Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Appreciation: Santana Terrell Moss

RBClintonPortis

The 4th All-time Redskin receiver (after Monk, Taylor and Clark) has fully separated himself from the Henry Ellards, Ricky Sanders, Charlie Browns etc, with his 3rd 1,000 yard season in 6 years. In Redskin’s history, I submit, it is no longer the Big Three (w. Monk above the other two) and then everybody else, but the Big Three, then Moss, then everybody else.

His Cowboy-killing ways (especially) have earned him that distinction. So does his constant refusal to quit (witness yesterday) and missing 4 games in 6 full season despite his almost Brandon Banks like-size for someone used as a workhorse WR. He has been the Redskins leaderin Recptions and yards for 5 consecutive seasons. He has also racked up more receiving yards than all but the big three by catching balls from Brunell, Campbell, Collins, McNabb and Grossman (not exactly Sonny, Billy, Joe and Doug).

All that and Sunday could be his last in a Redskin Uniform. I hope not, but it really is not unthinkable that it could be. Just in case it is, I will be trying to keep my eye on 89. We would be extremely lucky to have a receiver to have a 6 year span like Santana has.

I didn't realize his contract gets voided and he's a FA after this year. I hope to hell we sign him back. He's been a great player for us and seems to get more respect from outsiders than from us sometimes. We've given him some grief for dropped balls but I think we can admit he always works his ass off and never gives up. He's racked up a lot of yards and receptions for us and I think his consistency despite changes in quarterbacks and poor teams speaks for itself. Definitely a guy that deserves some love from this fanbase as he's been one of our few bright spots and always comes ready for the Cowboys.

I'd like us to go in another direction personally than the 32 year old Moss as will be next year.

Not that I don't appreciate all he's done through the last six years, I most certainly do. And for his Dallas exploits alone, most notably those two TD receptions off the two long Scott bombs in the Monday Night Miracle; he'll ALWAYS have a place in Redskin lore.

But for the money, he's never been a true number one when you look at his numbers throughout his career, and more so the amount of drops he has at crucial times, or the numerous times his frustration's have gotten the better of him out on the field in the form of dumbass penalty's. Heck, he's even been known to pull himself from games when the red mist has come down.

A good to very good, if a little short of being a great wide-out; but the times come to let him have his last big pay-day if he can get it, whilst we go in another, younger direction. There's a changing of the guard about to happen at Redskin park, and one of the key components to being a great HC, which is what we have in Shanahan, is knowing just when to cut ties with your vets, all the while leaving sentiment out of it.

Hail.

he has been one of my favorite redskins players since i've been a fan (2005). it will kill me to see him go to another team if he doesnt stay with us, but i think if he goes to a true playoff contending team, he will many more amazing seasons in him before retiring. i wish the best to him and i will always be a fan of santana moss.

Agreed. Moss doesn't get the appreciation he deserves in Washington.

Please bring back Moss and Portis next year! Keep those guys from the U in Washington Shanahan. They should retire as Redskins!!!

You can't mean that. I appreciate what Moss has done, but Portis is not a top back any longer. If he wants to get paid next to nothing and come back as a 3rd down back, then he's welcome back. BUT, he hasn't had game breaking speed or moves in 5 years. He falls down when people get near him. He's injured often. He's not going to be here next year.

Moss. Meh.... I'm thankful for what he's done in the past, but he's had some key drops and fumbles. I won't miss him to be honest, but I do appreciate what he has done. I'm just not too fond of players who drop passes and fumble, but pound their chest each time they catch one first down. He's the typical "me" player from the U.

I certainly won't miss him the same way I'll miss Portis, but like above poster said, certainly one of the top 3 players of the dark days of Skins football. Some of his catches will go down in Skins lore- more than just the Monday night miracle. He will be missed, but I agree, I think it's time to move on from the U.

I think that if he had been in the right organization with the right QB/system- we'd be talking about a potential HOFer. I just remember all those years Moss would blow 10 yards past the nearest DB, and nobody could ever fling it out there for him. Zorn may have saved his job if he let Santana return punts instead of Antwaan.

