Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

db: Gibbs: America Will Not Take Sides in Egypt

JMS

Rajab Hilal Hamida, a member of the Brotherhood in Egypt’s parliament:

From my point of view, bin Ladin, al-Zawahiri and al-Zarqawi are not terrorists in the sense accepted by some. I support all their activities, since they are a thorn in the side of the Americans and the Zionists. … [On the other hand,] he who kills Muslim citizens is neither a jihad fighter nor a terrorist, but a criminal murderer. We must call things by their proper names!

The Muslim Brotherhood’s most influential theologian, Sheikh Yousef al Qaradawi, has repeatedly justified suicide bombings, called on Muslims to support the insurgency against American forces in Iraq, and justified the killing of civilians. “The martyrdom operations carried out by the Palestinian factions to resist the Zionist occupation are not in any way included in the framework of prohibited terrorism, even if the victims include some civilians," Qaradawi said in 2003, according to MEMRI. “Those who oppose martyrdom operations and claim that they are suicide are making a great mistake,” Qaradawi added.

The Egyptian branch has asked Qaradawi to be its leader on multiple occasions, but he has turned them down to continue living it Qatar. Qaradawi has flourished in the Persian Gulf nation, where he has hosted one of Al Jazeera’s most popular programs, “Sharia and Life.”

Qaradawi has never “renounced violence” and it says much that the Egyptian Brotherhood looks to him as its de facto spiritual leader.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/muslim-brotherhood-no-friend_537572.html

Rajab Hilal Hamida, a member of the Brotherhood in Egypt’s parliament:

From my point of view, bin Ladin, al-Zawahiri and al-Zarqawi are not terrorists in the sense accepted by some. I support all their activities, since they are a thorn in the side of the Americans and the Zionists. … [On the other hand,] he who kills Muslim citizens is neither a jihad fighter nor a terrorist, but a criminal murderer. We must call things by their proper names!

The Muslim Brotherhood’s most influential theologian, Sheikh Yousef al Qaradawi, has repeatedly justified suicide bombings, called on Muslims to support the insurgency against American forces in Iraq, and justified the killing of civilians. “The martyrdom operations carried out by the Palestinian factions to resist the Zionist occupation are not in any way included in the framework of prohibited terrorism, even if the victims include some civilians," Qaradawi said in 2003, according to MEMRI. “Those who oppose martyrdom operations and claim that they are suicide are making a great mistake,” Qaradawi added.

The Egyptian branch has asked Qaradawi to be its leader on multiple occasions, but he has turned them down to continue living it Qatar. Qaradawi has flourished in the Persian Gulf nation, where he has hosted one of Al Jazeera’s most popular programs, “Sharia and Life.”

Qaradawi has never “renounced violence” and it says much that the Egyptian Brotherhood looks to him as its de facto spiritual leader.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/muslim-brotherhood-no-friend_537572.html

I was going to go point by point with that article but luckily someone else has and has sourced it pretty well.

http://donemmerich.blogspot.com/2011/02/pay-no-attention-to-lunatic-right-why.html

Pay No Attention to the Lunatic Right: Why Americans Shouldn’t Fear the Muslim Brotherhood

(Updated Below)

The Hosni Mubarak Fan Club just keeps growing bigger and bigger. From Bill O’Reilly and Pamella Geller (those two really ought to tie the knot) to John Bolton and Mike Huckabee, the Lunatic Right continues explaining why we can’t let democracy prevail in Egypt. Because, they warn, if Egyptians are given freedom, then they’ll just turn to the Muslim Brotherhood, which, don’t ya know, is an organization comprised of “jihadists who hate America and who will help al-Qaeda all day long” (O’Reilly).

Unsurprisingly, all this shrieking about the Muslim Brotherhood being in league with al-Qaeda has no basis in reality. The Brotherhood has long renounced violence. Writing in Foreign Affairs, Robert S. Leiken and Steven Brooke chronicle [.pdf] how the Brotherhood rejected the more radical teachings of Sayyid Qutb (rightly referred to as the father of global Islamic terrorism) in the 1950s and 1960s. In the years that followed, the group “followed the path of toleration and eventually came to find democracy compatible with its notion of slow Islamization.”

