Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Appreciation: Santana Terrell Moss

RBClintonPortis

How about you quit watching Chris Rock and start watching the redskins if your going to comment on them, eh chief?

That makes no sense, but whatever.

I have been watching. I watched Santana drop a potential game winning touchdown against the cowboys.

---------- Post added December-29th-2010 at 08:25 AM ----------

Nah, we're going to have to pay him #1 money. He's got us over a barrel. Give him whatever he wants.

I agree that our WR situation isn't good, but you don't pay a 5 foot 9 soon to be 32 year old WR #1 money. You just don't. Only the Redskins do dumb things like that.

That makes no sense, but whatever.

I have been watching. I watched Santana drop a potential game winning touchdown against the cowboys.

Dude why are you such a hater. You didnt thnk his 2 crucial tds end of 3rd/4th quarter were clutch. What about the "gametieing" td against tampa bay???? I think everyone knows he is not a #1 reciever. But if we cant grab VJax or Larry Fitz we HAVE TO GRAB Moss up. Our team will actually digress w/o a true #1 or even Moss. So why don't you take your talents elsewhere Chief. Enough hating going on from you sir

I agree that our WR situation isn't good, but you don't pay a 5 foot 9 soon to be 32 year old WR #1 money. You just don't. Only the Redskins do dumb things like that.

For the first time I can remember, I agree with what you wrote 100%. I like Moss a lot (as I've stated in this thread), but if you're going to have to pay a lot of money to someone, you go bigger and younger.

why do you guys think they'll have to pay Moss #1 money to keep him. I doubt any team will give him a lot of money.

I compare moss to derrick Mason. A solid number 2 WR that is reliable and gives his all during the game.

Well, I look at it one of two ways...

1) If he demands #1 money, it's a given we shouldn't give it to him

2) If he's going to be your #2, why not give that opportunity to someone on the roster who is younger (Austin, Armstrong, Kelly)?

I don't see the point of locking in to 3-4 more years of a guy who's biggest asset is his speed/quickness when he'll be 32 very soon. That's all.

So, how does this work with currently no salary cap? Does it really matter what we pay him?

With a new CBA there may (or may not be) a salary cap but as of right now, why does it matter?

Edit to add - I don't think we should give him #1 money, and I seriously doubt we or any one will. Just curious.

And I do think he stays. I hope so.

So, how does this work with currently no salary cap? Does it really matter what we pay him?

With a new CBA there may (or may not be) a salary cap but as of right now, why does it matter?

Edit to add - I don't think we should give him #1 money, and I seriously doubt we or any one will. Just curious.

And I do think he stays. I hope so.

Well, I'd say that there will most likely be some sort of cap. But, hypothetically, if there is not a cap, I see two major reasons not to pay him a lot of money to be our #2/3 WR for the next few years:

1) At some point, even without a cap, that money takes away from what you could spend on other players and sets a precedent that you might overpay other incumbents

2) You're letting a 32-year old on a rebuilding team take time and targets away from younger players who may be a part of the future

Well, I look at it one of two ways...

1) If he demands #1 money, it's a given we shouldn't give it to him

2) If he's going to be your #2, why not give that opportunity to someone on the roster who is younger (Austin, Armstrong, Kelly)?

I don't see the point of locking in to 3-4 more years of a guy who's biggest asset is his speed/quickness when he'll be 32 very soon. That's all.

That WR core would be a joke for one, and two who will the number one be?

I don't know yet. But with FA and the draft between now and September, I don't think it's ridiculous to think we could have a better, younger WR corps than we do right now...even without Moss.

We could, but I don't trust any WR but Armstrong (besides Moss) on this team and even with him its kinda shaky sometimes. I don't see why we can't have a younger WR core thats better that includes Moss. If Shanahan stuck with a what 39 year old Galloway? Santana is still producing at a solid amount, he isn't playing like his age which is good...

We could, but I don't trust any WR but Armstrong (besides Moss) on this team and even with him its kinda shaky sometimes. I don't see why we can't have a younger WR core thats better that includes Moss. If Shanahan stuck with a what 39 year old Galloway? Santana is still producing at a solid amount, he isn't playing like his age which is good...

Right...but we've been burned before by falling for guys not playing like their age when we acquire them. They seem to get old very fast. I'll have to be honest here too...part of me (a very big part, in fact) thinks that we really need to cut ties with the old regime of players that were brought in by Gibbs. I would really like to move forward and turn the page from Cooley, Sellers, Portis, Moss, etc. Nothing personal against them individually or anything, but I think they've done what they'll do for this team.

