Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playoff Seeding

Ron78

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The 7-9 Seahawks winning their division and making the playoffs is a symptom of the modern NFL that facilitates parity among teams. It will happen again.

A lot of things have changed throughout the history of the NFL, such as free agency and revenue sharing between smaller and larger markets. The NFL has made a concerted effort in recent decades to level the playing field between teams, which gives way to a team like the Seahawks making the playoffs. The teams with the best records should be in the playoffs.

I don't care if it DOES happen again. I don't care if it happens again next year.

When it does, it will still not be any reason to change anything.

The division winners should be in the playoffs. Those who do not win their division are at the mercy of how it shakes out beyond that, regardless of their record.

Destino, great post. Where does that art in your sig come from?

~Bang

just like the Seahawks made it, what if a team does the opposite, goes 12-4 or 11-5, wins their division but doesn't get to go to the dance? that's really dumb.

I don't think it's mathmatically possible for someone to go 12-4 and not make it, but I still the think the best team records deserve to go regardless.

:ols:

They just re-aligned the league.

As it is now, each team in each division plays practically an identical schedule, with the exception of two games which are scheduled based on last year's record.

It's one of the BEST things they've ever done.

For all the crying about parity ruining the league and making it vulnerable to be overrun by the 7-9 ragamuffins of the league.. consider that of all the other 11 teams entering the payoffs averaged 11 wins.

All this ninnyboobery about parity setting the stage for a league of 8-8 teams battling it out for the title of King of the Average is RIDICULOUS.

It does not bear out to any sort of stat analysis at all.

Parity works. It has not reduced the league to nothing but average teams. If anything it has made it easier for bad teams to get better faster.

This is a joke. Another short sighted bit of knee jerking.

~Bang

This is ridiculous. The system is perfectly fine as it is. To assume that it should be perfect is silly. No system is.

The fact that this is only now an issue speaks for that. The Giants did not deserve to be in the playoffs instead of the Seahawks because they did not get done what they needed to get done.

I disagree...why not be rewarded for winning your division?

what for winning in the ****iest division in the NFC, that, for years now, strength of schedule is in the basement of the league? If the league still wants the division winner to be seeded fine, but don't give a team with less than .500 a home field advantage. The Hawks have a huge advantage at Quest field, as witnessed tonight.

You wanna earn a playoff spot? Win your division.

If you don't win your division, you're basically relying on help and luck to get in. You're still legit if you get in, but don't cry about it if you don't.

Football should stay a hard-nosed league.

Although it still sucks for teams like Tampa, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The Seahawks shouldn't have to suffer because of how bad their division was. They won it fair and square.

Although it still sucks for teams like Tampa, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The Seahawks shouldn't have to suffer because of how bad their division was. They won it fair and square.

with a strength of schedule ranked 29th (3oth) and the rest of their division bottom feeding along with them. This is every year.

28. 49ers 117-139 .457

T29. Chargers* 116-140 .453

T29. Seahawks 116-140 .453

31. Rams 115-141 .449

32. Cardinals* 114-142 .445

what for winning in the ****iest division in the NFC, that, for years now, strength of schedule is in the basement of the league? If the league still wants the division winner to be seeded fine, but don't give a team with less than .500 a home field advantage. The Hawks have a huge advantage at Quest field, as witnessed tonight.

So what if they had great home field advantage?

I think people are forgetting something here. Instead of blaming a supposedly "flawed" system, lets blame New Orleans for just not getting it done. Seattle made the playoffs and took advantage of their situation. The Saints did not.

I think people are forgetting something here. Instead of blaming a supposedly "flawed" system, lets blame New Orleans for just not getting it done. Seattle made the playoffs and took advantage of their situation. The Saints did not.

/thread

~Bang

Dude, a few years ago the Cardinals made the playoffs out of that same division. And they were catching crap for being a sorry team, not deserving of a playoff spot, just as the Seahawks were this year. The Cards nearly won the SB that year, playing in the worst division in football. Seattle just knocked off the defending SB champs out of that very same division. So while you can keep saying its a ****ty division, and it probably is, you still can't overlook that the Seahawks and Cards have had success coming from there. Once the playoffs start, all the teams are 0-0, anyway.