On the other hand: “Having lost the internal struggle for the Brotherhood, the radicals regrouped outside it, in sects that sought to topple regimes throughout the Muslim world. (Groups such as al Jihad would furnish the Egyptian core of al Qaeda.) These jihadists view the Brotherhood’s embrace of democracy as blasphemy.”

Far from engaging in terrorism, Leiken and Brooke write that it appears that the Brotherhood today “works to dissuade Muslims from violence, instead channeling them into politics and charitable activities.” It’s not surprising then that, as Nathan Brown of George Washington University writes, al-Qaeda “openly and consistently attacks the Brotherhood as having sold out.”

Of course, such facts as these aren’t going to get in the way of the Lunatic Right. Writing in the Weekly Standard, Thomas Joscelyn insists that the Muslim Brotherhood really does have al-Qaeda ties. As proof, he points to “Rajab Hilal Hamida, a member of the Brotherhood in Egypt’s parliament,” who has publicly defended the likes of bin Laden and al-Zawahiri. Of course, if you do a simple Google search, you’ll learn that, unlike Joscelyn claims, Rajab Hilal Hamida isn’t actually a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. He’s a member of the secular Ghad Party, as can be evidenced here and here and here. So much for Joscelyn’s first argument.

Trying to further establish the Muslim Brotherhood-al-Qaeda connection, Joscelyn writes that “just this week CNN reported that the Saudis found in a recent investigation that the Muslim Brotherhood maintains ties to al Qaeda.” But if you read the CNN report, you’ll learn that Saudi Arabia didn’t conclude that “the Muslim Brotherhood maintains ties to al-Qaeda.” Rather, Saudi Arabia concluded that “some in the Muslim Brotherhood had ‘historic sympathies and connection’ with members of the terror group.” Given that there are millions of members within the Muslim Brotherhood, this is hardly surprising, and it doesn’t prove anything about the organization as a whole. In the same way, noting that some US soldiers kill Afghan civilians for fun and collect their fingers as trophies doesn’t prove that the US Army [as a whole] does this.

Now I don’t write any of this to suggest that the Muslim Brotherhood is a perfectly benevolent organization with perfectly pacifistic members who have all fully embraced the tenets of secular democracy. It definitely has its problems. (For more on this, see the Crisis Group’s 2008 report, “Egypt’s Muslim Brothers: Confrontation or Integration?”) But although the group has its problems, it’s simply preposterous to conclude, along with O’Reilly and Joscelyn, that it is allied with al-Qaeda.

As Leiken and Brooke write, “The Brotherhood is a collection of national groups with differing outlooks, and the various factions disagree about how best to advance its mission. But all reject global jihad while embracing elections and other features of democracy.” For this reason, it’s important that the Obama administration follow the advice of former CIA Officer Bruce Riedel and “not be afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood. Living with it won’t be easy but it should not be seen as inevitably our enemy.”

Egypt’s main opposition party, the Muslim Brotherhood, have rejected calls by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei for an Islamic Revolution similar to the Iranian revolution of 1979 to be established in Egypt.

“The MB regards the revolution as the Egyptian People’s Revolution not an Islamic Revolution” said a statement published on the Muslim Brotherhood’s official website just hours after Khamenei’s remarks on Friday, while “asserting that the Egyptian People’s Revolution includes Muslims, Christians, from all sects and political.”

I really don't understand what the right is so upset about. Less then a decade ago, spreading democracy to the Middle East was the new, hip thing. Now, we should discourage it?

You can have democracy as long as you vote for who they want you to vote for.

Again, they can prove their sincerity by fully endorsing individual rights and freedoms

I'll be watching.

To stem membership losses and make the Klan more palatable to a larger potential base of supporters, the Knights' leader, Thom Robb, 48, has attempted to clean up the Klan's rhetoric - "we don't hate blacks, we just love whites" - and has renounced violence.:silly:

The Ku Klux Klan claims to have renounced violence and distanced itself from neo-Nazi groups.

Been selling that crap for decades...it still smells

How is it a gimmick if they don't actually commit violence? They have had plenty of opportunities in the last 2 decades, they have had violent elements they could have embraced instead they kicked them out. They have consistently and without fail called for democracy and rights the past 2 or 3 decades so how is any of this a gimmick? The facts are that the Brotherhood has been nothing more than a (banned) political party or social organization and has consistently condemned violence even while their members were being snatched up detained without trial tortured and killed. How in the world do you come to the conclusion that the Brotherhood in their current form is a violent organization?

