Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Appreciation: Santana Terrell Moss

RBClintonPortis

I love Moss as well, we just needed a number 2 and a better QB is the worst way while he was here. As sad as I would be to see him go, I almost want him to. He deserves to finish his career on a team that at least contends, and we will not be that team for a long time still..

Either way. I sign this appreciation thread~! Thanks Tana

Theres no way we let Moss go next year.UNLESS.....he alone,demands a HUGE contract.Even as he loses his steps,he's still gonna be a better 3rd and even 4th WR than most opposing D's has to cover him in Nickle and Dime backs.And the mismatches he will demand as he ages a lil and he's the slot back with 2 younger stronger and maybe faster stud WR's on the outside.Moss can retire,and i hope he does,a Redskin.

Getting rid of him wouldnt be because he is bad... let him ride his career in a place where he can win...

If we rebuild, might as well go young EVERYWHERE (see KC jettisoning TG & tampa getting rid of everyone on their once amazing D), including QB...................

I just hope our older coaches are committed to this...... a good talent-driven, youth movement, not an arrogant "ill coach up mediocre young undrafted FAs" movement

Getting rid of him wouldnt be because he is bad... let him ride his career in a place where he can win...

If we rebuild, might as well go young EVERYWHERE (see KC jettisoning TG & tampa getting rid of everyone on their once amazing D), including QB...................

I just hope our older coaches are committed to this...... a good talent-driven, youth movement, not an arrogant "ill coach up mediocre young undrafted FAs" movement

+1

I am trying to be unselfish, Moss has been great here and definitely deserves to be playing out his final years with a winner. For all the heat the U gets, he's at least one player we have from the U that doesn't have any off the field issues or distractions or anything negative. Wish I could buy the man a beer..

hes having perhaps his 2nd best season in a skins uniform. 84 receps, 10th in the league in overall yardage (before tonight and djax tomorrow) and 6 TDs. if he doesnt wanna stick around and be our slot guy i wish him the best, but id love to have him back in a reduced role where hes able to get better matchups from the Nick DBs.

I would think we can add two starters via the draft and free-agency to add to Armstrong and Austin. I like Moss a lot, but we need to give the next generation of guys a shot to claim the lead role on this team. I'm just ready to get rid of someone a year too early rather than a year too late.

if we add two starting WR's via the draft/free agency that is two fewer linemen or safeties or other dire needs we will be filling. why get rid of one of the few good players on this team? it makes no sense.

I love Santana and he was my favorite Redskins for a long time... recently I've been very critical and every drop passes makes me say get rid of him. Sometimes we forget that players are not perfect and will drop passes at times.

In the end, we need to keep Santana. Everyone says he isn't a true #1 receiver. We haven't had a better receiver in the past 6 years and right now he is 10th in the NFL in receptions... so our #1 receiver is playing much better than alot of other #1 receivers... He does need help though on the other side... I'm hoping Malcolm Kelly with his big frame can attract pressure away from Moss next year

I imagine he is as frustrated about the team as we are.. He deserves to WIN

I'd like us to go in another direction personally than the 32 year old Moss as will be next year.

Not that I don't appreciate all he's done through the last six years, I most certainly do. And for his Dallas exploits alone, most notably those two TD receptions off the two long Scott bombs in the Monday Night Miracle; he'll ALWAYS have a place in Redskin lore.

But for the money, he's never been a true number one when you look at his numbers throughout his career, and more so the amount of drops he has at crucial times, or the numerous times his frustration's have gotten the better of him out on the field in the form of dumbass penalty's. Heck, he's even been known to pull himself from games when the red mist has come down.

A good to very good, if a little short of being a great wide-out; but the times come to let him have his last big pay-day if he can get it, whilst we go in another, younger direction. There's a changing of the guard about to happen at Redskin park, and one of the key components to being a great HC, which is what we have in Shanahan, is knowing just when to cut ties with your vets, all the while leaving sentiment out of it.

Hail.

this reflects my sentiment almost exactly. while i wish to honor his achievements here... im not exactly hurt to see him leave either.

thinking for next year, on the team right now at WR we have moss, armstrong, kelly, austin, and banks (cooley and davis will also catch lots of passes). that's 4 young up-and-comers ... 5 if you want to count armstrong, technically a rookie at 28.

i made a little chart estimating how good our situation is at each offensive and defensive position ("DB" includes safeties). obviously there is a certain amount of subjectivity to this. but to me it looks like we have several much more dire areas of need than WR, which makes keeping moss while filling other larger holes the more strategically sound move. granted, if your goal is to simply blow up the entire team with no regard for on-field viability in the next two years, this strategy isn't relevant i suppose.

[color="blue"][color="black"]WR |[/color]||||||||||||||||||||||||||
[color="black"]QB |[/color]|||||||||
[color="black"]RB |[/color]|||||||||||||||||||||
[color="black"]DB |[/color]||||||||||||||||||
[color="black"]LB |[/color]||||||||||||
[color="black"]OL |[/color]|
[color="black"]DL |[/color]||||||||||||
[color="black"]TE |[/color]|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
[color="black"]---|-----------|------------|------------|------------|
 poor     below avg       avg          good        great[/color][/color]

what i'm saying is rather than sacraficing a good player for another possibly good player, we should upgrade our actual glaringly crappy players first. our resources need to be spent finding an o-line, future QB, a free safety, a nose tackle, and probably a couple linebackers.

if we add two starting WR's via the draft/free agency that is two fewer linemen or safeties or other dire needs we will be filling. why get rid of one of the few good players on this team? it makes no sense.

It makes sense to me to bring in newer, younger players. I don't believe we have to draft a first-round WR or anything, but I think we could add one in the middle rounds (especially if we trade away some older players for picks) and add a true #1 via FA. I'd be perfectly happy seeing Austin, Armstrong, Kelly, FA, and draftee make up our WR corps while we transition with a new QB and a newer, younger team. That would still give us plenty of resources to use at OL, DL, and FS.

Again, Moss is my favorite Redskin since he's been here. I think he's unbelievable, but sometimes you have to make the right decision for the future of your team. He won't still be here when we're ready to contend, so why not take his 80 catches and spread them around the future of our WR corps next year? It's not just Moss, I don't believe that Portis, Sellers, Daniels, etc. should still be with us in 2011 either. It's time to continue doing what we started last off-season and clear out the Gibbs players...they have their place in our history, but it's time to bring in the new group of players.

---------- Post added December-28th-2010 at 10:29 AM ----------

Funny looking back on it, I was seriously pissed about the Coles-Moss trade. I remember arguing "We just traded our best receiver for a glorified punt returner." Reason #23934893 why I'm not a GM...

I think I was the same way! I was certainly wrong!

i still don't see the upside of letting him go. people are advocating letting a good receiver go only to sign some hotshot free agent for twice the money? you'd think redskins fans would have had enough of that tactic by now.

Who said to sign a hot-shot FA for twice the money? You realize that we'll have to sign Moss to a new contract right? He's 31 (I think) and will probably be looking at his last big deal. I'm not advocating Vincent Jackson, necessarily, but someone much younger than Moss who would be considered a second-tier FA in this market.

Put it this way...if Moss would require 5/60M to re-sign or we could sign Jacoby Jones or someone like that for 5/35M while also drafting a WR and giving a bigger role to Kelly, Armstrong, and possibly Austin, don't you think that might be a pretty good trade-off (2 new, young guys for the price of a 31-year old Moss)?

Archived