Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playoff Seeding

Ron78

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks win their division to get their first game at home and advance in the playoffs against the defending NFL champions. Got to love parity in the NFL. What's next? A 6-10 team winning their division and making the playoffs?

I am of the opinion that the NFL should not longer automatically seed division champions. Seed the NFL teams with the straight best records.

So the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks win their division to get their first game at home and advance in the playoffs against the defending NFL champions. Got to love parity in the NFL. What's next? a 6-9 team winning their division and making the playoffs?

I am of the opinion that the NFL should not longer automatically seed division champions. Seed the NFL teams with the straight best records.

I disagree...why not be rewarded for winning your division?

It happens in other sports as well. I recall the Caps winning the division and being the #3 seed even though there were teams with more points than them. Currently, the Boston Bruins are the #3 seed because they are first in their division. The Bruins have 48 points. The Caps are currently the #5 seed and have 52 points. The 7th and 8th seeds have 50 and 47 points respectively.

That's just the way things work. You win your division you automatically get seeded higher than other teams. I think it would be a bit odd to do it differently. Why even have divisions if you don't do it that way?

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 08:50 PM ----------

What's next? Screw NFC and AFC, just pick the best 12 teams in the league. Who cares if they are all AFC teams.

Exactly.

Can't believe this is even an issue after the Seahawks beat the Saints.

The problem is that the Seahawks never deserved the opportunity to play the Saints in the playoffs. The Giants with a 10-6 record did. A 6-10 team could have upset the Saints too. That does not mean they would have deserved to be there.

It happens in other sports as well. I recall the Caps winning the division and being the #3 seed even though there were teams with more points than them. Currently, the Boston Bruins are the #3 seed because they are first in their division. The Bruins have 48 points. The Caps are currently the #5 seed and have 52 points. The 7th and 8th seeds have 50 and 47 points respectively.

That's just the way things work. You win your division you automatically get seeded higher than other teams. I think it would be a bit odd to do it differently. Why even have divisions if you don't do it that way?

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 08:50 PM ----------

Exactly.

I really don't think it's cool in any sport. Who cares that the Seahawks won a crappy division? The Giants went 10-6 but got bumped. How would you feel if they Redskins were at home with a 10-6 record while the Seahawks were competing in the playoffs with a 7-9 record?

The trickle down effect to the change you're proposing is that divisions wouldn't matter any more, and consequently neither would the rivalries. I for one enjoy the division rivalries.

It's true that no longer automatically seeding division champions would lessen the value of division rivalries, but those rivalries would still exist because you would still play those teams twice a year.

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 09:00 PM ----------

Ah yes, more knee jerk reactions to anomalies that are ruining the game football.

No, it should not be changed. It is perfectly fine the way it is.

~Bang

It is not an "anomaly." It is the future of an NFL that makes a concerted effort to evenly distribute talent. It will not be the last time we see a 7-9 team make the playoffs, and sooner or later we will probably see a 6-10 team make the playoffs.

I

It is not an "anomaly." It is the future of an NFL that makes a concerted effort to evenly distribute talent. It will not be the last time we see a 7-9 team make the playoffs, and sooner or later we will probably see a 6-10 team make the playoffs.

:ols:

Did you just seriously tell me that something that has happened ONCE in the history of the NFL is not an anomaly?

I think maybe you should go look up the word.

And while you're at it, get rid of the crystal ball that has you trying to convince me that you can see the future.

Football is not for ninnies whining about what is fair and what's not fair. Football used to be about MAKING it fair by winning, not begging for rules to save you. If the Giants won the east, they'd be in the playoffs. Period. If the Bucs had won the south, they'd be in the playoffs. Period. If the Super Bowl champion Saints had won their division, they wouldn't have had to travel to lose to the 7-9 division winning Seahawks.

What is fair is that for the entire history of the modern NFL there has been the absolute understanding that winning your division put you in the playoffs. Every single player and coach in the NFL start every year knowing that the most sure way to have a chance at winning the trophy is to win your division. To cry that it's not fair AFTER the season has shaken out is as whiny as it gets.

Don't change it. One knee jerk reaction already has changed overtime, and that pretty much cheapens the history of some of the greatest games of all time. Why not ruin it more by removing the importance and reward of winning your division?

To all, i beseech you.

Enough.

Save the NFL from this kind of garbage. Save our game before it's too late.

~Bang

If you want to ruin football and destroy the rivalries then sure your idea makes sense. The NFL is built around divisions, not conferences. How many redskins fans give a damn about the Cardinals anymore? How many did back when the cardinals were in our division? I think you see my point. I don't care if the Giants had a better record than the seahawks, both had chances at the end of the season to win their division. The Seahawks did the Giants didn't and that's why the Seahawks were playing.

We talk about division titles. We talk about division record. That's the NFL.

Throwing all that away because you don't like the idea that the Saints lost to a Seahawk team... you're crazy. It's part of what makes the NFL great.

Here is the deal people, your record doesn't mean anything UNLESS you aren't the best team in your division. Division > record. Wild card and record is something you worry about when you've failed to win your division. I disagree with not giving the Seahawks a home game too. Winning their division matters more than the Saints record. Division titles are a bigger deal than simply records.

