Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Radio: Big Ben better than Sonny

DieselPwr44

Not a huge King fan, but why can't he have his opinions? You're talking about a guy who's won 2 Super Bowls in his first 5-6 seasons in the league and you're offended that he's being compared to Sonny? I think Sonny would be fine with the comparison. Sonny put up ridiculous numbers, but they don't ask Ben to do that. Oh, and I'm NOT a Ben fan either...in fact, I don't like him one bit, but results are results. He's certainly more of a "winner" than Sonny was.

The prevailing notion all those years ago was that the Redskins had an elite offense with Sonny at the helm while the defense was absolutely putrid.

True or False?

And when comparing the two, who was the better QB??

Sonny and his offense had to carry alot of the load if the Skins were to have a chance to win.

Big Ben's not asked to carry the load. Why is that? :)

"Sonny put the ball up and asked his receivers to go get it. But he also threw alot of INTs, yet he's in the Hall of Fame"- Peter King

Is Big Ben the better passer?

Wow. That's pretty ignorant. Jurgensen had excellent placement, he didn't rely on his WRs to "go get it," he put the ball where they were going to be.

Watching The Herd on ESPN U and Peter King was asked who would Big Ben most resemble if he was placed in the 60's/70's?

King responded Sonny but that Ben was a better QB than Sonny.

How is this guy allowed to vote for the HOF?

I actually agree largely with King here. They were both pocket passers who have amazing arms and can make all the throws. The reason he is claiming Rothlisberger is better is because Rothlesberger has won 2 Superbowls, while Sonny was stuck on a losing team. As for the Hall of Fame voting, I am willing to forgive him because he did finally vote for Art Monk after all these years.

Did he say a better passer or better QB? If QBs are judged on winning...

They are judged on more than just winning, because winning is dependant on all 53 players and the coaches. If both QBs are real good, who's team is going to likely be a winner, the one with a bad defense or the one with a defense that's annually top 5 in PA and turnovers?

They are judged on more than just winning, because winning is dependant on all 53 players and the coaches. If both QBs are real good, who's team is going to likely be a winner, the one with a bad defense or the one with a defense that's annually top 5 in PA and turnovers?

Hey, I don't make the rules. Dan Marino or Joe Montana? Big Ben or Sonny? All put up respectful numbers but why do you never here Sonny in top ten talk? I guarantee you that if Big Ben wins this year, top ten talk will be the norm.

It just seems like too many people fly off the handle anytime a national guy ranks other teams' players ahead of Redskins. You guys do realize that all Redskin greats aren't better than other NFL greats, right? He's not contending that Sonny was bad or that Ryan Leaf is better than Sonny...he's stating that, between two very good QBs, he thinks one (who just happens to be a non-Redskin) is better than the other (who just happens to be a Redskin).

Not everything these guys talk about includes some sort of anti-Redskin logic or slant.

Hey, I don't make the rules. Dan Marino or Joe Montana? Big Ben or Sonny? All put up respectful numbers but why do you never here Sonny in top ten talk? I guarantee you that if Big Ben wins this year, top ten talk will be the norm.

You never hear Sonny in top 10 talk because wins are overvalued and an easy stat to fall back on if the person is too lazy to add context. But QBs aren't judged solely on winning, hence Sonny is in the HOF. You don't want to ask me about Joe Montana either, cuz I'll say Marino was better, and so was Steve Young.

Give Sonny and that offense the Steelers D and they come away with at least 1 Superbowl, IMO. I'm not saying Ben isn't good, I'm just saying having the best D in the league helps a lot in the win category, which Ben enjoys and Sonny did not.

You should be looking at the whole picture anyways, not just focusing solely on wins as you did in your first post. Sonny deserves a little more effort than that from a Skins fan.

Ben is an average QB and has been fortunate to play for amazing teams in his short career.

Sonny is the better QB hands down.

Really? Which games of his were your favorites?

Listen, I know he's very good and put up great numbers. I also know that we've all seen all the same highlights. But it's pretty tough to compare highlight reels from the 1960s to watching all the good AND bad plays of another QB. We're comparing the ups and downs of one guy to the legacy and bright spots of another guy.

Sonny completed about 57% of his passes with about 250 TDs and about 180 INTs with a passer rating of about 83. Big Ben has about a 62% completion percentage with 140 TDs and 90 INTs and a 92 passer rating.

Archived