Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Appreciation: Santana Terrell Moss

RBClintonPortis

No, it's because he's part of the losing culture here and he's cost us 2 games in the last 4 weeks. Dallas. Giants.

Fumbles, drops, oh my!

Bring him back dirt cheap as a #3, or let him walk. Get rid of this idea that he's some game changer. He isn't, well, at least for us. Now the opposing team, yes. They appreciate the gifts.

No, it's because he's part of the losing culture here and he's cost us 2 games in the last 4 weeks. Dallas. Giants.

Fumbles, drops, oh my!

Bring him back dirt cheap as a #3, or let him walk. Get rid of this idea that he's some game changer. He isn't, well, at least for us. Now the opposing team, yes. They appreciate the gifts.

yeah. he, as an individual, cost us those games. i can't believe how foolish you sound. moss has made a ton of plays for the skins and has always been a consistently good player. he has drops. he has fumbles. every guy does. he has given a lot to this franchise and has put up great numbers. to even consider letting him go is a joke. and bring him back as a number 3? is that hangover from new years talking? all this hoopla about a 'legitimate number 1'. it's bs really. just because he's not 6'4 doesn't mean he isn't a number one receiver. he's the guy teams double cover. he puts up 1000 yards a season. he's been our most targeted receiver since he's been here. what else qualifies a number one?

ridiculous.

You have to keep stats in perspective. The Redskins have trailed in most games this year. There was also a good stretch earlier where we couldn't run the ball at all. When you throw alot you're gonna have more receptions, etc

He's had a decent year. But he's not close to being one of the best WR's in the NFL, as you're trying to make it sound. He's not a true #1. He's also cost us several games this year. Its time to cut ties with him and Portis.

But you're implying that he caught most of his balls late in games, which is debatable that he caught any more late than anyone else. And I'm going to guess there isn't a stat for to verify that. And when a WR has high reception totals, that must mean the team can't run? Roddy White led the league in receptions and they ran the ball all the time. So did Houston and Andre Johnson was on par with Moss in terms of receptions relative to targets and Houston had the league's leading rusher. Now, I'm not saying Moss is in their league in general, just that your premise is flawed.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2011 at 10:17 AM ----------

I don't think you should fault Moss for not being a #1. That's not his fault, that's the team's fault. Rather than get rid of Moss for not being what he's not supposed to be, how about they get a #1 and use Moss properly? The fact is, the man's highly productive in a role he shouldn't be in.

dude is fourth in the entire NFL in receptions. somewhere in the top ten in yardage and YAC. and it's not like he has brees/manning/brady throwing it to him. he puts up these kinds of numbers year in and year out. it is absurd that people think we can find that kind of talent easily. honestly, he's one of the most underrated players in the league if you look at his stats.

Exactly. I don't get why some folks want him gone so badly...

Even if our WRs weren't terrible (they are) Moss is too good to let go anywhere.

He's miscast as a #1 WR. Pair him with a Sidney Rice and allow Armstrong to man the slot and our WR core would be pretty exciting. Santana hasn't been perfect but NO player has been. Cooley with drops. Trent Williams with the matador. Torain with the fumbles and injuries.

But to say Moss is THE reason for our struggling is ridiculous. He actually gives a damn about winning, wants to win here, and is still performing at a high level even with the QB/offensive struggles.

Big love to Santana.

dude is fourth in the entire NFL in receptions. somewhere in the top ten in yardage and YAC. and it's not like he has brees/manning/brady throwing it to him. he puts up these kinds of numbers year in and year out.

Actually, he's put up "these kinds of numbers" one other time in his career...5 years ago. He caught 93 passes this year (a career high) and averaged 12 yard per catch. Is 1,100 yards really top-ten? I'm not saying it's not, I'm just surprised that it is. He's solid, no doubt, but do we really need to pay him to come back and put up possession receiver numbers? Nothing against Moss, but at his age, I'm not convinced that another "good" WR couldn't match his production. Very rarely did he catch the ball and do anything special with it. He generally caught short passes and ran to open field until he was contacted...occasionally catching a deep pass. Let's not also forget that he lost a couple fumbles and put an INT right into a LB's hands this year. So, 6 TDs and 3 TOs.

it is absurd that people think we can find that kind of talent easily. honestly, he's one of the most underrated players in the league if you look at his stats. he'll be relatively cheap for the amount of production he brings. with him, plus armstrong (who is maturing nicely) and maybe malcolm kelly or austin, we would be in good shape to use draft picks and FA money on the myriad holes elsewhere on the roster.

If he's cheap (signable for #3 WR money) then I'm OK with bringing him back. If he's looking for one last pay-day (which I would be if I were 32 and relying on speed and quickness), then I think we have to let him walk.

I'm really not anti-Moss, I just think this is a classic case of Redskin fans overvaluing one of our players. He's solid/good, no doubt. But if the price isn't right, I think we have to turn the page. And, to me, we should be allowing Armstrong, Austin, and Kelly the opportunity to take over the WR position since they all have 5-6+ years ahead of them.

We basically have no WR core right now.

Armstrong and Malcolm Kelly. Banks probably will stick to special teams and if Austin's not going to be our returner then I don't see a spot for him.

It makes no sense to let Santana walk, but I think we may have seen the last of him in Washington. I think another team would love to have him.

We should go all or nothing with the position. Land VJax or draft an AJ Green type. Other then those moves I hope we look around at the talent available around the league and let the position work itself out. Just because Galloway and Williams didn't work out doesn't mean we can't find a cheap starter in FA. Lots of talent out there.

I could see our WR core be like this next year:

Armstrong

FA: Mark Clayton/Jacoby Jones//Sims-Walker.... etc

Kelly

Rookie/Soph: Austin or a rookie

Banks

As sad as that looks on paper, our track record with WRs has been pretty crappy. WR moves scare me. Wouldn't be surprised to see another 2nd round pick bust or a FA like Brayon Edwards be another huge mistake.

Archived