Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Kyle Shanahan and McNabb have sit-down

HapHaszard

Oh, NOW they have a sit down. Sounds like something that should've happened before just now.

---------- Post added December-24th-2010 at 05:52 PM ----------

Anyone else notice a pattern with McNabb? Am I crazy or does stupid **** like this happen to HIM all the time. I find it hard to believe it's in spite of him. I seem to remember something with a sideline reporter a couple years back. Not to mention his benching in Philly. Ever since Kyle started coaching in this league I've never heard of any incidence like this between him and a QB. But now McNabb is the victim once again.

I must admit, stuff always seems to happen TO him, but never BECAUSE of him. Probably cuz he keeps his mouth shut and lets everyone else stick their feet in theirs.

Oh, NOW they have a sit down. Sounds like something that should've happened before just now.

---------- Post added December-24th-2010 at 05:52 PM ----------

I must admit, stuff always seems to happen TO him, but never BECAUSE of him. Probably cuz he keeps his mouth shut and lets everyone else stick their feet in theirs.

Or maybe he just spouts off behind everyone's back. That's the sure way to get people to mistrust you while becoming the martyr.

Or maybe he just spouts off behind everyone's back. That's the sure way to get people to mistrust you while becoming the martyr.

This seems to have been his MO in Philly, too. "Sources close to McNabb" would say one thing and then McNabb would go the podium with a big grin and deny all of it and play his "I'm just a really classy martyr. Did I mention how professional and classy I am. Can you get over how classy I am?"

Seems he's a perfect fit for Washington, just not for the Redskins.

This seems to have been his MO in Philly, too. "Sources close to McNabb" would say one thing and then McNabb would go the podium with a big grin and deny all of it and play his "I'm just a really classy martyr. Did I mention how professional and classy I am. Can you get over how classy I am?"

Seems he's a perfect fit for Washington, just not for the Redskins.

Agreed, I really hate seeing it get to this point with him because I've always liked him. But his credibility has taken a major hit in my eyes because he just doesn't seem genuine. It even makes sense now why so many players had TO's back when he and Donovan had their little rift. I remember seeing something about that, and a few players (along with media members) suggested that McNabb had a bigger role than he let on in provoking the issue, and really should have shouldered more blame than was bestowed upon him. Initially I blew it off as TO's defenders (knowing that TO has had run-ins before), but after seeing how this situation has come about it seems that he is good at hiding under his smile and making others take the fall for his shortcomings.

I'd like to see McNabb stay. Not because I think either he or Rex is going to take us anywhere but because somewhere in the near future we are going to draft a new QB. And I'd rather have McNabb training him then Grossman.

Why? IF Grossman understands how to run this offense better than mcnabb, it would stem to reason he would be a better teacher....or not. Players dont always make good mentors, and I dont trust mcnabb.

yeah, he has done nothing, thats true. but what would you expect him to do with absolutely NO PROTECTION at all from our piss-poor offensive line and not many wide recievers to throw to? mike shanahan could sign tom brady to a 5 year deal here and with the offensive line we have, even he wouldnt put up the numbers he puts up in new england.

Winner Winner. Chicken Dinner.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/24/AR2010122402804.html

Kyle Shanahan met with McNabb on Thursday evening regarding the statement issued by Fletcher Smith III, which claimed "tension between Donovan and Kyle" and accused the Shanahans of making this "an extremely difficult relationship to maintain." In that meeting, Kyle Shanahan said, McNabb distanced himself from his agent's words.

"I called Donovan on the phone, mentioned I wanted to have a conversation with him to find out what this was all about," Kyle Shanahan said Friday. "And when I talked to Donovan, he said he didn't say any of that. I'm like, 'Well, yeah, your agent did, which to me is you.' And he said he didn't agree with any of that, those words didn't come out of his mouth, he didn't tell his agent that stuff. So all I can go off is what Donovan tells me."

In an e-mail, Smith wrote: "Donovan and I talk constantly and have done so with more frequency during this season. We are absolutely on the same page. I stand by my statement and will reserve any further comments until after I have had a chance to speak, directly, with [Head Coach Mike] Shanahan."
"Obviously some people getting leaks out, I think that happens everywhere, but to think that coaches would do that when it only hurts the coaches is entertaining," he said. "But all we can do is worry about ourselves and worry about this team. We know that rumors happen, and hopefully guys don't pay attention to 'em.

"People are gonna do that, try to break people apart. That's why you've got to do things face to face, man to man, and clear things out with each other if you've got a problem. And when I've done that and the guy tells me he has no problem, and never has, then that's what you've got to go off of, the guy's word."

Kyle Shanahan said he sits in meetings with McNabb for up to four hours a day and frequently eats meals with him, including one Thursday, shortly before the agent's fiery release was sent to media members. He said he asked McNabb directly Thursday evening whether there were any problems they needed to discuss, and that McNabb said: "No, not at all. We've always been good."

