Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On the eve of the iPhone going to Verizon (possibly), some questions...

MattFancy

I am absolutley on the Thunderbolt bandwagon. I have about 6 months before I need to upgrade so I am gonna see which one is better on the Verizon network

I have a buddy that works for VZW and he told me between the iPhone and the Thunderbolt, the Thunderbolt will be the better phone on Verizon.

i wouldnt even waste money on the verizon iphone when its released with a new iphone coming out this summer, but of course everyone and their brother will be sucked in. im on sprint and just got the evo, its a monster, but dual cores will be coming soon. sick nasty

Verizon iPhone official: early next month. NO LTE

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 11:18 AM ----------

Cell phone nerd here bro

Haha I used to have a good friend who was a cell phone nerd, I try to keep my nerdiness in the IT world....but sometimes I wander over to the cell phone side

Is there any word on an IPhone 5? I've had one of the earliest piece of crap Droids for a long time now and I'm planning on finally getting a new phone. Is it better to get the Thunderbolt when it comes out or wait a little bit more for the new IPhone (that is if it is coming out anytime soon).

I'm glad this is happening though. I would never leave Verizon. Get service in the metro and almost every place I go to. I hated the service when I was on AT&T.

If you plan on using your phone as a phone and don't really care about the data network, Verizon is the better choice. If you are like me and don't really make many phone calls, but use the iPhone more as a pocket computer, go with AT&T. Data speeds are so much faster. I haven't had any signal issues with my phone either...except when I was in San Francisco in November.

Personally, I won't be switching carriers.

Is there any word on an IPhone 5? I've had one of the earliest piece of crap Droids for a long time now and I'm planning on finally getting a new phone. Is it better to get the Thunderbolt when it comes out or wait a little bit more for the new IPhone (that is if it is coming out anytime soon).

I'm glad this is happening though. I would never leave Verizon. Get service in the metro and almost every place I go to. I hated the service when I was on AT&T.

The Thunderbolt will use Verizon's LTE network. Not sure about the iPhone 5 though.

Current 4G claims by Tmobile, Verizon and Sprint are bunk IMO. First off Tmobile is not on a 4G like network at all. It is an HSDPA+ like AT&T b ut with lower overall speeds.

CNET has tested both networks and AT&T is faster despite Tmobile's dumbass commercial claims.

Sprint is on Wimax 4G which has lower overall bandwidth available but is not touching capability at all in test markets.

Verizon is going LTE (long term evolution) 4G but it's early speeds are not going to touch the actual capabiilty. AT&T is moving to LTE as well.

So the lesson is a non-"4G" capable iPhone will be slower averall than an AT&T model but you will have coverage in areas that AT&T doesn't.

Why can't Verizon's current network handle voice and data at the same time? Verizon uses EV-DO for data which is not meant for voice transmissions so when you take a call the CDMA chip has to move from EV-DO to 1xRTT mode to handle voice. 1xRTT is used for data when EV-DO is not available.

ETA: nothing to see here.

Doesn't sound like it will be.

I'm looking at getting the HTC Thunderbolt when I can upgrade in March. Sounds like its going to be an aweome phone.

Isn't the HTC Thunderbolt basically the verizon version of the HTC Evo. The specs look pretty much identical and the phone looks about the same too

Yeah pretty much. But I think it has a different processor

Nope same processor. This from Brighthand.com:

The HTC ThunderBolt will run Google's Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) on a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor. It will also include the latest version of HTC's Sense overlay.

I wouldn't get a Thunderbolt only because its essentially the Evo with a verizon stamp .The Evo has been out for 6-7 months. Old technology. New phones with faster processors will be out soon. I have the Evo and love it but in the next few months phones with dual core processors will be out.

Nope same processor. This from Brighthand.com:

I wouldn't get a Thunderbolt only because its essentially the Evo with a verizon stamp .The Evo has not been out for 6-7 months. Old technology. New phones with faster processors will be out soon. I have the Evo and love it but in the next few months phones with dual core processors will be out.

For some reason I thought it was different, guess not then.

sorry guys, I wanted to bump this because it was lost on the first page. Anyone in the know?

I doubt that Verizon would pay your termination fee to get out of your other contract. I believe you'll be on your own with T-mobile. Maybe if you call T-mobile and just keep complaining they may let you walk otherwise I believe all carriers prorate their termination fee

I doubt that Verizon would pay your termination fee to get out of your other contract. I believe you'll be on your own with T-mobile. Maybe if you call T-mobile and just keep complaining they may let you walk otherwise I believe all carriers prorate their termination fee

I figured as much. I was hoping that maybe they helped subsidize the fee to get new customers. But I seem to be s.o.l.!

Not going to lie, I've been waiting for this announcement for a while, but until Apple offers an LTE version of their iPhone I can't be bothered with it. There are just way too many occasions where I rely on having data services available while I'm having a phone conversation.

Let's see how long before LTE becomes reality for the iPhone.

I wouldn't get a Thunderbolt only because its essentially the Evo with a verizon stamp .The Evo has been out for 6-7 months. Old technology. New phones with faster processors will be out soon. I have the Evo and love it but in the next few months phones with dual core processors will be out.

I honestly can't fathom why it would be necessary to get a new phone every year. The marginal difference from the previous version, is it really worth the cost of buying a new phone?

These companies have you guys brainwashed that you have to get the next latest, greatest thing.

I honestly can't fathom why it would be necessary to get a new phone every year. The marginal difference from the previous version, is it really worth the cost of buying a new phone?

These companies have you guys brainwashed that you have to get the next latest, greatest thing.

Honestly it's about having the latest technology. An addiction if you will. I'm sure most people that trade up and get the latest and greatest could get away with a 3 yr old phone but its about having experienced the new stuff. No different than anything else. Shoot I go through cars like water. I bought 3 different cars in less then 3 years :ols:

Archived