Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Md. father uses robocall to get revenge on school officials

China

Md. father uses robocall to get revenge on school officials

Awakened at 4:33 a.m. Wednesday by a ringing phone, Aaron Titus jumped out of bed in a panic. Maybe something terrible had happened, he thought. Even if nothing was wrong, his heart raced with other considerations: His five children, ages 5 and under, including his week-old daughter, were mercifully still asleep, and he wanted to keep it that way.

In a blurry rush, Titus answered the phone halfway into the second ring, listening in disbelief to an automated caller tell him what he already knew: It was a snow day. School would open two hours late. In other words, he and his family could sleep.

But now he couldn't.

"I thought, 'C'mon, people. Really?" he recalls.

Sometime later in the day, the 31-year-old father from Fort Washington, a lawyer who knows a thing or two about technology, made a decision that might well bring amused satisfaction to like-minded parents everywhere.

Titus arranged for an automated message of his own.

He found a robocall company online, taped a message and listed every phone number he could find for nine school board members (sparing the student member), Superintendent William R. Hite and General Counsel Roger C. Thomas.

At 4:30 a.m. Thursday, phones began ringing with 29 seconds of automated, mocking objection:

"This is a Prince George's County School District parent, calling to thank you for the robocall yesterday at 4:30 in the morning. I decided to return the favor. While I know the school district wanted to ensure I drop my child off two hours late on a snow day, I already knew that before I went to bed. I hope this call demonstrates why a 4:30 a.m. call does more to annoy than to inform.''

It ended: "Quit robocalling parents at 4:30 in the morning or at least allow us to opt out of these intrusive calls."

Titus says the automated calling service reported back that, of the 19 phone numbers he supplied for school officials, "eight live people picked up" when the predawn call was made.

Click on the link for the full article

and had this parent not known and dropped his kid off 2 hours early, i'm sure he wouldn't have complained one bit.

My thoughts exactly. He'd have been pissed if his kids were out in the cold for 2 hours.

My wife gets text messages from her college. It's only a slight beep on her phone and it doesn't wake up the whole household.

I'm sure that this is what the school board members intended. In fact, I'm sure that they personally recorded the robocall and instructed that it be sent out at 4:30 am for maximum irritation of their constitutents.

Because, as we all know, no errors are ever made by low level government functionaries. Everything is planned. :)

(actually his revenge is pretty funny....)

and had this parent not known and dropped his kid off 2 hours early, i'm sure he wouldn't have complained one bit.

Right, because it's not like every morning news show, radio station, or local news website wouldn't be listing every delay and cancellation. If parents pay so little attention to these that the school district is forced to robo-call parents at 4:30 AM to make sure they don't leave their kids in the cold for 2 hours, then perhaps he should be more involved with the local PTA (and perhaps the police) to prevent it.

That said, this was a brilliant and hilarious revenge.

That's 4:30 in the mornin'! You 'posed to be up cookin' brefas or somebody! Woo woooo!

:rotflmao:

Well done.

My thoughts exactly. He'd have been pissed if his kids were out in the cold for 2 hours.

My wife gets text messages from her college. It's only a slight beep on her phone and it doesn't wake up the whole household.

Right, because most parents don't check for school delays and closings on TV/radio/Internet whenever there's snow. Hell, most kids learn to do that by 2nd grade.

Archived