Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

db: Gibbs: America Will Not Take Sides in Egypt

JMS

This is exactly what he wants.

He has pulled the police from all over the country, so crime is rising, and people outside of Cairo and Alexandria are getting more and more scared. He wants a violent confrotation that he can blame on the protestors and where he can be the only poissible "law and order," and he wants the average uneducated Egyptian to blame the protestors rather than him.

The sad thing is that it will probably work if he can hold out long enough.

Honestly I doubt that will work, people are too angry and everyone knows what he has been doing with the police and with the criminals,, its basically whether or not the army will let the protesters overthrow the government. The average Egyptian knows exactly who the cause of all this is. The only way he stops this is using the military and live fire which I dont think will happen.

This is exactly what he wants.

He has pulled the police from all over the country, so crime is rising, and people outside of Cairo and Alexandria are getting more and more scared. He wants a violent confrotation that he can blame on the protestors and where he can be the only poissible "law and order," and he wants the average uneducated Egyptian to blame the protestors rather than him.

The sad thing is that it will probably work if he can hold out long enough.

We'll have to see. More and more people are seeing the protests as they go to work. And the more people that protest from every sector of society the more it will trickle down to everyone else just what the protesters are really about.

Also apparently State TV has been now showing a lot of footage of the crowds in Tahrir though maybe not with sound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

#2218: The BBC's Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen sums up a fast-moving few house: There was a meeting of the army's high command without the president or vice president, and afterwards they issued a communique saying they would safeguard the wishes of the people. It seemed very much like the army had taken control of the country - indeed that is how it was written up by some people. But Mr Mubarak is a military man, he has connections there. And it seems like army may not be speaking with one voice at the moment.

Ok, this just seems odd to me:

#2223: Reacting to the latest developments, France's President Nicolas Sarkozy says: "I hope with all my heart for Egypt's nascent democracy that they take time to create the structures and principles that will help them find the path to democracy and not another form of dicatorship, religious dicatorship, like what happened in Iran."

The timing of this seems off.

#2220: Heba Elkayal tweets: "Let's not lose the respect&credibility we've gained by turning violent, kill them with peace #jan25 #Egypt."

I heard a few minutes ago that the crowds maybe dispersing. There maybe a sit in at the television station, too.

Tomorrow was supposed to be the biggest day of protests yet and that was before all this, I cant even imagine how many people will be out tomorrow.

#2227: Witnesses in Egyptian Rafah say an Egyptian security forces facility came under attack from local Bedouins and there is an ongoing gunfire, but no news of any casualties, reports the BBC's Jon Donnison in Gaza City.
#2233: Mohamed ElBaradei tweets: "Egypt will explode. Army must save the country now."

Zakaria on CNN says that the government may be wanting protesters to march to the palace and be violent and give them an excuse to crack down.

He says this may be exactly what Mubarak wants..

My thoughts too. H'e attempting to manufacture an excuse to "put down the riot to save Egypt".

#2227: Witnesses in Egyptian Rafah say an Egyptian security forces facility came under attack from local Bedouins and there is an ongoing gunfire, but no news of any casualties, reports the BBC's Jon Donnison in Gaza City.

The Sand People are easily frightened, but they'll soon return. And in greater numbers.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

Damn this is exciting, really.

~Bang

May you live in interesting times.

Egyptian Ambassador to US sayin President just gave all his power to his VP except removing parliment or amending the constitution. Don't know where that leaves Mobarak, cause technically he's still president.

Seems like he's just a figure head. Regardless, this is not what the protesters asked for, and they are still pissed.

May you live in interesting times.

Frankly, my man, I'm about tired of interesting times, myself. Seems to be all we've lived through.

I'd be glad if my last three or four decades are as boring as can be.

But as far as interesting goes, it's hard to top watching this play out.

~Bang

Seems like he's just a figure head. Regardless, this is not what the protesters asked for, and they are still pissed.

something feels fishy to me. On CNN I keep hearing the ambassador state and restate the term "under the constitution" Is there a loophole or special clause buried deep in there that makes him still retaining power?

something feels fishy to me. On CNN I keep hearing the ambassador state and restate the term "under the constitution" Is there a loophole or special clause buried deep in there that makes him still retaining power?

Emergency Law supersedes the constitution. So it really means nothing.

He sounded very, very nervous during the interview. I'm not sure what's going to happen.

They're talking to a protester right now.

Emergency Law supersedes the constitution. So it really means nothing.[/quote

Got it. Thank You for that, it makes sense to me. So if any of this were to actually be meaningful, the VP or defacto pres, would need to recind the emergency order.

If he did, would that be enough? (I'm thinking probably not as long as Mubaric is the President formally )

Emergency Law supersedes the constitution. So it really means nothing.[/quote

Got it. Thank You for that, it makes sense to me. So if any of this were to actually be meaningful, the VP or defacto pres, would need to recind the emergency order.

If he did, would that be enough? (I'm thinking probably not as long as Mubaric is the President formally )

I think nothing short of the whole regime being thrown out will satisfy the protesters, everyone knows who Suleiman is and there is no way they will let him stay in power. The emergency law being rescinded is one of a laundry lists of demands. It is something that must be addressed but only after Mubarak and Suleiman are out. Suleiman is tied to Mubarak now they are both surviving or going down together.

Emergency Law supersedes the constitution. So it really means nothing.

I think at this point, it's going to be hard to convince the protesters of anything with just words.

It's not just the fact that Mubarak has given them nothing more than they already had the last couple of weeks.

(The VP has been in charge of most everything anyway and I suspect he's behind a lot of the violence.)

Or that they keep making vague promises about possible reforms months from now.

They've also gone about it in really insulting ways.

I'm hearing a lot of talk of the army being divided and in factions now.

El Baradai is on CNN right now.

#2253: Robert Springborg, from the US Naval Postgraduate School tells Reuters Egypt's leaders are desperate men. He says: "The speeches tonight are not intended to bring an end to the crisis in a peaceful way but to inflame the situation so there is justification for the imposition of direct military rule. They are risking not only the coherence of the military, but even indeed - and I use this term with advisement here - civil war."

I think nothing short of the whole regime being thrown out will satisfy the protesters, everyone knows who Suleiman is and there is no way they will let him stay in power. The emergency law being rescinded is one of a laundry lists of demands. It is something that must be addressed but only after Mubarak and Suleiman are out. Suleiman is tied to Mubarak now they are both surviving or going down together.

Suleiman really stepped on his crank two days ago when he anounced that the emergency state which has been in place since the early 1980's which invalidates the protections in the Egyptian constitution would need to remain in place and worse that nearly three weeks into these protests; He did not believe Egypt was ready for Democracy.

How can anybody advocate for that guy to remain in power for seven more months knowing he doesn't believe free and fair elections should be the result of that grace period... Even given Mubarik said he does.

I'm hearing a lot of talk of the army being divided and in factions now.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I think the first page in the "how to live to be a ripe old Dictator handbook" is "Never, ever, allow a competent, popular commander to become a General, unless you have some lever with which to control him."

(I think that's why Latin American revolutions always seem to be run by Colonels.)

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I think the first page in the "how to live to be a ripe old Dictator handbook" is "Never, ever, allow a competent, popular commander to become a General, unless you have some lever with which to control him."

(I think that's why Latin American revolutions always seem to be run by Colonels.)

I never thought about it that way (Latin American) but it makes a ton of sense.

Archived