Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Pa. abortion doc killed 7 babies with scissors

Hunter44

There has been a steady decline though. In 1990, the abortion rate was 27.4 per 1,000 women. And it was down to 19.6 in 2008. That's really the result of technological progress.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41008558/ns/health-womens_health/

Note that it goes up a little during a recession. That's because pills cost money.

Contraception gets cheaper and easier over time. I believe the free market will get us all the way there eventually.

Pills are cheaper than a pregnancy and abortion.....

There has been a steady decline though. In 1990, the abortion rate was 27.4 per 1,000 women. And it was down to 19.6 in 2008. That's really the result of technological progress.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41008558/ns/health-womens_health/

Note that it goes up a little during a recession. That's because pills cost money.

Contraception gets cheaper and easier over time. I believe the free market will get us all the way there eventually.

I like to believe there is more to that decline than technological progress,winning hearts and minds matters more in that battle...of course I could be delusional.

added

http://www.google.com/search?q=pro-life+history&hl=en&client=firefox&hs=QGP&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbs=tl:1&tbo=u&ei=T_k5TYSyB4npgAeu2rX1CA&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=12&ved=0CGsQ5wIwCw

And insurance is cheaper than having to rebuild your house after it burns down. But a lot of people still don't buy insurance.

Sometimes it's money. Sometimes it's laziness. Sometimes it's just stupidity. But if contraception became very cheap and very easy, e.g. a pill that a man or woman could take immediately before sex, or a pill a woman could take that could prevent pregnancy for years at a time (with another pill that could turn it off), I think abortion rates would drop to virtually zero.

I think it would be very tough for anybody to prove that.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 05:00 PM ----------

I'll keeping working my end in the meantime.

Use protection.

:)

Dr Smith.... you think it might be because about 64% of abortions are minority fetuses?

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

Those mothers and fathers have the same right to abuse the authority given them over they life they have created as anyone else

But I see the devaluing of human life at all stages of life going on all the time by people all the time regardless of their political or religous views

But over recent years to try and make it seem like abortion was done to get rid or minorities is dishonest

I think it would be very tough for anybody to prove that.
You're definitely right about that. I'll simply say that it's my opinion that dropping abortion rates are at least partly attributable to the result of technological progress.
DJTJ...I'd offer the hammer nail analogy,but I hope you are right.

I'll keeping working my end in the meantime.

Sure, trying to change peoples' minds about sex and abortion certainly has an impact as well (and there is evidence that we are less promiscuous as a society today than we were a generation ago), but the only 100% (or close to 100%) solution I see is a technological one.

Those mothers and fathers have the same right to abuse the authority given them over they life they have created as anyone else

But I see the devaluing of human life at all stages of life going on all the time by people all the time regardless of their political or religous views

But over recent years to try and make it seem like abortion was done to get rid or minorities is dishonest

Did someone advance that theory in this thread?

As I understand it, the problem with those pro-life clinics is that they mislead girls, not only as to what their actual legal and medical choices are, but also who is sponsoring the clinic.

In other words, its more of a case of false advertising than anything else.

Yes.

Many conservatives oppose vaccinating young girls against the Human Papillomana Virus, which can cause cervical cancer in women. They argue that vaccinating for a disease that you can only get through sex will encourage more girls to engage in early sexual activity.

I've heard this argument from fellow conservatives...and immediately want to go out and bang my head against the wall.

This particular "argument" displays extreme ignorance about HPV. A girl can be MARRIED and get HPV from her HUSBAND...thereby contracting HPV within the context of marital relations. How this happens is: the female remains "pure" until marriage...but maybe the guy has had relations with one or more women prior to marriage and contracts HPV, more specifically and more concerning, the types of HPV that are "high risk" for cervical cancer. With these types of HPV, the male is asymptomatic (e.g. no genital warts which is what many people think always present when someone is HPV+, which is not true at all), does not know he has the high risk HPV because currently there are no tests for men, and ends up transferring it to his future wife during marital relations. And walllllla, the female who has never slept with another man outside of marriage contracts an STD/STI.

Maybe I shouldn't be revealing this common sense scenario as I'm outting myself as a public health commi...

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 08:38 PM ----------

The bill is designed to allow for lawsuits against the care centers..(I didn't know I could get an abortion and now look what they did to me) All it takes is an accusation and then litigation.

please descibe how they are fooling people?

These centers don't present all options to female clients.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 08:43 PM ----------

How much have you worked with the public, Popeman? Or with teenage girls?

To you and me, and our family and friends, what you say is common sense. To the general public, it is not. Trust me. The longer I work in public health, the more I am amazed at the ignorance and misinformation that is out there.

