Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On the eve of the iPhone going to Verizon (possibly), some questions...

MattFancy

Ok so now that it seems all but official, what does the iPhone coming to Verizon mean for some people...

If you have an iPhone now with AT&T, will you switch to Verizon?

If you're on Verizon now, will you get the iPhone when it is released?

What does Verizon getting the iPhone mean to AT&T and the rest of the wireless carriers?

I personally am waiting for the HTC Thunderbolt. I think that will be better than the iPhone and I think I prefer the Android OS. But I'm sure many people will be getting the iPhone when it is released.

Won't VZW getting the Iphone mean that Iphone uses will just start pummeling their network instead?

Its very possible. Verizon says their network is ready to handle it, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

But that could make AT&T's network a little better since all those iPhone people could be leaving.

But that could make AT&T's network a little better since all those iPhone people could be leaving.

Works for me. I have a BlackBerry anyway and I've never really had problems with outages, roaming and dropped calls that all these Iphone users complain about.

I think the big deal is not necessarily AT&T users leaving as much as they would fail to continue to pump in new subscribers. But many who grumble about AT&T's service will probably see this as an opportunity to flip.

Darn. Never thought of that. I have a work blackberry that is my only phone. Verizon's cellular service is spectacular, particularly in the DC area. Would suck to see that go away. Oh well, can't really complain until I have to start paying for a phone bill again. But man, are companies in this area going to be pissed if the network weakens.

This fear of iPhone users on a network is absurd. This isn't 2007 when iPhone revolutionized what people think of when they hear "smart phone". There are a large number of smart phones with real internet browsers, apps, and streaming on every network.

This fear of iPhone users on a network is absurd. This isn't 2007 when iPhone revolutionized what people think of when they hear "smart phone". There are a large number of smart phones with real internet browsers, apps, and streaming on every network.

True, but if Verizon adds 6-8 million more users it could see some sort of hit, don't you think?

iPhone users use upwards of 65% of AT&T's data network. It is a big hit from a single phone.

Many people have smart phones, many don't, but don't brush off the iPhone because you don't like it, it is still by far the #1 smart phone on the market. There is no phone that is even close to it in the amount of users. Once they switch over to Verizon it WILL have the same issues as AT&T, which is fine with me. When you switch over such a large amount of users the network WILL be slower, it's just a fact.

True, but if Verizon adds 6-8 million more users it could see some sort of hit, don't you think?
iPhone users use upwards of 65% of AT&T's data network. It is a big hit from a single phone.

These are both correct. One of the things we have been talking about at work, we are a buncha sys admin nerds, is how big of an impact the changeover will have. I was worried that the iPhone going to Verizon was just a myth, but if/when it occurred AT&T's network would be much better and Verizon's would take a hit.

I've ****ed about AT&T for a long time, but lately service has been pretty good. Plus, I'll need my unlocked iPhone for traveling to Europe later this year.

Unless there's a substantial difference in rates, I'll be sticking with AT&T. I hope those leaving free up some of the AT&T network.

I'm not a big app/gadget type phone user, so my Blackberry is gold for me. I use the Facebook/Twitter/Pandora radio apps religiously, and play a few games, and thats it on the handheld. My RIM is the best phone I've ever owned as far as service/data coverage.

If I wanted to get into all the apps, I do have an ipod touch, but it really hasn't ever sucked me in.

Current 4G claims by Tmobile, Verizon and Sprint are bunk IMO. First off Tmobile is not on a 4G like network at all. It is an HSDPA+ like AT&T b ut with lower overall speeds.

CNET has tested both networks and AT&T is faster despite Tmobile's dumbass commercial claims.

Sprint is on Wimax 4G which has lower overall bandwidth available but is not touching capability at all in test markets.

Verizon is going LTE (long term evolution) 4G but it's early speeds are not going to touch the actual capabiilty. AT&T is moving to LTE as well.

As of right now, mass market available networks AT&T has the fastest mobile broadband network, Verizon spent all its money on CDMA low bandwidth 3G coverage so it has more coverage areas but less overall speed.

So the lesson is a non-"4G" capable iPhone will be slower averall than an AT&T model but you will have coverage in areas that AT&T doesn't.

