Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think I can live with this...

.Guy.

Agree.

But that's just me, personally.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 09:33 PM ----------

disagree, what if I decide my purpose is the be the last person standing

Well, that's your right. But the decisions of others have put laws in place, created by government and enforced by police. So you wouldn't get far. You're taking it to the extreme.

Agree.

But that's just me, personally.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 09:33 PM ----------

Well, that's your right. But the decisions of others have put laws in place, created by government and enforced by police. So you wouldn't get far. You're taking it to the extreme.

You gravely underestimate the means

One can legally kill millions

Interesting. How so?

The men who do the most damage do not do so with their hands

For instance I could choose of life of politics, rising in power all the while working to enact law and repeal laws that protect people as more and more power comes and more connections are made situations can be manufactured to start wars

The men who do the most damage do not do so with their hands

For instance I could choose of life of politics, rising in power all the while working to enact law and repeal laws that protect people as more and more power comes and more connections are made situations can be manufactured to start wars

From an objective standpoint, I'd hardly say Hitler had the legal right to abuse the world as he did...

One can actually kill millions with their hand(s), just depends on if you are willing to consider the said organisms "alive" haha.

From an objective standpoint, I'd hardly say Hitler had the legal right to abuse the world as he did...

One can actually kill millions with their hand(s), just depends on if you are willing to consider the said organisms "alive" haha.

Hitler never leaves Germany who care the man was hailed by many and the people in Germany by and large were happy to do his bidding

Hitler never leaves Germany who care the man was hailed by many and the people in Germany by and large were happy to do his bidding

I am sort of confused by what you are saying so please confirm

Basically what you are trying to say is that without god giving peoples lives meaning there would be nothing to stop them from killing other people? And you are using Hitler as an example of this.

I would tend to agree with the lack of inherent meaning, but the EOG question I am undecided.

Sartre claimed in 'Existentialism and Human Emotions' that the EOG isn't even really the central question.... even people who accept the EOG still suffer from anguish over making choices where their belief system offers no clear guidance. He gave a few examples.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 10:15 PM ----------

OTOH, the scientist side of me says that human behavior is largely driven by natural forces, so our choices aren't really ours but are the result of biology and environment.

:-)

I am sort of confused by what you are saying so please confirm

Basically what you are trying to say is that without god giving peoples lives meaning there would be nothing to stop them from killing other people? And you are using Hitler as an example of this.

No I was mentioning Hitler in reposnse to someone already mentioning.

I am saying for me knowing I will answe for my actions and not being the ultimate authority keeps me in check.

I've always thought the purpose was rather simple. Leave the world better than you found it. I figure man's ultimate goal is to recreate Eden or paradice on Earth. Most days, I can't figure out if we're moving backwards or forwards in pursuit of that goal.

I've always thought the purpose was rather simple. Leave the world better than you found it. I figure man's ultimate goal is to recreate Eden or paradice on Earth. Most days, I can't figure out if we're moving backwards or forwards in pursuit of that goal.

I dont think we have the ability to grasp divine purpose because we are not divine.

I dont think we have the ability to grasp divine purpose because we are not divine.

What about when the Divine reveals the divine purpose to us?

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 09:40 AM ----------

If human life has no inherent meaning, would that mean that it also has no inherent value?

And the net result of that idea is wholly dangerous.

If human life has no inherent meaning, would that mean that it also has no inherent value?

If you consider us, as humans, to merely be highly evolved creatures, who happen to be bipeds, have opposable thumbs, and higher brain function, then no, I guess not. Do Elk look at each other and wonder if their lives have meaning or value? Of course not, because they don't have the capacity to do so. The only reason why we ask these deeper questions, and always have, and furthermore, come up with explanations, is because we have the capacity to do so. If other animals had brains that function as ours do, they would do the same.

If you consider us, as humans, to merely be highly evolved creatures, who happen to be bipeds, have opposable thumbs, and higher brain function, then no, I guess not. Do Elk look at each other and wonder if their lives have meaning or value? Of course not, because they don't have the capacity to do so. The only reason why we ask these deeper questions, and always have, and furthermore, come up with explanations, is because we have the capacity to do so. If other animals had brains that function as ours do, they would do the same.

Answer me this...why did you use elk in your rhetorical question? If you can answer that, the other answers fall into place.

I thought this thread was going to be you telling everyone you have an STD... :paranoid:

lol, is that how your STD thread started?

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 02:45 PM ----------

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, thanks for that guy

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 02:47 PM ----------

Oh joy another "there is no god but me" thread.

BTW.....disagree strongly.

we don't agree on a lot, but we do here!

Archived