Kyle Shanahan said there was "zero" truth to Smith's claim that the coordinator pledged never again to play McNabb after a Dec. 12 loss to Tampa Bay. He also rejected Smith's claim of tension stemming from McNabb's suggested modifications to the team's offense, including an increased use of screen passes. Smith said the Redskins ended up implementing such changes last week, after McNabb was benched.

"That quote was almost - I mean, it was entertaining," Shanahan said. "Asking Donovan about that, he nor I remember that conversation. To hear that we had a different offense for Rex is a joke. We ran six screens versus Dallas. We've ran five or six screens in every game since our bye week, so I really have no idea what he's talking about, and it's completely inaccurate."

I would say that the Eagles have a much better track record of discarding their players that are old and broken and replacing them with younger better performers than the Skins. Therefore they made the right call in releasing McNabb and we made the wrong move by getting him and then not tailoring the offense to his strengths.

So who do you hate more Jeremiah Trotter or McNabb?

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say. Did you read the post I was responding to? Care to elaborate on your response?

Yes.

Saying Shannahan has done "nothing" and suggesting he should be thrown under the bus is absolutely ridiculous. He's done A LOT. The locker room is different. He let Al expose himself for the idiot he is. Last weeks offense looked like something I haven't seen in years. And it's only the first year of many.

You're just looking at the W-L column, and I'm sorry to say there's N O T H I N G any coach could do to make this team a contender in ONE year. People REALLY need to start remembering just how badly Vinny destroyed this team over the last decade.

"throw him under the bus" what are you saying? Fire him? Or you just want him to sit the corner for 10 minutes? Shanny is the BOSS. The boss should get respect. He knows WAY better than you or anyone else. I heard Wilbon say they should fire him. Utterly stupid thing to say. People bash us for changing coaches so often, and a writer for the Washington Post actually wants us to get another one already. It is really, really, really, really stupid. It's mind-numbingly stupid.

McNabb failed to run this offense. That was his job. He failed. Bye-bye. Shanny is his employer. He is NOT equally accountable for McNabbs failure. Not at all, I'm so sick of people suggesting that. Those people do not understand the boss/employee relationship.

Just everyone shut up and let Shanny rebuild this team for god's sake.

Merry Christmas ;)

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. It's starting to feel like McNabb is on the way out. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks might be in play here. Heard it said tonight that no Super Bowl winning coach has ever won it again for another team.

Both McNabb and the Shanahans would do well to remember that the finger can point both ways. Bottom line is if these guys can't get along it becomes a drag on the team that needs to be dealt with asap so the rest of the team can move forward focused on getting some wins.

The constant controversy swirling around these Redskins is starting to get old.

Heard it said tonight that no Super Bowl winning coach has ever won it again for another team.

That statistic is pretty meaningless.

You have a limited number of Super Bowl winning coaches who have coached multiple teams.

And of all the coaches to ever coach in the NFL. MOST never win a Super Bowl.

Winning a Super Bowl isn't easy. It takes a helluva lot more going your way than coaching. Championships are won by complete franchises, not great coaching.

yeah, he has done nothing, thats true. but what would you expect him to do with absolutely NO PROTECTION at all from our piss-poor offensive line and not many wide recievers to throw to? mike shanahan could sign tom brady to a 5 year deal here and with the offensive line we have, even he wouldnt put up the numbers he puts up in new england.
That argument doesn't work anymore, since Rex Grossman had the game of his life with the same surrounding cast.

I heard Wilbon say they should fire him. Utterly stupid thing to say. People bash us for changing coaches so often, and a writer for the Washington Post actually wants us to get another one already. It is really, really, really, really stupid. It's mind-numbingly stupid.

I agreed with the rest of your post, but this part of your quote I wanted to address. Nobody should be surprised that some in the media are calling for Shanahan's job, especially Wilbon. First off, he's not a fan of the Redskins, so he has no interest in seeing the frachise succeed.

A dysfunctional losing frachise, that is in a constant state of turmoil is far more valuable to the media. When everything is going well, there is far less to write about.

I think many in the media, and especially the fans of the other teams, (Cowboys), are very afraid that this team is really getting it's **** together. They are afraid of what Shanahan is doing in Washington. Changing the culture.

I haven't heard my Cowboy fan family members talk this much trash at Christmas in years. My sister-in-law's husband, who is a Cowboys fan called Shanahan a "tyrant" yesterday.

I said I know, ain't it great? :D

Ya know, it doesn't really matter and who gives a crap if they have a sit down, McNabb is gone. By the way Wilbon is Bios, and not a Redskins fan. I could care less what he says. Absolutely no respect for him or kornhieser they both are more concern about themselves (in love with their opinions) and their boring show. I just wonder now that Dallas had a stupid blunder with their game and the KICKER screwed up are the BIOS ESPN and NFL networks going to run it 24/7 for 3 days saying how they can't get anything right, there so dysfunctional!