Also, I think it's OK to not have a finished, great WR corps in 2011 unless you believe we'll be knocking on the door. Why not give the younger guys a shot to excel in lead roles during another transition year and then figure out which gaps you have to fill? Moss will be in his mid-30s as a WR who depends on speed and quickness by the time we're making our move toward contending. If he stunts the growth or blocks the acquisition of potential future WRs, how is that a good thing?

If moss demands to much then sign D. Bess, then team him with james jones and draft a WR. Go with Jones,Bess,Armstrong, have Austin,MK, and Draftee's compete for 4th 5th spots.

I'd do something like that no matter what to be perfectly honest. That would give you a 28 year old (Armstrong), a 26 year old (Jones), a 25 year old (Bess), a 24 year old (Kelly), and a 22 year old (Austin). That's a great set of young WRs to grow together in this offense.

i'd still rather have moss' proven talent, and i don't think moss would be any more expensive than those younger FA's you mention.

You might be right...but if I were spending X amount of my cap, I'd rather do it on younger WRs. That's all. I'll grant you that Moss might start the term of the contract as the more effective WR, but at this point I'm more concerned about who would end the term of the contract as the more effective WR.

i'd still rather have moss' proven talent, and i don't think moss would be any more expensive than those younger FA's you mention.

The part you are missing is YOUNGER! I'd rather have a younger same price FA than a OLDER moss who drops balls and occassionally makes a play or 2.

Dude why are you such a hater. You didnt thnk his 2 crucial tds end of 3rd/4th quarter were clutch. What about the "gametieing" td against tampa bay???? I think everyone knows he is not a #1 reciever. But if we cant grab VJax or Larry Fitz we HAVE TO GRAB Moss up. Our team will actually digress w/o a true #1 or even Moss. So why don't you take your talents elsewhere Chief. Enough hating going on from you sir

I'll say it again. I like Moss. I appreciate what he HAS done. The thing is, there's no room for getting sentimental on a losing team. We need to get bigger, younger, and faster at the WR position. This league is moving away from the Moss's and Steve Smith's. It's a bigger man's position now. He's going to be 32 before preseason next year. He's just not going to be able to provide that body position or speed that we need in this offense.

I'm taking my talents to South Beach. :)

Why are you guys talking about Davone Bess? Miami gave him a 3-year extension about a month ago. He ain't going nowhere.

---------- Post added December-29th-2010 at 05:23 PM ----------

If moss demands to much then sign D. Bess, then team him with james jones and draft a WR. Go with Jones,Bess,Armstrong, have Austin,MK, and Draftee's compete for 4th 5th spots.

Oh God. Let the dreaming begin......

Davone Bess just signed an extension. And what makes you think Green Bay will let James Jones walk??? Get real. Moss will be back b/c we are desperate for his services. It's as simple as that.

Why are you guys talking about Davone Bess? Miami gave him a 3-year extension about a month ago. He ain't going nowhere.

---------- Post added December-29th-2010 at 05:23 PM ----------

Oh God. Let the dreaming begin......

Davone Bess just signed an extension. And what makes you think Green Bay will let James Jones walk??? Get real. Moss will be back b/c we are desperate for his services. It's as simple as that.

I can plug in other FA wr's that can easily replace a older moss: lets's see jacoby jones, malcolm floyd,legedu naaee,steve smith (g-men) and mike sims-walker....

And it's not dreaming when we are 40 mil under the cap and have more older vets to cut so it's a realistic scenario imo.

I'd like to snag a decent WR in FA, but I'm seriously tired of trying to win with a group of players who played well for other teams.. they typically don't play well here. Moss, I know came from the Jets.. but has been here a while now. Lets just see what we can do in FA and the draft and hopefully keep Moss, but in a number 2/slot role.

For those who doubt the fact that Santana is still a playmaker in this league need to take a look at the YAC and 1DN stats for this year. Moss leads all WR in YAC with 438 and is 6th in catches for first downs with 57. All but one of the WR that rank higher than Moss in the 1DN category have been named to the 2011 Pro Bowl. Moss has been the only constant threat the skins have had at the WR position in 15 years. In a organization that has had a revolving door at the QB spot and where talented WR dont or cant perform, i.e Brandon Lloyd, Randle el, Moss has been the single bright spot. Here is to six more years of Moss.

HAIL!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingFirstDowns/league/nfc

Archived