Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 NFL draft order

BillyKilmer

I know it's necessary but Shanahan should have taken it on the chin and manned up, instead he blamed it all on McNabb. That's my beef with it.

Shanahan has an ego no doubt--so do other good coaches though. If he "blamed" McNabb then McNabb is just as much at fault for putting himself in a position to be "blamed" by thinking hes above the system. He could of blamed Griese and Plummer in their first years when they had mediocre seasons but he stuck with them--that speaks volumes to me in this similar scenario with McNabb.

I also see this Shanny/McNabb situation as similar to Coughlin and Kurt Warner. Didn't mean that Warner was done as a QB or that Coughlin made a bad decision as a coach.

Just like I equated here:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?341851-I-ve-seen-this-Deja-Vu-season-before-but-not-how-you-think.&highlight=Deja

I'd prefer to see us trade down to acquire more picks. This team has multiple holes and there's nothing set in stone that says you can't get a franchise quarterback after the first round (see: Brady, Tom). We need to stop depending on the quick fix and play younger, hungrier players who are more likely to be out to prove something than those who just come to DC for the big payday.

I actually think we are in the catbird's seat. A player that may not fit our schemes will fall out of the top 10 (I know we are 10). Some of the teams between 11-20 may get enamoured with a certain guy. Maybe we can trade down if we don't get a QB, pick up an extra pick and then take Devlin from Deleware who won't be a top 10 pick.

Let all the teams above us with a need at QB take one. All that means is we'll get a great impact player at another position. Not to mention, next year we'll be in prime shape to pick up a QB because all these teams will have already invested 1st round picks on QBs.

We're cooked. Literally 7 of the 9 teams picking before us could seriously be in the market for a QB. If we want one of the top 3 QBs, I don't see a way around this problem without trading up. We just have to do it and bite the bullet. We know that in all likelihood, Carolina, Buffalo, and San Francisco will take a QB if they like one. We're in a really bad spot right now.

In pretty much all the mocks I’ve seen, Luck has been the only QB expected to go in the top 10. So while there may be a lot of teams ahead of us who need a QB, the quality just doesn't seem to be there. I’ve seen Mallett expected to go as late as the 20s, and Locker in the 2nd round. If teams go for QBs early, there may be some reaching going on.

As much as I love the idea of drafting our QB of the future, this seems to be a pretty weak crop of QBs once you get beyond Luck, and I don’t want to reach at 10 just so we can say we took a QB.

As much as I love the idea of drafting our QB of the future, this seems to be a pretty weak crop of QBs once you get beyond Luck, and I don’t want to reach at 10 just so we can say we took a QB.

Much like last year, it seems like there was a huge drop-off after Bradford.

I'd say it was a good sign that Shanny went with Trent Williams versus just drafting a QB for the sake of it.

This isn't the year to trade down and acquire more picks. There will be a ton of free agents both young and old as a result of the uncapped year.

I say try you damnedest to land Luck

Whilst I will be happy to accept MS's opinion on a QB should he, as is likely, go a different route I am with you on this one. He looks special and worth giving a bunch up for, especially given our cap room and FO thrifty dealing.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Gabbert declared for the draft today. This will definitely help our chances at getting a shot at Newton, Locker or Mallet.

Beat me to it!

From what I see Gabbert seems to have all the skills Locker has and according to the draft commission he was graded as a 1st round pick

Trading up and trading back is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Too many factors involved.

If it's so difficult to manuever then why do teams like New England, and Baltimore consistently do it?

I'm not saying moving back is a sure thing, but I honestly can't remember a time when we have actually tried it. If your working the phones on draft day you can certainly find a willing trade partner who is willing to trade up in order to covet a person lthey REALLY like. One of things that I believe Bill Belichick does really well is that he can place value on the later part of the 1st round, which pays players less, and also finds you value picks in that area. I would rather miss in the later part of the 1st then have to deal with missing in the top 10 with all of the guaranteed dollars that are involved. But if your scouts, and the rest of your front office is doing their jobs then they are going to draft the right person that fits the scheme, and it will also will allow them to recoup later picks. I believe this organization needs to get as many picks as possible. The only way to do that is trading back or seriously consider trading fan favorites like Chris Cooley or D Hall. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm playing Madden, so we need to find a way to trade back in this draft

If it's so difficult to manuever then why do teams like New England, and Baltimore consistently do it?

I'm not saying moving back is a sure thing, but I honestly can't remember a time when we have actually tried it. If your working the phones on draft day you can certainly find a willing trade partner who is willing to trade up in order to covet a person lthey REALLY like. One of things that I believe Bill Belichick does really well is that he can place value on the later part of the 1st round, which pays players less, and also finds you value picks in that area. I would rather miss in the later part of the 1st then have to deal with missing in the top 10 with all of the guaranteed dollars that are involved. But if your scouts, and the rest of your front office is doing their jobs then they are going to draft the right person that fits the scheme, and it will also will allow them to recoup later picks. I believe this organization needs to get as many picks as possible. The only way to do that is trading back or seriously consider trading fan favorites like Chris Cooley or D Hall. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm playing Madden, so we need to find a way to trade back in this draft

Cause it's easier with later round picks. But getting good value in a trade for a top 10 pick is VERY tough.

Archived