Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 NFL draft order

BillyKilmer

I'd prefer to see us trade down to acquire more picks. This team has multiple holes and there's nothing set in stone that says you can't get a franchise quarterback after the first round (see: Brady, Tom). We need to stop depending on the quick fix and play younger, hungrier players who are more likely to be out to prove something than those who just come to DC for the big payday.

We may be cooked in terms of getting a first round grade quarterback, but we're actually in a really good spot overall. Let's assume that somehow these guys are all off the board at the 10th pick:

Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Andrew Luck

Ryan Mallett

Blaine Gabbert

Now, I'm doing some reaching on who may or may not declare. Gabbert and Luck may not... Newton could elect to stay, but I doubt it.

That means five quarterbacks went off the board within the top ten picks.

That means of these guys only FOUR will be off the board:

Patrick Peterson

Prince Amukamara

Da'Quan Bowers

Nick Fairley

Julio Jones

Robert Quinn

Marcell Darius

AJ Green

Ryan Kerrigan

Justin Blackmon

Mark Ingram

This is where we can turn our franchise around.

If we have a guy we're enamored with of this list, we can select them... Or we can trade down. That's 11 guys right there. Seven should be available. Not to mention other high grade guys that could be looked at quite favorably (Ayers, Miller, Nevis, Solder, etc). The first round is loaded with talent. Dropping back to acquire extra picks in an overall talent ridden draft could be a great move. Picking a guy like Quinn, Blackmon, Green, Kerrigan, Bowers, Jones, Peterson or Amukamara could help as well.

There are quarterbacks to be had later at this point... guys like Andy Dalton, Greg McElroy, etc.

Top 10 not bad, just wish the Skins would have LOST against the Jags. That might be the worst win this franchise has ever done.

Regardless the Skins will be in good position to get a TOP player, or hopefully trade down and recoup picks.

Id be happy if we

1) Stay where we are and take the best WR on the board. (A.J. Green http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTm9oFWJNg or Justin Blackmon

)

OR

2) Go crazy and trade our 10th this year plus the 2012 1st plus whatever else it takes to get in the #1 spot and take Luck. For this years draft class I either want Luck or nobody as far as QB's are concerned.

Harbaugh seems destined to leave Stanford per Schefter this morning on ESPN and I'd bet Luck comes out because of it.

IF Shanny decides Luck is his guy, do people think Carolina would take our 2011 1st, McNabb (fill-in 3rd) and our 2012 1st?

The lines can be taken care of in free agency.

I agree, the bonus of the uncapped year from last offseason is the number of younger FA out there this offseason. The team can add FA OL help that is 26, 27 (not 36, 37), it isn't the best draft for interior OL, we are going to be about 50 mill under new cap after dumping another wave of players so we should be able to add VALUE in FA this year after signing stop-gaps last offseason. I am not opposed to using the second rounder on a C or G, but the first would be a wasted opportunity to get a playmaker. While I get the cries for building the lines, which we must, I think the cries for "only drafting guys" is a reaction to the ways of Vinny. We have to sign a few FA too.

And, while it is true that many of the most dominant teams have homegrown lines, they also drafted playmakers at some point too. If we sit at 10 and Jake Locker or AJ Green is there, go get them! If we trade up it has to be to go for the top QB in Shannys eyes. If we trade back we might be looking at OL, NT, OL with three day one picks which would really be a change from the way it has been done before. It is really too early to see what the draft day plan will be, given that we will see what happens March 1-draft day first. Lots of options with 10, and I agree if we want to go back it is easier with 10 than the 7th pick.

What does everyone think about trading the 10th pick and McNabb to Zona for the 5th? Obviously has to be a draft day decision and see who is available at 5 but I think it would work.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

How do we draft behind the cowgirls when the standings show us fourth in our own division?

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?342655-FACT-(actually-fiction)-Redskins-to-draft-9th-(MET)

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/chamberlain/2011/01/redskins-to-pick-10th-in-2011-nfl-draft-6712.html

I'd prefer to see us trade down to acquire more picks. This team has multiple holes and there's nothing set in stone that says you can't get a franchise quarterback after the first round (see: Brady, Tom). We need to stop depending on the quick fix and play younger, hungrier players who are more likely to be out to prove something than those who just come to DC for the big payday.

Thank you. I agree.

Let someone else later in the draft (Minny) trade up for our pick to nab a QB and let us draft tons of young talent.

We can ride Rex for a couple of years and perhaps draft a QB in 2012.

We're cooked. Literally 7 of the 9 teams picking before us could seriously be in the market for a QB. If we want one of the top 3 QBs, I don't see a way around this problem without trading up. We just have to do it and bite the bullet. We know that in all likelihood, Carolina, Buffalo, and San Francisco will take a QB if they like one. We're in a really bad spot right now.

I agree only top Qb prospect that might slip IMO is Locker. Good news is with all those teams going QB, a marquee player like Quinn, Green, Bowers might slip to us

Stop playing Madden. This organization doesn't need to trade up! It needs to trade back in the draft. There are far too many holes in this roster to simply sit there at #10.

Trading up and trading back is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Too many factors involved.

You guys wanting Locker are nuts. I loved him last year, but man am I glad he stayed in school. Exposed for everything he is not. Did you watch either of the Nebraska games? I don't want anyone who had FOUR games under 75 yards passing.

Dont know much about this kid but damn that sounds bad!!..

You know, I never root for the team to lose, but in the big picture, winning that JAX game really didn't give us anything except feeling good about ourselves in the short term.

Ah well. It is what it is.

One should not think about destiny. All things happen for a reason. :)

You guys wanting Locker are nuts. I loved him last year, but man am I glad he stayed in school. Exposed for everything he is not. Did you watch either of the Nebraska games? I don't want anyone who had FOUR games under 75 yards passing.

I keep seeing his name come up on this board and feel the same way. Fortunately for some team, he didn't come out last year because he has BUST written all over him. More based on what's between his ears. The dude seems to have lost all confidence in throwing the ball.

Carolina

Buffalo

Cincinnati

Arizona

San Francisco

Tennessee

We have to hope Palmer and Young come back to their respective teams and one of those teams wants McNabb and then is no longer inclined to want to use their pick on a QB. That'll leave 3 teams to deal with.

Archived