Dude, they have "muslim" in their name. /discussion

Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining...I support reform and individual freedom and rights

Does the Brotherhood?...seems to be in doubt.

http://www.trumanproject.org/posts/2011/02/nine-questions-about-muslim-brotherhood

Yeah lets ignore all the facts on the ground, the political makeup of the protests, and the actual stated position of the organization to ask questions about whether or not the a new government would act in the exact same way as the old one. Heres a hint, it won't.

Why do some people assume that a group will be able to act unilaterally in all aspects, that is utterly foolish and just ridiculously shallow and hollow analysis. They ignore the situation and make up their own facts on the ground frankly, its idiotic. Anyone with half a brain can see that this is a hell of a complex situation yet some people have zero ability to reason other then black and white everything total power or nothing. Its incredible the amount of "intelligent" people who seem to either not realize what they are doing or are willing to willfully ignore facts and reality to create their narrative. Its simply ridiculous and looking through yet another bull**** hypothetical that takes zero actual analysis or intelligence and contributes nothing at all to reasoned discussion is frustrating because there are a hell of a lot of intelligent competent people out there and these clowns keep getting trotted out. Its unbelievable really.

Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining...I support reform and individual freedom and rights

Does the Brotherhood?...seems to be in doubt.

http://www.trumanproject.org/posts/2011/02/nine-questions-about-muslim-brotherhood

No you support things when you feel it is okay and agrees with your belief system which is influenced by politics

Now do you represent all on the right?

Some of Botherhood may be in a group that supports rights and others may be more religous.

Governments should stay secular. The name Muslim Brotherhood itself is enough to oppose many to whatever their cause may be, if there wasn't some religious undertone why wouldn't they have picked a different name.

I don't think they'd win the elections anyways, this movement was started by the younger generation on a facebook group. If they really want a democracy then they'll go out and vote and I doubt they would support a theocracy.

Don't see the Christians in Egypt voting for the Muslim Brotherhood either.

Yeah lets ignore all the facts on the ground, the political makeup of the protests, and the actual stated position of the organization to ask questions about whether or not the a new government would act in the exact same way as the old one. Heres a hint, it won't.

The political makeup of the protests means little...the results do

I eagerly await being proven wrong on the Brotherhood...by the Brotherhood itself

Don't know if this has been touched on yet, but some people are theorizing that Mubarak did this to try to incite violence. To justify him cracking down on the protesters. I imagine they want nothing more than to burn the ***** down (I know I was hoping they would string him up like Mussolini) but I think this theory makes sense and I hope they stay the course and don't fall into the trap.

The other option is that Mubarak is so cut off from reality that he doesn't fully grasp his situation. When it comes to dictators the first thing that comes to my mind is always that scene from Downfall where Hitler is ranting and raving in his bunker about maneuvers with nonexistent military units that will turn the tide of the war, while the Soviet's are three blocks away and the German military is made up of old men and 12 year old boys.

Or it's a combination of both. That Mubarak is locked inside his own world and nothing more than a figurehead being used by those wanting to replace him. Hoping to use him to incite the protesters to violence to crackdown and cement their future rule.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 11:33 PM ----------

Governments should stay secular. The name Muslim Brotherhood itself is enough to oppose many to whatever their cause may be, if there wasn't some religious undertone why wouldn't they have picked a different name.

Who has ever argued that religion isn't part of the group? It's a conservative Muslim group. Like the religious right. Doesn't mean they're evil though.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 11:36 PM ----------

The political makeup of the protests means little...the results do

I eagerly await being proven wrong on the Brotherhood...by the Brotherhood itself

What are you even arguing is going to happen? And how could you be proven wrong?

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 11:45 PM ----------

6a00d83451c45669e2014e5f20ce08970c-550wi

I wish the protesters could take over the state television/radio building.

I don't know if they can without a blood bath though.

We'll have to see what happens today.

They're showing an interview with Ghonim on CNN (might be old).

He said he's turning over all his money to his family, because he might die.

Ah, I'm pretty sure I saw part of this last night too.

This morning's updates:

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/10/live-blog-feb-11-egypt-protests

8:30am A video posted on Youtube shows a solidarity protest song titled Sout al Horeya, 'the sound of freedom', by Moustafa Fahmy, Mohamed Khalifa, and Mohamed Shaker.