I've heard this argument from fellow conservatives...and immediately want to go out and bang my head against the wall...

Same here.

A girl can be MARRIED and get HPV from her HUSBAND...

Yes. I also think it's just wrong to wish harm on someone even it they aren't doing what's right. Because that's basically what it boils down to.

I also think it's just wrong to wish harm on someone even it they aren't doing what's right. Because that's basically what it boils down to.

Well of course, there's that whole "compassion" compenent that can sometimes get lost when one focuses solely on their agenda...

Personally, I've never been one who's had a reaction of glee, or even simple ambivalence when someone contracts a disease or becomes pregnant because they are engaging in ill-advised activities... I wish less people would have that "Gee, sucks to be you. Luckily I'm perfect!" attitude.

bump for Roe vs Wade anniversary

As the grand jury report explains, that number was just the tip of the iceberg. “Snipping” the neck of live, fully born babies has been Gosnell’s regular practice for decades. The assistant he employed between 2002-2008 has admitted to killing 100 babies this way. Gosnell himself likely killed many times this number.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/01/24/ny-times-on-dr-gosnell-serial-killer-a-bad-housekeeper/

Kermit Gosnell Drugged, Tied Up Woman Before Forced Abortion

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/01/24/kermit-gosnell-drugged-tied-up-woman-before-forced-abortion/

Davida Johnson is also speaking out about the abortion Gosnell did and she said the abortion facility he ran was filthy — with women sitting on blood-stained recliners. She told the Associated press she had a change of heart about the abortion but was forced to continue the abortion.

“I said, ‘I don’t want to do this,’ and he smacked me. They tied my hands and arms down and gave me more medication,” she told AP.

Meanwhile, CNN has interviewed LaToya Ransome, another Gosnell victim, who appears reluctant to speak on camera about how Gosnell and his staff injured her so grievously in the abortion she ultimately required open-heart surgery to repair the damage and the abortion has left her disabled. She says Gosnell deserves the death penalty for the way in which he injured women but added it wouldn’t be good enough to punish him.

She says Gosnell deserves the death penalty for the way in which he injured women but added it wouldn’t be good enough to punish him.

Well, if the charges are true (and there's been plenty of time for "the other side" to come out. And the charges are still undisputed.), then I suspect we can accommodate her.

Nothing surprises me anymore with regards to mankind. Disgusting, but not surprising. The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

Very true was true when Jeremiah said pretty much the same thing more than 2000 years ago

Yep, Jeremiah has a lot to say to us today.

Reading the book right now as part of daily bible reading

He Isaiah and Micah all seem to be writing about the same sort of problem we face now, injustice, ignoring God and doing what makes one feel good, injustice oppression.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting

DEATH'S DOLLARS: The abortionist, accused of murders, made at least $1.8M a year. He says he's broke. Where did it all go?

http://articles.philly.com/2011-02-07/news/27105608_1_shore-house-grand-jury-report-investigators

"The money's unaccounted for," Pescatore said. "The only thing we know about is the money taken out of the house."

When investigators searched Gosnell's massive, three-story brick home at 32nd Street and Mantua Avenue, they discovered $240,000 in cash and a gun in a filing cabinet in his 12-year-old daughter's bedroom, according to the grand jury report.

A bayside house and more

Aside from hiding their profits in their little girl's closet, Gosnell and his wife also invested in real estate. Together, they own as many as 17 properties, according to published reports; prosecutors said they know of at least seven. That includes at least five in Philadelphia and a house with two decks and a boat dock in Brigantine.

• 8 months later...

update on the case

Two abortion clinic employees plead guilty to murder

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/27/us-crime-abortion-pennsylvania-idUSTRE79Q7GK20111027

Two employees of a Philadelphia abortion clinic where live, viable babies were allegedly killed and a patient died after being given on overdose of painkillers pleaded guilty on Thursday to murder.

Guilty pleas to third-degree murder were entered by Adrienne Moton, 34, and Sherry West, 52, who both worked for Dr. Kermit Gosnell at what prosecutors have described as a decrepit and unsanitary clinic known as Women's Medical Society in West Philadelphia.

Seven more defendants face charges in the case, including Gosnell, who a grand jury in January said, "killed babies and endangered women. What we mean is that he regularly and illegally delivered live, viable babies in the third trimester of pregnancy -- and then murdered these newborns by severing their spinal cords with scissors."

The grand jury said that a clinic co-worker of Moton's testified that a woman gave birth to a large baby at the clinic, delivering the child into a toilet. The jurors identified the newborn as "Baby D."

The jurors said the co-worker told them that the baby was moving and looked like it was swimming.

"Moton reached into the toilet, got the baby out and cut its neck," the grand jury said in its report.

Archived