The NFL is amazing. The product that is produced every week is absolutely phenomenal. Ratings are enormous, teams are profitable and parity makes it so fans of all teams have hope year in and year out.

Why do we need to change things? Why every year do we need to try and "fix" problems that don't even exist. The Seahawks winning today was fun and a great story. And you know how the Saints could have avoid what happened to them? They win THEIR division.

Winning your division matters. It matters a lot. Had the Saints done it, they would still be playing. But they didn't.

Why do we need to change things? Why every year do we need to try and "fix" problems that don't even exist. The Seahawks winning today was fun and a great story. And you know how the Saints could have avoid what happened to them? They win THEIR division.

Winning your division matters. It matters a lot. Had the Saints done it, they would still be playing. But they didn't.

They also could have just won THIS game. It's easy to complain about this after the fact, but every team in the league would have traded places with the Saints yesterday...long flight, loud stadium, and all. Beat the "bad" team and you advance.

Whats funny is that if the Redskins were in the Seahawks position this thread would have never been started.

Perhaps, but the point would still be valid. What if the Redskins were in the Giants' position instead?

:ols:

Did you just seriously tell me that something that has happened ONCE in the history of the NFL is not an anomaly?

I think maybe you should go look up the word.

And while you're at it, get rid of the crystal ball that has you trying to convince me that you can see the future.

Football is not for ninnies whining about what is fair and what's not fair. Football used to be about MAKING it fair by winning, not begging for rules to save you. If the Giants won the east, they'd be in the playoffs. Period. If the Bucs had won the south, they'd be in the playoffs. Period. If the Super Bowl champion Saints had won their division, they wouldn't have had to travel to lose to the 7-9 division winning Seahawks.

What is fair is that for the entire history of the modern NFL there has been the absolute understanding that winning your division put you in the playoffs. Every single player and coach in the NFL start every year knowing that the most sure way to have a chance at winning the trophy is to win your division. To cry that it's not fair AFTER the season has shaken out is as whiny as it gets.

Don't change it. One knee jerk reaction already has changed overtime, and that pretty much cheapens the history of some of the greatest games of all time. Why not ruin it more by removing the importance and reward of winning your division?

To all, i beseech you.

Enough.

Save the NFL from this kind of garbage. Save our game before it's too late.

~Bang

The 7-9 Seahawks winning their division and making the playoffs is a symptom of the modern NFL that facilitates parity among teams. It will happen again.

A lot of things have changed throughout the history of the NFL, such as free agency and revenue sharing between smaller and larger markets. The NFL has made a concerted effort in recent decades to level the playing field between teams, which gives way to a team like the Seahawks making the playoffs. The teams with the best records should be in the playoffs.

A lot of things have changed throughout the history of the NFL, such as free agency and revenue sharing between smaller and larger markets. The NFL has made a concerted effort in recent decades to level the playing field between teams, which gives way to a team like the Seahawks making the playoffs. The teams with the best records should be in the playoffs.

So you would or would not be OK with abandoning the divisional format?

If you want to ruin football and destroy the rivalries then sure your idea makes sense. The NFL is built around divisions, not conferences. How many redskins fans give a damn about the Cardinals anymore? How many did back when the cardinals were in our division? I think you see my point. I don't care if the Giants had a better record than the seahawks, both had chances at the end of the season to win their division. The Seahawks did the Giants didn't and that's why the Seahawks were playing.

We talk about division titles. We talk about division record. That's the NFL.

Throwing all that away because you don't like the idea that the Saints lost to a Seahawk team... you're crazy. It's part of what makes the NFL great.

Here is the deal people, your record doesn't mean anything UNLESS you aren't the best team in your division. Division > record. Wild card and record is something you worry about when you've failed to win your division. I disagree with not giving the Seahawks a home game too. Winning their division matters more than the Saints record. Division titles are a bigger deal than simply records.

I do not think a 7-9 team getting a shot in the playoffs makes the NFL great and winning the lame duck NFC West with a losing record is not more significant than having a winning record.

The NFL is amazing. The product that is produced every week is absolutely phenomenal. Ratings are enormous, teams are profitable and parity makes it so fans of all teams have hope year in and year out.

Of course parity is more profitable for the NFL. Closer scoring games translate into better television ratings for the NFL. Personally, I miss the good old fashioned ass-beatings of the 1980's.

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 10:08 PM ----------

They have been...I don't remember an outcry to change NFL rules when our 10-6 Redskins were left out of the playoffs in 1989...

We were not bumped by a team with a losing record, but regardless I think eliminating automatic seeding of division champs is the way to go for the modern NFL. You might agree with me if we see a 6-10 team make the playoffs.

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 10:10 PM ----------

So you would or would not be OK with abandoning the divisional format?

I would be in favor of keeping the divisions and schedules where division teams play each other twice in a season. I just want to eliminate automatic seeding of division champs.

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

still pretty dumb if you win your division and get the banner and everything and don't even go to the playoffs. lol!

Not if you have a losing record.

Archived