Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cam Newton BCS Championship thread

Stadium-Armory

I don't get how Newton has one decent game (it wasn't bad by any means and it appeared he was injured) and now he's being labeled as a 2nd-3rd round draft pick but Locker is still seen as a solid pick at #10.

Because he has too much to work on. He's not an NFL QB right now. He's got a LOT to work on.

I don't get how Newton has one decent game (it wasn't bad by any means and it appeared he was injured) and now he's being labeled as a 2nd-3rd round draft pick but Locker is still seen as a solid pick at #10

off the top of my head, to my knowledge locker plays in a pro style offense, and has about 1/20th of the talent around him that newton has.

no one is saying locker is a world beater, but id rather take a guy with pro experience, who was projected #1 overall before a poor season this year than some spread QB who looked poor tonight that spends his life in shotgun running around.

what if luck is poor next year in his senior year? should everyone forget about what he did this year? cause thats kinda whats happening with locker. these guys dont just forget how to play QB one year to the next.

Theres a reason that Mel and the other scouts and draft experts say he is already ahead of Vick, Young, and Tebow throwing the ball at the same point in there career. Mel said the only thing wrong with his throwing is his system and he is going to take time to adjust to a NFL system...just like all young qb's do.

Stop with the Mel Kiper garbage:

Watch this video:

Mel Kiper: “Jamarcus Russell’s gonna immediately energize that Raider Nation, that fanbase, that football team- on the practice field, in that locker room- three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league.

You’re talking about a 2-3 year period once he’s under center. Look out because skill level that he has is certainly John Elway like.”

Did you watch the game or just look up his stat line?

Let me know of any NFL offense who runs 37 bubble screens in one game. Let me know of any NFL QB who can stare down his receiver, who is the only read he goes through, and is still successful.

Cam is a heck of a college player. Will he get drafted round 1? Probably. Will he win some games? Probably. Will he ever win a Super Bowl as starting QB? No.

Yea i watch the game. What do you want the kid to do, he did what he was coach to do. and he did well, did he play great no but to say he not a first round pick cause of one game it being really narrow minded. Jake locker played like trash his last game but he's a first round pick, he went like 5/16 for 56 yard yet some of you want him over cam.

Yea i watch the game. What do you want the kid to do, he did what he was coach to do. and he did well, did he play great no but to say he not a first round pick cause of one game it being really narrow minded. Jake locker played like trash his last game but he's a first round pick, he went like 5/16 for 56 yard yet some of you want him over cam.

But do you think if Cam were playing in a pro style offense, he would have still won the heisman? Or even performed half as well as he did.

A simple yes or no will do.

Mel Kiper: “Jamarcus Russell’s gonna immediately energize that Raider Nation, that fanbase, that football team- on the practice field, in that locker room- three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league.

You’re talking about a 2-3 year period once he’s under center. Look out because skill level that he has is certainly John Elway like.”

LOL, now that is gold. a top 5 QB. could you imagine that right now?

the incredible AFC. Brady. Manning. Roethlisburger. Russell.

Watch this video:

Who isnt wrong from time to time. Find me a scout that has never been wrong...but wait you cant because its not possible. Nobody is perfect. I see people on here quoting Mel and other draft experts all the time...so now I have to stop just because he says something you dont agree with? But if he says something positive about a player you like then its ok and he knows what he's talking about right? lol

And for the record I never was a fan of Jamarcus...but hindsight is 20/20. Alot of people fell in love with his strong arm and overrated him, and some agents probably threw some money at the "experts" to hype him up.

Did you not see them dominate in their bowl game? Alabama has the best team in the nation. Their D's inexperience just cost them.

An SEC team wiping the floor with a Big10 team is not a big accomplishment. Read: Ohio state vs. Florida.... The SEC is the standard that all college teams are measured against. Auburn beat all of the teams that Alabama lost to - including being down Bama after trailing 24-7 at halftime. Your argument holds no water.

But do you think if Cam were playing in a pro style offense, he would have still won the heisman? Or even performed half as well as he did.

A simple yes or no will do.

There no simple answer for that question. would Tom Brady win with the Raiders? But i think he can play in any offense with time to learn it.

To cap off this thread for the evening, War Eagle. And once again the national champion makes its home in the SEC. This conference has proven over and over that when it comes to national championship college football no other conference stands above. No one. Period.

Also, I believe Cam will be back at Auburn next year, so all this pro talk is moot for the time being.

Did you ever think the coach told him to do that cause he isn't capable of making reads and going through progressions, and the offense is built to hide his deficiencies as a QB?