"I went down and I said I am not coming back, and I wrote on every street wall that I am not coming back.

"All barriers have been broken down, our weapon was our dream, and the future is crystal clear to us, we have been waiting for a long time, we are still searching for our place, we keep searching for a place we belong too, in every corner in our country.

Fgw_zfLLvh8

Cool song too.

8:50am Mona Seif, an activist, posted this image of pro-democracy protesters this morning outside the national TV building. She wrote on her Twitter feed: A new morning, a new liberated area, national tv building #Jan25

TV.jpg

9:51am An army officer joining protests in Cairo's Tahrir Square says 15 other middle-ranking officers have also gone over to the demonstrators.

"The armed forces' solidarity movement with the people has begun," Major Ahmed Ali Shouman tells Reuters.

10:07am Egypt state TV reported that they have not been able to enter or leave the building since last night.

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

10:43am Photo sent in by journalism student @ghazalairshad from Tahrir Square with caption "broken bones but not broken spirit".

Broken_Bones_Not_Spirit1.jpg

11:27am Vice-President Omar Suleiman has told Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq to appoint a deputy premier from a council of "wise men" who have been in talks with the government. The state news agency says the deputy prime minister would take responsibility for "a national dialogue".

Musa? Maybe?

Not really sure what this means.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 05:03 AM ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

BREAKING NEWS: Military statement from Egypt's armed forces: Egyptian army announces that it will lift the state of emergency when the current situation ends
#0955: The military statement says the armed forces will protect the implementation of promised reforms including free and fair presidential elections. It calls the demands of the protesters "legitimate" and says it will not pursue those who have rejected corruption and called for reform.
#0955: Blogger and activist Sandmonkey tweets: "The army just neutralised itself. They won't remove the president, but will ensure that the people's demands will be met #jan25."

Apparently the military has totally surrounded the presidential palace with tanks and troops and barbed wire, but the protesters are shouting them down whenever they try to read the military statement. Also people from the balconies of the palace occasionally talking back and forth with the protesters. (this all according to the live coverage on Al Jazeera now)

They're saying that the imam in Tahrir Square who was giving the speech today passed out earlier as he was calling for the army to intervene on the side of the protesters.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 05:52 AM ----------

#1026: Journalist Shahira Amin, deputy editor of state-run Nile TV until she resigned last week, is outside her old office in Cairo and tells the BBC World Service that about 1,000 protesters have gathered there. "People aren't allowed into the building or out," she says. There are no signs that the demonstrators intend to storm the building. "They are very, very angry, but so far there has been self-restraint and control."

For some reason Al Jazeera is blacked out on my tv right now.

I'm getting sound, but no picture.

The other channels seem fine.

(right now they're going over sports anyway)

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/10/live-blog-feb-11-egypt-protests

12:20pm Pro-democracy protesters continue to pour into Tahrir [Liberation] Square in Cairo. They call for president Mubarak to step down. The Imam during the Friday prayer in the square urged the people to stay strong and stick to their demands.

jomaaa.jpg

What are you even arguing is going to happen? And how could you be proven wrong?

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 11:45 PM ----------

I'm simply warning against another possible dictator

You want to prevent it?....require freedom and rights for all.

SHF....the Brotherhood opposes any of those amazing women from being the leader of Egypt

#1100: BBC Arab affairs analyst Magdi Abdelhadi reports from Cairo that there's little confidence that the army or the government will deliver on the president's promises. Most of the cabinet appointed by Mubarak was made up of old loyalists and the army leadership itself is handpicked by the president, he says.
#1102: More from Magdi Abdelhadi: Many of those in power have promised free elections in the past, promises that have never been fulfilled. The protesters feel that staying on the street is the only way to ensure a genuine transition.
#1104: A German government spokesman says what President Mubarak promised was "not enough", Reuters reports. "These developments remain hopeful, but also of course give us considerable worry whether the protests remain peaceful," spokesman Steffen Seibert says.

The army is checking press IDs and had to pull over the CNN reporter who was talking on CNN about what was going on in Cairo.

----------

There doesn't seem to be much or any room left in Tahrir Square already and it's still very early for them. There's expected to be a lot more people coming.

Protesters in Alexandria have pretty much covered the main street there.

Alexandria.JPG

I can't even guess how far that crowd stretches.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 06:29 AM ----------

Ok, now I'm not getting Al Jazeera at all on tv...WTH?

