Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

db: Gibbs: America Will Not Take Sides in Egypt

JMS

From the Arabic Site

http://www.ikhwanismailia.com/

Statement of the Muslim Brotherhood: Islam against the religious state so we reject

Brotherhood's statement on the fourteenth day of the People's Revolution

Newspaper (The Telegraph): Brotherhood standing next revolution

Brotherhood: withdrawal of the dialogue based not serious if we

Statement from the Muslim Brotherhood about the dialogue session with the Vice President of the Republic

Ismaili brothers mourn the father of Mohamed Suleiman

Brotherhood studying the legal response to the advocates of bullying against the group

Statement from the Muslim Brotherhood on the events of Good Friday 04/02/2011

Ismaili demonstrators raised pictures of the martyrs of freedom

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/10/live-blog-feb-10-egypt-protests

12:00pm The newly appointed Culture Minister, Gaber Asfour, has quit. His family say it's due to health reasons but Egypt's main daily newspaper al-Ahram says Asfour, who's also a writer, was criticised by his literary colleagues for taking the post.

He was the only new face in the new cabinet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/feb/10/egypt-middleeast

Mubarak is not present at the military supreme council meeting, according to footage the military has released – something al-Jazeera claims is significant.

Apparently Mubarak is supposed to announce tonight that he is leaving.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 11:56 AM ----------

I am hearing that Suleiman may be out to and the military will take control. If Suleiman takes power I don't think the protests will stop. Either way a great day for Egypt if he goes.

People are pouring into Tahrir square in anticipation of something big. I hope they aren't disappointed

I also hope they control themselves if Mubarak does step down. I can see people going too far in celebrating too, lol.

CNN is saying that a snr. Egyptian official is saying the military will take over and that it is a consensus not a coup.

State television is supposedly showing a lot of promos with protesters shaking hands with the military.

They're showing it on CNN now.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 12:59 PM ----------

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/10/egypt.protests/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Cairo, Egypt (CNN) -- President Hosni Mubarak is expected to announce Thursday night that he is yielding power to the nation's military, a senior Egyptian government official told CNN.

He said the process -- which included dialogue between the government and opposition representatives -- for implementing reforms and political transition lacked support and the government was forced to step outside the realm of "constitutional authority."

"This is not a coup in the traditional sense," the official said. "But this is a transfer of the system of government from the civilian to military. The military is stepping up, recognizing its responsibility to the Egyptian people."

"These were all definite and conclusive steps toward a political process under the constitution," the official said, referring to the effort to implement reforms. "But this political process never received enough support, either from the crowd of the international community. Now we have to go outside the constitutional frame."

Mubarak met with Vice President Omar Suleiman and Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq in closed-door talks Thursday night, state television said.

Mubarak will address the nation from the presidential headquarters in Cairo on Thursday night, state-run TV said. It will be the third time he has spoken publicly since the protests -- rowdy with revolutionary fervor Thursday -- began on January 25.

They chanted "civil, civil, not military!" as reports came in about the possible military takeover.

But it still remains unclear exactly what Mubarak would say or what action he would take.

A senior U.S. official told CNN that Mubarak had agreed to yield power to his vice president.

The official cited high ranking contacts within the Egyptian government and called the information reliable but expressed some skepticism. "We need to see it happen," the official said.

Odd conflicting reports coming out it seems. CNN and the US appear to have been told different things.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 01:22 PM ----------

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/10/egypt-unrest-mubarak-may-address-nation-party-chief-says/?hpt=T1

[update 8:03 p.m. in Cairo, 1:03 p.m. ET] The Egyptian information minister denies that President Hosni Mubarak is stepping down, state TV reported.

WTF! Uh oh.

pic of people awaiting the news in Tahrir Square:

t1larg.tahrir.night1.gi.jpg

From a little earlier:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/10/egypt-unrest-mubarak-may-address-nation-party-chief-says/?hpt=T1

Asked about the Egyptian developments, President Obama said, "We're going to have to wait and see what's going on."

Obama is supposed to be speaking soon too, I think.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 01:35 PM ----------

Obama speaking now (on CNN).

Well, if it were the US system, I'd say tha the correct, legal and propper way to hand over power to General John Doe would be:

Veep resigns.

Mubarik appoints Doe as new Veep.

Mubarik resigns.

There's a way they can hand over power, if they want.

Well, if it were the US system, I'd say tha the correct, legal and propper way to hand over power to General John Doe would be:

Veep resigns.

Mubarik appoints Doe as new Veep.

Mubarik resigns.

There's a way they can hand over power, if they want.

I meant the current VP. If they jump through the legal hoops necessary to hand over power to the military through technicalities, I would guess that Egyptians would take that to be a completely different scenario.

We have it here in the DC area.

where I live it's channel 457

here's an online feed:

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

(The events in Egypt have been covered non-stop the last few hours on MSNBC and CNN today too)

I thought it was on the specific cable/satellite provider and not the region?

I believe DirecTV is carrying it for free on channel 375.

It's definitely on 375 though :) Thanks

(Imagining an ESer going to a local sports bar and asking if they can tune one of the TVs to Al Jazeera.) :)

How things change. I know MSNBC and CNN are covering it but Al Jazeera English is just so much more tuned in to what's really going on. In my opinion anyway.

I thought it was on the specific cable/satellite provider and not the region?

Possibly. I have fios here. I thought I read that Al Jazeera was available in the DC area in general though.

This could be a long wait. I think he spoke around midnight last time, when he said he wouldn't run in September. That's still two hours off.

Possibly. I have fios here. I thought I read that Al Jazeera was available in the DC area in general though.

This could be a long wait. I think he spoke around midnight last time, when he said he wouldn't run in September. That's still two hours off.

He is supposed to be holding his speech at 10PM Cairo time, which is in about 5 minutes.

Archived