Why can't Verizon's current network handle voice and data at the same time? Verizon uses EV-DO for data which is not meant for voice transmissions so when you take a call the CDMA chip has to move from EV-DO to 1xRTT mode to handle voice. 1xRTT is used for data when EV-DO is not available.

w/verizon rolling out the lte network i think it will handle the iphone fine. will the iphone 4 run on the LTE network? if not, i'll be getting another android that does

Doesn't sound like it will be.

I'm looking at getting the HTC Thunderbolt when I can upgrade in March. Sounds like its going to be an aweome phone.

Doesn't sound like it will be.

I'm looking at getting the HTC Thunderbolt when I can upgrade in March. Sounds like its going to be an aweome phone.

I am absolutley on the Thunderbolt bandwagon. I have about 6 months before I need to upgrade so I am gonna see which one is better on the Verizon network

http://gizmodo.com/5729273/dont-buy-the-verizon-iphone-4?skyline=true&s=i

Don't Buy the Verizon iPhone 4

The day that Verizon gets the iPhone will be remembered as glorious by everybody who's dropped 12 calls in a row, been taunted by meaningless signal bars and just plain had a miserable AT&T experience. But they shouldn't buy one.

Let's keep in mind what Apple—or rather, Verizon—is announcing, precisely. A new carrier for the iPhone 4. That's it. Not a new product. That's why Apple is ceding the stage to Verizon. If it was a truly new product, Apple would do all the talking.

Apple will announce a new iPhone in June, as they have every year since 2008. It'll go on sale later that month, or in early July, as it has every year. That's six months from now. And it'll be better than the iPhone 4 in some tangible way. Maybe not on the order of the leap from the 3GS to the iPhone 4, but it'll have something new to offer. And everybody will want it, because that's how things seem to work with Apple: There's just enough new to make whatever Apple product you've currently got in your hand feel deficient in some way.

But the people who just bought on an iPhone 4 with Verizon will be locked into new 2-year contracts. Their new phones, though maybe better at holding calls better than their AT&T counterparts, will still be old news just a few months after birth. And what if the iPhone does the same thing to Verizon it did to AT&T? Let everybody else be an early adopter.

It's possible that Verizon will come up with some crazy deal to make its warmed-over iPhone 4 undeniably tempting—unlimited data is a start—like selling it for half-price. But the only deal you should consider is one that'll let you upgrade to the next iPhone almost immediately, like a one-year contract. I wouldn't count on anything too wild, though, because Verizon is the most conservative carrier of the four—it's got the best combined network and hardware position now, and it knows it. Remember? It's Verizon who passed up the iPhone in the first place, not the other way around.

It's virtually guaranteed that the next iPhone will come to AT&T and Verizon at the same time (there might be some gap, but it will likely be small—after all, Apple doesn't want to hose their 100 million potential new customers). So if you're on Verizon, itching to the pull the trigger, do yourself a favor. Just wait. You've held on for years. What's a few more months?

Send an email to matt buchanan, the author of this post, at matt@gizmodo.com.

Current 4G claims by Tmobile, Verizon and Sprint are bunk IMO. First off Tmobile is not on a 4G like network at all. It is an HSDPA+ like AT&T b ut with lower overall speeds.

CNET has tested both networks and AT&T is faster despite Tmobile's dumbass commercial claims.

Sprint is on Wimax 4G which has lower overall bandwidth available but is not touching capability at all in test markets.

Verizon is going LTE (long term evolution) 4G but it's early speeds are not going to touch the actual capabiilty. AT&T is moving to LTE as well.

As of right now, mass market available networks AT&T has the fastest mobile broadband network, Verizon spent all its money on CDMA low bandwidth 3G coverage so it has more coverage areas but less overall speed.

So the lesson is a non-"4G" capable iPhone will be slower averall than an AT&T model but you will have coverage in areas that AT&T doesn't.

Why can't Verizon's current network handle voice and data at the same time? Verizon uses EV-DO for data which is not meant for voice transmissions so when you take a call the CDMA chip has to move from EV-DO to 1xRTT mode to handle voice. 1xRTT is used for data when EV-DO is not available.

This is exactly right, looks like someone actually did some of their own research, good job homercles!

Archived