Ahhh, it's completely back now!

Although it flashed a bit there.

Hmmm. Weird.

And now it's stuck on one picture with no sound....Grrr.

Ok, it's back with sound but no picture again, lmao.

They're saying that the protesters are informing people to go to Tahrir Square and then head elsewhere from there.

The reporter on CNN was saying a moment ago that the crowd is the largest he has seen this early.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 06:49 AM ----------

1144: To start us off, Samar Samy in Mansoura says: "I am a medical student in Mansoura and my college is a organising a massive march from the university to the centre of town where the protests are. They are all going to wear white coats to show that even doctors - considered the elite of the community - are anti-Mubarak. Me and my whole family are going to the protests now. We are angry at Mubarak's speech. He once again gave us a list of empty promises."

I'm not quite sure where Mansoura is, but apparently there's going to be a lot of protests there today if these folks are coming out and there's already people out there protesting that they are supposed to join.

Al Jazeera is showing massive crowds protesting in Mansoura now.

Alexandria looks amazingly electric right now. The people are really making a lot of noise.

I can't imagine what the people not protesting must be hearing from their houses or mosques.

The crowd is heading towards the palace where King Farouk made his final speech before being ousted by a coup decades ago.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 07:02 AM ----------

The Military Council is about to announce statement number 3...oh man.

According to a general on Al Jazeera.

13:30pm Thousands of pro-democracy protesters in Mahala, Tanta, Alexandria, Ismailia, and Suez took to the streets chanting "Mubarak must go"

picpic680.jpg

#1156: The atmosphere is not so good elsewhere, apparently. Arwa Mahmoud tweets from outside the presidential palace: "Protesters in presidential palace are very vulnerable to thug attacks. Hardly any filtering. This is dangerous. #jan25 #egypt.
#1157: Background to that tweet from Arwa Mahmoud. Protesters have been checking people entering Tahrir Sqaure to guard against infiltration from pro-Mubarak groups. He's now concerned that is not happening outside the palace.

Al Jazeera is showing hundreds of thousands of protesters swarming the streets and heading to the presidential palace.

Apparently there is a call in Alexandria for people to head out of every single mosque and every single church to take to the streets and join the protests.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 07:23 AM ----------

Al Jazeera is going back and forth between footage from the main spots in Cairo and some of the other cities.

from Reuters:

Al Arabiya adjusts earlier reports, says Mubarak and his family left Cairo, not Egypt

Al Jazeera says things are getting very tense outside the state tv building.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 07:36 AM ----------

#1233: Strong words from the prime minister of Denmark, who has called explicitly for Hosni Mubarak to step down, the Associated Press reports. "Mubarak is history, Mubarak must step down," Lars Loekke Rasmussen said in Copenhagen.

CNN doesn't seem to realize that people are already protesting at the Presidential Palace, lol.

MSNBC is talking to Oprah. Exciting.

Protesters have swarmed outside government buildings in Suez now too.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 07:51 AM ----------

#1247: Intrigue now surrounds the whereabouts of President Mubarak. Two separate reports - one from Israeli TV and one from Arab TV network al-Arabiya - say Mr Mubarak has now left Cairo. The Israeli report, from Channel 10, says he has gone to the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, where he has a villa.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 07:56 AM ----------

The Al Jazeera reporter at the State TV building says the barriers have been pushed or moved away. (I assume the military are still there though).

There seems to be a long line of people standing and shouting and then another line of protesters behind them sitting down farther back. It seems that this will be a campsite soon, like Tahrir.

The military has reportedly blocked the road leading to the presidential palace.

Considering that there's thousands there already, it may be a bit late.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 08:00 AM ----------

#BREAKING NEWS: Senior Western official tells the BBC Hosni Mubarak has left Cairo.

2:55pm In last 10 minutes the barbed wire barrier on the 6th of October bridge was removed and large group of protesters making their way to the area around the state television building.
3:02pm Heavy security contingent surrounding the presidential palace in Alexandria with snipers on top of all the buildings surrounding the area - protestors continue streaming towards the palace.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 08:13 AM ----------

Seriously. Major history being made and MSNBC has on Oprah.

It could be worse.

They could have had on Olberman.

:pfft:

:ols:

Seriously though, that was weird.

And now they're interviewing David Axlerod about the changes that Obama made when he came into office.

Archived