That statistic is pretty meaningless.

You have a limited number of Super Bowl winning coaches who have coached multiple teams.

And of all the coaches to ever coach in the NFL. MOST never win a Super Bowl.

Winning a Super Bowl isn't easy. It takes a helluva lot more going your way than coaching. Championships are won by complete franchises, not great coaching.

Yeah, it's pretty effing dumb to keep hearing.

There have been 44 Super Bowls. In my cough medicine-tainted haze, Gibbs has three. Noll has four. Belichick has three. Lombardi has two. There, I've taken away, over 44 years, more than a quarter of all Super Bowls.

To counter a stupid argument with another stupid argument, we've had TWO coaches who have gone to the Super Bowl with two different teams in Holmgren and Parcells.

To say that it's impossible because of a lack of precedent, when your sample size is so small, just reeks of an inability to form a logical argument. I hope that people stop re-hashing this.

McNabb didn't have a bad year all by himself. How many games did our defense give up huge chunks of yards that lead to a loss? How many times did we forget to run the ball? How many times was he sacked because the o line looked pathetic and played that way as well? Over the years the fans and this team have looked for a scapegoat every year we fail to win most of our games. The truth is that McNabb is taking the heat for Kyle, his own bad play, bad WR play, Bad Defensive play, Poor special teams etc... Did McNabb let the ancient wonder Brett Favre RUN for a first down and win the game? McNabb was a probowler last year and this year he has struggled with new team mates that at times look lost and as if they don't care...example Cooley...he misses a pass or fumbles he looks like ehh who cares we are the SKINS.....Blame the entire team and not one guy!!! If we think that a rookie QB is going to be any better behind this terrible o line then we are crazy. He will get beat down and his potential will fade with every missed block that leads to a huge hit on him or a sack. Why say give Shannahasbeen a chance but you are all ready to thow McNabb out of town? Most of you blame snyder for changing things too quickly but he is just like the rest of you "fans" that jump ship when things don't go well...

---------- Post added December-26th-2010 at 07:52 AM ----------

Can you really believe anything that comes out of Kyle or his dad's mouths?

McNabb didn't have a bad year all by himself. How many games did our defense give up huge chunks of yards that lead to a loss? How many times did we forget to run the ball? How many times was he sacked because the o line looked pathetic and played that way as well? Over the years the fans and this team have looked for a scapegoat every year we fail to win most of our games. The truth is that McNabb is taking the heat for Kyle, his own bad play, bad WR play, Bad Defensive play, Poor special teams etc... Did McNabb let the ancient wonder Brett Favre RUN for a first down and win the game? McNabb was a probowler last year and this year he has struggled with new team mates that at times look lost and as if they don't care...example Cooley...he misses a pass or fumbles he looks like ehh who cares we are the SKINS.....Blame the entire team and not one guy!!! If we think that a rookie QB is going to be any better behind this terrible o line then we are crazy. He will get beat down and his potential will fade with every missed block that leads to a huge hit on him or a sack. Why say give Shannahasbeen a chance but you are all ready to thow McNabb out of town? Most of you blame snyder for changing things too quickly but he is just like the rest of you "fans" that jump ship when things don't go well...

---------- Post added December-26th-2010 at 07:52 AM ----------

Can you really believe anything that comes out of Kyle or his dad's mouths?

Hey man, welcome to the board.

If you split up your posts, then they're a LOT easier to read.

Nobody is saying that McNabb lost all of the games by himself, but he didn't do much, either. I'm a big McNabb guy, I've always liked him ever since the Eagles fans booed him in 1999 (enemy of my enemy is my friend), but he just doesn't work here. It's that simple.

@chipwhich

@NewCliche21

But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good rant? Sheesh.....

Spurrier, Zorn, Schotty, and Gibbs II never won a Super Bowl. Norv Turner has never won a Super Bowl as head coach.

What exactly is your point? What factoid do we need to get :) Now keep on ranting your bad self.

Campbell had decent numbers to this point last year but let's not forget that he had many games where he was playing against a prevent defense. Playing against a prevent can make bland numbers after three quarters look very good by the end of the game. about 6 or 7 of Campbell's TDs were late 4th qtr TDs against a prevent.

---------- Post added December-26th-2010 at 12:37 PM ----------

I would say that the Eagles have a much better track record of discarding their players that are old and broken and replacing them with younger better performers than the Skins. Therefore they made the right call in releasing McNabb and we made the wrong move by getting him and then not tailoring the offense to his strengths.

So who do you hate more Jeremiah Trotter or McNabb?

Agreed. They have an excellent system. This team looks nothing like they did 7 years ago yet keep winning every year.

Archived