Who isnt wrong from time to time. Find me a scout that has never been wrong...but wait you cant because its not possible. Nobody is perfect. I see people on here quoting Mel and other draft experts all the time...so now I have to stop just because he says something you dont agree with? But if he says something positive about a player you like then its ok and he knows what he's talking about right? lol

You can't possibly be that dense. :doh1: The entire point is that it doesn't help your argument by posting over and over the fact that Kiper said whatever drivel he said about this or any other player that he is currently dangling from. I can also dig up his manlove for Brady Quinn, remember Quinn was going to go #1 according to Kiper and would of course be the savior of the Raiders/Lions Franchise depending on which team was lucky enough to acquire his services. Kiper doesn't help your argument so why even bring it up? Joey Harrington? Straight beast, :2drunks:

So of course that must mean that Cam Newton is nothing less than the next Steve Young/Dan Marino, right? :gap:

An SEC team wiping the floor with a Big10 team is not a big accomplishment. Read: Ohio state vs. Florida.... The SEC is the standard that all college teams are measured against. Auburn beat all of the teams that Alabama lost to - including being down Bama after trailing 24-7 at halftime. Your argument holds no water.

Did or did not a Big 10 team (Ohio State) beat an SEC team (Arkansas) just last week? I mean I COULD be wrong, but I know I'm not.

And the all mighty SEC was only 5-4 in bowl games, including losing to a CONFERENCE USA TEAM!

To me it looked like both teams had alot of time to scout one another and the team with the better defense won. With that being said Cam looked fine to me, he took what the D gave him. Definitly take him before locker. Cams accuracy has never been an issue. Also I saw nothing wrong at all with Cams throwing motion like some have mentioned.

Why isn't there?

Given Cam's skill set, do you think he could thrive in a pro style offense? You know, the kind he'll be playing in when he goes to the NFL.

I see you over look my comment, When i said I think he can play i any offense he has to skill set to do it .will he work at it watch the film needed to be great is to be seen. But there nobody come out that we can know if they will take the time to get better.

Bama loses to SC, LSU and Auburn but yet they are the best team in the country? Yeah, ok. :ols:

Yeah, the defending national champ losses at SC and LSU and to the eventual national champions(see Mark Ingram fumble) who happen to have Cameron Newton. If u've watched Bama play u would know that from top to bottom they could beat any team in the country....and probably would on a neutral field. When firing on all cyclinders, IMO, they are the best overall team.

You can't possibly be that dense. :doh1: The entire point is that it doesn't help your argument by posting over and over the fact that Kiper said whatever drivel he said about this or any other player that he is currently dangling from. I can also dig up his manlove for Brady Quinn, remember Quinn was going to go #1 according to Kiper and would of course be the savior of the Raiders/Lions Franchise depending on which team was lucky enough to acquire his services. Kiper doesn't help your argument so why even bring it up? Joey Harrington? Straight beast, :2drunks:

So of course that must mean that Cam Newton is nothing less than the next Steve Young/Dan Marino, right? :gap:

So who should people go to for knowledge on college players? Why do NFL teams value their opinions?

If thats how you feel then everytime someone mentions a so called "draft expert" you should say the same thing to them. Matter of fact you should go over to that other thread about who the "experts" have as the top 5 qb's...have fun it should take you awhile.;)

Me personaly I could give a dam about what the experts say...I judge talent off what I see. If its a player that I havent seen then i look at the scouting reports and try to look at film and make my own judgement.

So I get your point but you just have me figured out wrong. You think im someone who lives on every word they say and take it for gospel...which i cant blame you because you dont know me. But the reason I mentioned Mel is because so many people on here do value his and other scouts opinions.

So if someone just isnt getting it and they value the opinion of someone who does they tend to change their opinion because they take that persons word for it. In this case its the draft experts whos opinion people value and respect. So I said their opinion of the player so peolple will get it.

So like I said me personaly I could care less about what Mel or McShay has to say ( I do listen to the guy from NFL network sometimes) but alot of people on here do listen to what they have to say. Common sense tells you that just because they say something doesnt make it so or mean it will come true. But common sense aint so common anymore...kinda like how everyone on here treats Shanny's word like its Gospel. Get it?:cool:

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 02:12 AM ----------

To me it looked like both teams had alot of time to scout one another and the team with the better defense won. With that being said Cam looked fine to me, he took what the D gave him. Definitly take him before locker. Cams accuracy has never been an issue. Also I saw nothing wrong at all with Cams throwing motion like some have mentioned.

Your absolutely correct. Cam has all the phyiscal tools to be a pro qb. The ONLY issue is his learning a pro system. Which ALL college qb's have that same issue. But I dont see people saying the other prospects wont be able to learn the offense in the NFL so im wondering why they say Cam wont be able to. Why is he different?

If he has the work ethic of a great QB then he will be fine. But if he has the work ethic of a Vince Young then he will probably play at that same level...which isnt horrible just not up to his potential

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 02:13 AM ----------

can we draft her with the 10th pic?

lol ill trade up for that azz

Why do NFL teams value their opinions?

Uh...they don't. NFL teams have their own scouts, coaches, and GM's to do the evaluating.

The "draft gurus" are entirely for the benefit of the NFL's customers. The bowl games, combine, pro-days, and draft have been hyped up into huge events, practically an extension of the NFL season (don't get me wrong, I love it), and as such, websites, newspapers, and channels like NFL Network and ESPN need more of these "draft gurus" than ever, to entertain the fans. Most of the time, they are amateur talent evaluators, like some of the more knowledgeable members of this board.

Almost none of them have any idea what actual NFL teams think about a prospect, although some have some connections that no doubt sways their opinion sometimes, and some are former scouts themselves.