I used to take a sharpie and draw '89' on the backs of my football cleats before every game-- because to me, Moss was the newschool version of my favorite player: Gary "M'Fn" Clark.

Moss has quietly been the driving force behind our offense. Consistently being the go-to receiver? Check. Consistently making something out of nothing? Check. Three 1000 yard seasons? Check. Fourth all-time Redskins receiver? Check. Every game always giving it his all? Check. One of the most memorable games in the comeback primetime games against the Cowboys when down 13-0 then catching two touchdown bombs in the fourth quarter to lead us to a victory? Check!!!

I have no idea how some could feel we need to move away from Santana Moss. I really don't. Seeing how he has done all this with the carousel of Quarterbacks we have had in Washington and not having another bonafide receiver to play opposite him. He is the type of player I love...quietly going about his business, being a professional, and giving it his all. He will be on this team next year, and I am happy about that.

You can't mean that. I appreciate what Moss has done, but Portis is not a top back any longer. If he wants to get paid next to nothing and come back as a 3rd down back, then he's welcome back. BUT, he hasn't had game breaking speed or moves in 5 years. He falls down when people get near him. He's injured often. He's not going to be here next year.

Moss. Meh.... I'm thankful for what he's done in the past, but he's had some key drops and fumbles. I won't miss him to be honest, but I do appreciate what he has done. I'm just not too fond of players who drop passes and fumble, but pound their chest each time they catch one first down. He's the typical "me" player from the U.

Miami players may be "me" players but they can ball....and that's the most important thing. At least to me it is.

I hope we keep him.. it breaks my heart that after 6 years, we never found him a suitable number 2 receiver.. Would love to think what he'd of accomplished with another threat opposite of him.. People say "he's old, cut him".. really piss me off.. The only reason Moss isn't considered a super star in this league is because he's been the only receiver outside cooley we've had for 6 years.. Everything he's accomplished here, he did so being doubled most of the time.. That to me makes him a super star and one of the most under rated player in the last 10 years.

I have no idea how some could feel we need to move away from Santana Moss. I really don't. Seeing how he has done

I'll cut that sentence off right there. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's not about what someone has done. It's about what they can do. We have to be a Patriots type franchise to get good. We've got to get away from the fan favorites and get to the guys who get it done. I love that Dallas game from 05 as much as the next person, but it's 5 years ago.

For that game, we have last week when he dropped a potential game winning pass. The fumble in Green Bay a few years ago. He's a good receiver, but he's also been anything but a sure thing.

I'm a Moss fan. I loved that overtime game where he burned the jags. That's one of my favorite Skins games in the last 10 years. BUT. He's getting older. He's not beating teams deep any longer. He doesn't have break away speed. He doesn't have great hands. He is prone to the fumble.

If he'll take 3rd receiver money, I'd welcome him back. If not, then we need to wish him well and let his numbers do his talking for him during his stay here.

I'll cut that sentence off right there. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's not about what someone has done. It's about what they can do. We have to be a Patriots type franchise to get good. We've got to get away from the fan favorites and get to the guys who get it done. I love that Dallas game from 05 as much as the next person, but it's 5 years ago.

For that game, we have last week when he dropped a potential game winning pass. The fumble in Green Bay a few years ago. He's a good receiver, but he's also been anything but a sure thing.

I'm a Moss fan. I loved that overtime game where he burned the jags. That's one of my favorite Skins games in the last 10 years. BUT. He's getting older. He's not beating teams deep any longer. He doesn't have break away speed. He doesn't have great hands. He is prone to the fumble.

If he'll take 3rd receiver money, I'd welcome him back. If not, then we need to wish him well and let his numbers do his talking for him during his stay here.

He is still, currently, our number one receiver. Do I see him as our number one next year? Hopefully not, but I do see him able to contribute, more than likely, in the slot.

Moss is/was my favorite of the Gibbs II era...easily. His 2005 season alone was magical. That Christmas Eve game vs. the Giants was unbelievable. Having said that, I believe this year should be his last one in DC, along with most of the rest of that group. It's time to turn the page.

and have what at WR?

Archived