Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Documentary Recommendations (Non Political)

Koolblue13

I have been watching a lot more docs the last year or so and was wondering if anybody had any input.

Being a vegetarian, I pay pretty close attention to what I eat, so I watch a lot of those. I have no real interest in anything political and especially "conspiracy" minded.

I've seen Gasland, Food Inc, Who Killed the Electric Car, Tapped and liked all of them.

I'm watching The End of the Line, No More Fish by 2048 right now and it's pretty alarming.

The Cove is a must see, but truly heart breaking.

On my list of going to watch movies are Babies, Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness", Earthlings and a few of Richard Dawkins films.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

http://www.coyopa.com/fridays-at-the-farm.html

That's an award winning 20 minute doc about a local coop farm near me that I would highly recommend.

"Exit Through the Gift Shop" is up for an Oscar this year and looks intriguing:

The story of how an eccentric French shop keeper and amateur film maker attempted to locate and befriend Banksy, only to have the artist turn the camera back on its owner. The film contains footage of Banksy, Shephard Fairey, Invader and many of the world's most infamous graffiti artists at work. Banksy is an amazing guerilla graffiti artist who has turned semi-legit and does some really cool public art pieces.

gsnX63KK2y0

the grizzly man. about a guy who spent his summers outdoors with grizzlies. some pretty good footage in there. overall, its about the psyche of that man, but its very entertaining.

I've seen that one. The guy is kind of a jack hole. There is another guy, whos name escapes me right now, who is a much smarter, more respectful person and has been living with bears for almost 20 straight years.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 01:44 PM ----------

Food Inc. It's about where our food actually comes from.

That movie should be mandatory public school curriculum.

I guess we are only talking film here? Currently, I am reading There Is No Me Without You which is a nonfiction book about a lady in Ethiopia whose husband and daughter die, and she ends up taking kids without parents. As AIDS ravages the country, more and more orphans come to her house. When she tell the church and the government to take them to another home because hers is full, they tell her there is no other home.

In a country with millions orphans due to AIDS and huge social stigmas, this lady opened her home for 2 and ended up serving scores. It's heart wrenching to read the plight of these kids taken or given to her as their best chance to survive often while still hoping they will be reunited with their parents. The story of the one kid hoarding what little food he had till his bed stank because he was hoping to go see his father again soon was a teer jerker.

The parts in it chronicaling our HIV and AIDS attention span here in the U.S. along with the impact our intellectual property right laws have had hurt too. Reading this, I think we may have killed more with our patent laws and our aggricultural subsidies than have ever been killed by our guns and bombs.

The parts in it chronicaling our HIV and AIDS attention span here in the U.S. along with the impact our intellectual property right laws have had hurt too. Reading this, I think we may have killed more with our patent laws and our aggricultural subsidies than have ever been killed by our guns and bombs.

I'm not much of a reader, but that does sound amazing. I also complete agree about the points you make. The way this country has handled AIDS and everything related is criminal. Of course, there are a ton of ways our way of doing things, hurt the rest of the world, more than they help.

Exit Through the Gift Shop is great.

Confessions of a Superhero, while being slightly depressing, is an interesting documentary about the people who dress up as superheroes and walk up and down Hollywood Boulevard, taking pictures with tourists for tips.

If you're interested in the beer industry, Beer Wars is okay. But the narrator can be kind of annoying.

Encounters at the End of the World is a nice Werner Herzog documentary about people that work in Antarctica.

Food, Inc. might be right up your alley.

A lot of my film buff buddies love Hoop Dreams. It's really long, though, so you might have to make time for it.

I've also heard good things about Philosopher Kings, which I've never seen, but from the premise it sounds like it's about a bunch of guys like Will Hunting.

No End In Sight. It's political, but it provides a very interesting perspective on Iraq.

Politics are things that are never going to change and I can't make a bit of difference, except throwing my vote away on an independent, so it gets too depressing. Watching the End of the Line, about fishing, will help me be mindful of what I eat. I can make a difference there. So I stopped eating commercial fish, just like I stopped eating meat. That's more the kind of thing that I like.

Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness

That is an amazing documentary. Unbelieveable what that man could do. I own it on DVD, and every time I watch it, it makes me feel like such a lazy ungrateful slob.

I'll also throw in another vote for Grizzly Man. Best Worst Movie was also interesting, it's about the ungodly horrible movie Troll 2.

Archived