But the reality is that the leaked Cowboys "Big Board" from their war room last year was kind of a revelation...because it revealed that in many ways, the gurus have no idea what they're talking about, in regards to what teams actually think about players. And that player's "draft stock" only really varies wildly in the public's perception, because of these gurus. There aren't league-wide rising/falling prospects every week like the analysts would have you think...players are valued differently by different teams in the first place. The only thing that changes is just how close the analysts get to what NFL teams really are thinking...and it usually takes them right up until the draft to even get close, and even then there are huge draft surprises.

For instance, the safety that the Raiders drafted a year or two ago, Mike Mitchell, in the 2nd round, that was universally panned as a terrible, epically huge reach by draft analysts everywhere, because they had this kid as a 6th round pick.

Oh, until they found out that many teams around the league had him valued as a 2nd rounder, and they had no idea what they were talking about. It happens all the time.

NFL teams all have their own individual ideas about each prospect...they aren't valuing the opinions or mock drafts of guys like McShay or Kiper. In fact, very few of the TV network draft analysts even have any respect within the NFL scout community. Its a well-documented truth.

Uh...they don't. NFL teams have their own scouts, coaches, and GM's to do the evaluating.

The "draft gurus" are entirely for the benefit of the NFL's customers. The bowl games, combine, pro-days, and draft have been hyped up into huge events, practically an extension of the NFL season (don't get me wrong, I love it), and as such, websites, newspapers, and channels like NFL Network and ESPN need more of these "draft gurus" than ever, to entertain the fans. Most of the time, they are amateur talent evaluators, like some of the more knowledgeable members of this board.

Almost none of them have any idea what actual NFL teams think about a prospect, although some have some connections that no doubt sways their opinion sometimes, and some are former scouts themselves.

But the reality is that the leaked Cowboys "Big Board" from their war room last year was kind of a revelation...because it revealed that in many ways, the gurus have no idea what they're talking about, in regards to what teams actually think about players. And that player's "draft stock" only really varies wildly in the public's perception, because of these gurus. There aren't league-wide rising/falling prospects every week like the analysts would have you think...players are valued differently by different teams in the first place. The only thing that changes is just how close the analysts get to what NFL teams really are thinking...and it usually takes them right up until the draft to even get close, and even then there are huge draft surprises.

For instance, the safety that the Raiders drafted a year or two ago, Mike Mitchell, in the 2nd round, that was universally panned as a terrible, epically huge reach by draft analysts everywhere, because they had this kid as a 6th round pick.

Oh, until they found out that many teams around the league had him valued as a 2nd rounder, and they had no idea what they were talking about. It happens all the time.

NFL teams all have their own individual ideas about each prospect...they aren't valuing the opinions or mock drafts of guys like McShay or Kiper. In fact, very few of the TV network draft analysts even have any respect within the NFL scout community. Its a well-documented truth.

I dont think you get what im saying. And i appreciate you trying but ive been watching sports longer then you so i dontneed you to tell me how this works. I doub there is much you could tell me that I dont already know...but you can try if you like. And im not trying to be smart or anything but ive been doing this my whole life. I know how the game goes I know how this works.

Ofcourse every team has their own board and have their own scouts...that common sense. I wasnt saying that the teams base their board off what the so called experts say. I was saying that scouts do have conversations with the respected media guys. And they respect their opinion on players. Not enough to change their own opinion but they do value what they have to say.Most of the time the experts have been watching the player longer than the scout has because they start watching them in high school.

It happends ever year...the media hypes some players up and then that player gets drafted earlier then they really should because of all of the hype. Just look at Tim Tebow last year. The media hyped him up to be a 1st rd pick. Believe it or not public perception plays a role in this. And the media controls public perception. A agent accused kiper of taking money to hype players up to improve their draft stock. The good teams dont fall into this but some teams out there do. Just watch this year I gurantee it will happen again. If the media had zero say on it then you wouldnt hear the saying that a team is going for the flashy player or the sexy pick...because who makes the player flashy? The media by hyping him up (whether he deserves it or not). And who is the player sexy or flashy to? The media and fans. Thats what i mean when i say public perception plays a role in it all and thats why teams have PR staffs

Like I said teams arent basing their boards on the experts boards but they do have conversations with them about players and gage where a respected guru may have a player rated in comparision with others. Its not going to make or break their opinion of the player but its just getting another viewpoint and opnion on a player thats all im saying.

As far as the Business of the NFL goes...its really not hard to figure out. Its all about money. The NFL wants to be somewhat year round. Not in games but in coverage. Thats why you have a NFL Network. Thats why the combine is televised and is in Feb after the Super Bowl. And it runs into March till its time for Free Agency...more NFL coverage. Then in April we have the draft. Then a mini camp in may and ota's in june. A couple of weeks off in July then back to Training Camp in August. They want full coverage year round so we will stay interested and they can make more money.

So yea I do agree with you about the fact that its all there for us the consumer. Actually I agree with the point of your post overall I just think you give the Media too lil credit when it comes to their influence, and I think you thought that I was giving them more credit than I really was.

Archived