Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

db: Gibbs: America Will Not Take Sides in Egypt

JMS

Just because it was before you were born does not mean Egypt(nor it's leaders) forget.

Kinda like the Klan...just a social movement

The Brotherhood has essentially been a whole bunch of nothing for a generation now. The Klan controlled the south for 100 years after the Civil War until LBJ crushed them.

The analogy is way off

After all, isn't that the very principal this country was founded on?

No it was individual rights,not simply democratic rule

The Brotherhood can reassure me by emphatic support of individual rights.

Call me crazy,but I don't trust them nor the Christian Coalition to protect my well being.

added

The Klan controlled the South SHF?:ols:

The only reason why I'm not too keen on Muslim Brotherhood is because I'm weary of any religious-political party/movement. I'm a firm believer in keeping those things separate. I have a feeling Muslim Brotherhood would try to blur that line. It's on that principal alone that I'm reluctant to accept them.

But, it all seems moot. They seem to be a very small part of this and anti-Mubarak protesters seem to be interested in a purely secular government.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 07:02 PM ----------

Call me crazy,but I don't trust them nor the Christian Coalition to protect my well being.

I'm not talking about the Brotherhood. I'm talking about the protesters as a whole; and it seems to me that they're after exactly that.

added

The Klan controlled the South SHF?:ols:

The Klan still supports some violence and hasn't changed their violent rhetoric so the comparison isn't apt at all.

Breaking: Security Expert: Mubarak's address is a cut and paste edit of prerecorded messages. Mubarak is not in the country. This is the remaining regime's last push

Been hearing that all day from some of my Egyptian friends, weird if true, there was definitely a cut in there. Interesting if true

The Klan still supports some violence and hasn't changed their violent rhetoric so the comparison isn't apt at all.

The Brotherhood supports violence and uses violent rhetoric(specifically against Israel and India)

The Brotherhood supports violence and uses violent rhetoric(specifically against Israel and India)

Supports violence? Where? Lets get some concrete examples of the Brotherhood committing violence, because the past 20 some odd years as an organization they have renounced all violence and thrown out violent members.

Still calling for Jihad is advocating and supporting violence....they didn't throw out Hamas

The Klan is a social organization too

I see the Klan is a social organization is your talking point for tonight.

Where has the Muslim Brotherhood as an organization called for violent Jihad since 1990?

Well its a good thing we are talking about Palestine, oh wait we aren't the Egyptian Brotherhood is different from other branches that formed independently in different countries. Since the 1980's when has the Brotherhood in Egypt committed or endorsed violence as an organization?

I see the Klan is a social organization is your talking point for tonight.

Where has the Muslim Brotherhood as an organization called for violent Jihad since 1990?

Well its a good thing we are talking about Palestine, oh wait we aren't the Egyptian Brotherhood is different from other branches that formed independently in different countries. Since the 1980's when has the Brotherhood in Egypt committed or endorsed violence as an organization?

Pretty apparent to me that he's got nothing, just like many of the other pro-Mubarak folks.

And that's wild about the Mubarak's speech being a fake.

If the speech is a fake, then that raises all kinds of tinfoil-esque speculation. Seems to me that if it's a fake, then the only thing we know for sure is that it didn't come from Mubarak.

Mubarak would have just made a new tape. (Unless maybe he's in "an undisclosed location", and he's afraid to even appear in front of a State TV camera crew.)

I think I'd be trying to spread the word among the protesters that the speech was a fake, as loudly and as quickly as possible.

One scenario that's going through my head is that the fake speech was put together by the Veep (or the military), whi intend to let the protesters run wild for a few hours, massacre a bunch of them, and then announce that the President has been killed by rioters, but I put down the riots, and I'm in charge now.

Keep narrowing it down in hope of justification

I see a number of similarities between the Klan and the Brotherhood...including renouncing violence as a gimmick.

How is it a gimmick if they don't actually commit violence? They have had plenty of opportunities in the last 2 decades, they have had violent elements they could have embraced instead they kicked them out. They have consistently and without fail called for democracy and rights the past 2 or 3 decades so how is any of this a gimmick? The facts are that the Brotherhood has been nothing more than a (banned) political party or social organization and has consistently condemned violence even while their members were being snatched up detained without trial tortured and killed. How in the world do you come to the conclusion that the Brotherhood in their current form is a violent organization?