Bottom line, there isn't anything wrong with the playoff seeding, as is. Today, in my mind, just further illustrates that point. The timing of these idiotic threads, quite frankly, couldn't be worse. This is the first time EVER that a team has won its division with a losing record, and went on to win a playoff game. If this were a common occurence, THEN it would be a problem. Tired of these stupid threads.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 01:38 AM ----------

Exactly. And I'm sure the Saints weren't complaining one bit about having to travel out there to face them. They were basically given a bye this week, but couldn't get it done. They have no one to blame but themselves. You're supposed to beat a 7-9 team. Period. Especially if you're the defending champs.

Tired of these stupid threads.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 01:38 AM ----------

You could always go jump off of a bridge Dude.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 01:45 AM ----------

neither you or bang addressed the strength of schedule. Bottom line is the Hawks get to the playoffs regularly with the NFL schedule makers help.

You could always go jump off of a bridge Dude.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 01:45 AM ----------

neither you or bang addressed the strength of schedule. Bottom line is the Hawks get to the playoffs regularly with the NFL schedule makers help.

I didn't address it because it doesn't require addressing.

It is not the schedulemaker's responsibility to make their division better.

Bottom line: win the division and you're in. Any division.

~Bang

I didn't address it because it doesn't require addressing.

It is not the schedulemaker's responsibility to make their division better.

Bottom line: win the division and you're in. Any division.

~Bang

I guess that you didn't understand my question (or didn't want to). The NFC west division is handed the easiest schedules in the league year after year. This isn't making the division "better" it's just making it easier for them. For example, 4 years ago? The Redskins had the second toughest schedule, the Hawks had the 31st toughest schedule. The Redskins lost most of their games in the first half of the season and had to "win out" to make the playoffs, which they did mostly road games. The hawks won their division. The Redskins beat the Bucs in Tampa then had to travel to Seattle. The Redskins were pretty beat up from playing tough teams. Brunell was hobbling around. The Hawks were well rested from their usual cake walk schedule, playing at home, in the loudest stadium in the league, with the league leading amount of false starts for the visiting teams. I'm sure that you remember the game. If the Hawks had to play the same schedule the Redskins played they wouldn't have won their division and would've had more injuries ect...

I guess that you didn't understand my question (or didn't want to). The NFC west division is handed the easiest schedules in the league year after year. This isn't making the division "better" it's just making it easier for them. For example, 4 years ago? The Redskins had the second toughest schedule, the Hawks had the 31st toughest schedule. The Redskins lost most of their games in the first half of the season and had to "win out" to make the playoffs, which they did mostly road games. The hawks won their division. The Redskins beat the Bucs in Tampa then had to travel to Seattle. The Redskins were pretty beat up from playing tough teams. Brunell was hobbling around. The Hawks were well rested from their usual cake walk schedule, playing at home, in the loudest stadium in the league, with the league leading amount of false starts for the visiting teams. I'm sure that you remember the game. If the Hawks had to play the same schedule the Redskins played they wouldn't have won their division and would've had more injuries ect...

:ols: The NFC West isn't "handed" anything. It's a rotating format. The schedule makers don't make any schedule easier than another. The ONLY thing schedule makers do is the time of the game. How that is handing them an easy schedule is beyond me.

:ols: The NFC West isn't "handed" anything. It's a rotating format. The schedule makers don't make any schedule easier than another. The ONLY thing schedule makers do is the time of the game. How that is handing them an easy schedule is beyond me.

From what I understand there are two games per team schedule that are non-standard, and this lousy division plays itself 6 out of 16 games

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 02:23 AM ----------

You would have thought that what Seattle did today would end these kind of discussions.

Nope. I guess we're always gonna have the knee-jerkers wanting to change every little nuance of the game.

Do you also think that the Hawks would've won in the superdome?

From what I understand there are two games per team schedule that are non-standard, and this lousy division plays itself 6 out of 16 games

Yeah. They play the two teams from other in-conference divisions. But so? And they can't help that they have to play 6 games against division opponents. How can they do anything about the other teams in their division not being any good? :whoknows:

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 02:23 AM ----------

Do you also think that the Hawks would've won in the superdome?

Doesn't matter. Seattle did what they had to do to host a playoff game. Its irrelevant whether or not they would have won in NO. If NO hadn't lost to the Bills and Browns (at home) earlier in the season then maybe they wouldn't have had to travel to Seattle.

Archived