Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cam Newton BCS Championship thread

Stadium-Armory

If Cam and his family were smart, they would attempt to better secure his football future by persuading the coaches to change the offense to more of a pro-style offense in exchange for him staying for his senior year. He's not ready for the NFL and could clearly use that last eligible year. This bowl game was his highest completion total all year with 20..... He's clearly not a NFL QB at this point and is both selling and fooling himself by doing anything but staying in school IMO.

WHAT???!!! Dude is a LOCK for the top-10 right now....in a few weeks, he'll be in Indy. Can you imagine what his combine #'s will look like? But you want him to go back to school for another year LOLOLOLOL....that's funny. He's a more mobile version of Big Ben. Yes, he has a lot to work on, but the talent/potential is there. One of the best college football players I've EVER seen.

WHAT???!!! Dude is a LOCK for the top-10 right now....in a few weeks, he'll be in Indy. Can you imagine what his combine #'s will look like? But you want him to go back to school for another year LOLOLOLOL....that's funny. He's a more mobile version of Big Ben. Yes, he has a lot to work on, but the talent/potential is there. One of the best college football players I've EVER seen.

he will be an epic failure at the NFL level. epic.

he will be an epic failure at the NFL level. epic.

and you know this, how?

There are A LOT of people in this thread forumlating a clearly biased opinion of the kid based off of his performance last night (not even considering what he did during the regular season) and because of his shady past. Could he be a bust...sure. Could he be a great Qb on the next level...sure. There is NO WAY to tell what he's going to turn out to be. No one here has a crystal ball. I'm amazed at what this kid accomplished in his one-full season of college FB. What he did was jaw dropping on a weekly basis. Yeah, there was a side show involved, but to me...it doesn't take away what he did on the field.

Christian Laettner was one of the best college basketball players I ever saw too.

and you know this, how?

There are A LOT of people in this thread forumlating a clearly biased opinion of the kid based off of his performance last night (not even considering what he did during the regular season) and because of his shady past. Could he be a bust...sure. Could he be a great Qb on the next level...sure. There is NO WAY to tell what he's going to turn out to be. No one here has a crystal ball. I'm amazed at what this kid accomplished in his one-full season of college FB. What he did was jaw dropping on a weekly basis. Yeah, there was a side show involved, but to me...it doesn't take away what he did on the field.

This game shows what he does under pressure. Yes he won, but was it b/c of him? I don't think so. He had the opportunity to lock in a top 10 spot, while he had a national stage, and played okay. He had two turnovers (one of them a HUGE FUMBLE which kept Oregon in the game at a bad time.They should look at this game, and look at it good. I think Cam Newton is an outstanding athlete, but may be better suited as a TE. You can't miss screen passes as bad as he did, and call yourself NFL ready.

and you know this, how?

hes the typical run around, spend his life in shotgun, doesnt know how to read a defense college QB on a great team with loads of talent. that translates to fail in the NFL. im glad hes the best college player youve ever seen, thats all warm and fuzzy, but he will bomb in the NFL.

colt brennan was jaw dropping too.

This game shows what he does under pressure. Yes he won, but was it b/c of him? I don't think so. He had the opportunity to lock in a top 10 spot, while he had a national stage, and played okay. He had two turnovers (one of them a HUGE FUMBLE which kept Oregon in the game at a bad time.They should look at this game, and look at it good. I think Cam Newton is an outstanding athlete, but may be better suited as a TE. You can't miss screen passes as bad as he did, and call yourself NFL ready.

Are we going to ignore everything else he did this season? How about the win he and the Tigers had IN Tuscaloosa? That was a pressure situation, no? Look, he made some mistakes last night....but he totally gutted it out and w/o him on the roster there is zero chance Auburn has the record that it did. One game will not make/break Cam Newton in the eyes of scouts.

For the people so adamantly hyping Newton, does it not bother you that he's only had one year playing QB in college? Has there ever been a QB that's played for one year in college and been successful in the pros? That's a serious question BTW. I can't seem to think of one.

For the people so adamantly hyping Newton, does it not bother you that he's only had one year playing QB in college? Has there ever been a QB that's played for one year in college and been successful in the pros? That's a serious question BTW. I can't seem to think of one.

i thought sanchez was kinda like this wasnt he? not saying hes a great QB but hes pretty good.

I don't know about all that. They won the football game and he didn't cost them. Auburn fell behind a few times this year against good competition and he didn't wilt in the second half of those games. If anything, he raised his level. We need to be careful not to read everything into one game, a game he won, we can't forget. Not like he was dreadful.

Newton got going in the 2nd quarter when Auburn scored 16 points, but he played most of the 2nd half with a back injury. He was taken to the hospital for x-rays after the game.

Michael Dyer after the game.

Tonight I kind of picked it up for him because I knew he was in pain and hurt and the frustration. But he still played. He didn't quit. He didn't have any reason. He don't say "my back hurts so I couldn't do this or that." He just said I'm going to suck it up and keep going," and he kept fighting for us.

whats funny is the same people touting Cam Newton will be in here either next year or the year after touting denard robinson as "the best player theyve ever seen".

when will people figure out that fast scrambling QBs SUCK in the NFL? and dont bring up vick, his one glory year that fizzled out badly in the last 4 weeks of the season is hardly enough to warrant drafting another one of these guys. doesnt anyone remember vince young? obviously not.

It looks like Jake Locker could be Shanny's guy after all.

:puke:

Blackmon 1st, OL 2nd. Roll with Rex, Vince or Hasselbeck next year. Yes, they all suck. I'm not advocating any of them as solutions. Get the QB next year. Too many holes elsewhere and not enough talent at the position in the draft to waste a high pick.

whats funny is the same people touting Cam Newton will be in here either next year or the year after touting denard robinson as "the best player theyve ever seen".

when will people figure out that fast scrambling QBs SUCK in the NFL? and dont bring up vick, his one glory year that fizzled out badly in the last 4 weeks of the season is hardly enough to warrant drafting another one of these guys. doesnt anyone remember vince young? obviously not.

How about Steve Young? Oh, that's right...he's white...we can't compare Newton to him.

i thought sanchez was kinda like this wasnt he? not saying hes a great QB but hes pretty good.

Kinda, he started 3 games the year before he became the starter, but I think the pro style of offense at USC worked in his favor. The transition from the college to the pro game wasn't what it'll be for Cam Newton in that regard.

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 10:52 AM ----------

they asked gruden about him and he said there is no doubt he's a project quarterback that is going to take YEARS to develop into a starting NFL QB.

we don't have that kind of time.

Why don't we? We've got nothing but time, we're terrible.

How about Steve Young? Oh, that's right...he's white...we can't compare Newton to him.

steve young COULD run. to my knowledge he didnt rush 25 times a game.

edit: in college steve young rushed for 444 yards his last year as a starter. newton just just rushed for 1587.

but surely theres no difference, aside from their skin color. lol

I think you're right, although he hasn't been that impressive in the NFL...but at least he's been good enough to lead his team to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons.

17 TDs 13 INTs 75.3 QB Rating

maybe it's more of the jets dragging him kicking and screaming into the playoffs each year.

here's a list of qbs in his rating area with more tds than ints:

sam bradford

shaun hill

alex smith

those are the three ABOVE him

steve young COULD run. to my knowledge he didnt rush 25 times a game.

edit: in college steve young rushed for 444 yards his last year as a starter. newton just just rushed for 1587.

but surely theres no difference, aside from their skin color. lol

steve young, on average, rushed 4.2 times per game. i wouldn't call him a running qb.

Archived