Pro-Mubarak?....I think not

Certainly not pro-Brotherhood either

I don't know if anyone here is pro-Brotherhood, I am certainly not, however it is important to have a reasoned discussion about them because they are a political element and they play a large role in the lives of a lot of impoverished Egyptians. While I would rather someone like Nour form the coalition government I am not particularly afraid of a Brotherhood coalition.

Supports violence? Where? Lets get some concrete examples of the Brotherhood committing violence, because the past 20 some odd years as an organization they have renounced all violence and thrown out violent members.

Why are you letting him suck you in to arguing about the Muslim Brotherhood? This thing isn't about the MB. Mubarak wants you to think it is, and Glenn Beck wants you to think it is, but it really isn't. It's about the Egyptians at least having a halfway decent chance to improve their government.

Why are you letting him suck you in to arguing about the Muslim Brotherhood? This thing isn't about the MB. Mubarak wants you to think it is, and Glenn Beck wants you to think it is, but it really isn't. It's about the Egyptians at least having a halfway decent chance to improve their government.

Because the Brotherhood is going to continue to be an important player in any government and I think its best to get all this bull**** out of the way because we will be hearing about them for a while. Might as well try to crush it as it comes instead of letting a narrative build. But your right this revolution isn't about the Brotherhood this is about the people of Egypt fighting for freedom.

. How in the world do you come to the conclusion that the Brotherhood in their current form is a violent organization?

Muslim Brotherhood calls for the Arab and Islamic Jihad with the support of the Kashmiri people against Indian occupation,

and the ever popular

* Proved Zionists once again that the negotiations - whether direct or indirect - can not achieve anything for the Palestinians will not be more than being a new episode of the failure, which began since the Oslo agreement, which underlines the importance of the choice of resistance as the only option for the return of the occupied territories and the establishment of a Palestinian state and Jerusalem as its capital , the entire land of Palestine is the land of Arabism and Islam, and on this occasion we salute the heroes of the Palestinian resistance, the brave of all the factions to the land of Rabat, who face the power of the occupation's terrorism and the weakness of the security services of the Authority and its handling of shame with the occupier unjust, and we z Rorp do all the children of Arab and Islamic nation support resistance to be the best support them with money, weapons and attitudes; as a prelude to the nation and the spearhead in the face of the project Alzioomriki colonial expansion.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ar&u=http://www.ikhwanonline.com/Article.asp%3FArtID%3D70391%26SecID%3D118&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmuslim%2Bbrotherhood%2Barabic%2Bsite%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DlH4%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Divnsu&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhhgGrnYu0PIOwBsUTXILa2qodiOJQ

Muslim Brotherhood calls for the Arab and Islamic Jihad with the support of the Kashmiri people against Indian occupation,

and the ever popular

* Proved Zionists once again that the negotiations - whether direct or indirect - can not achieve anything for the Palestinians will not be more than being a new episode of the failure, which began since the Oslo agreement, which underlines the importance of the choice of resistance as the only option for the return of the occupied territories and the establishment of a Palestinian state and Jerusalem as its capital , the entire land of Palestine is the land of Arabism and Islam, and on this occasion we salute the heroes of the Palestinian resistance, the brave of all the factions to the land of Rabat, who face the power of the occupation's terrorism and the weakness of the security services of the Authority and its handling of shame with the occupier unjust, and we z Rorp do all the children of Arab and Islamic nation support resistance to be the best support them with money, weapons and attitudes; as a prelude to the nation and the spearhead in the face of the project Alzioomriki colonial expansion.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ar&u=http://www.ikhwanonline.com/Article.asp%3FArtID%3D70391%26SecID%3D118&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmuslim%2Bbrotherhood%2Barabic%2Bsite%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DlH4%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Divnsu&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhhgGrnYu0PIOwBsUTXILa2qodiOJQ

So they call for Palestinians to resist Israeli occupation and expansion? Thats not exactly groundbreaking.

Edit: Also things like google translate can really change the tone and message of a text especially one as different as Arabic, so I would be careful working through those translations.

Archived