Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Coaches Press Conference on 980 " If Gano is healthy he will be our kicker this week" Updated LL to IR

graffjd

I know this will not be a popular decision on this board for many but Coach just said he will have kickers in this week for tryouts in case Gano cant kick this week. Said his ribs were sore. However he said if he can kick this week he will be our kicker. So he wont be cut!

Didn't Laron just say that he would be back this season "for sure." And that he might even go against the Bucs this last weekend?

I am sure he could play and he probably wants to.

But the season is over. Any smart team in the NFL would shut down their franchise player in this situation. There is no point in risking it. Especially an injury like his where the risk is missing all of next season.

Injured his ribs getting tackled during failed XP, if you remember he did not attempt the Onsides kick after the TD.

Gano stated during his interview on Sunday with KJ that he initially hurt his ribs against Detroit and just reaggrevated them during the extra point attempt.

If we were actually in contention for a playoff spot, I say cut him now. But there's nothing left for this team to play for except to see who's gonna stick around next year. That said, if he's healthy play him. If he continues to screw up, we know we need a kicker.

Gano is our kicker the rest of the season. During the off season we can bring in some competition, but you have to let a promising young kicker continue to get experience and work things out.

And, what does it matter anyway.

Exactly-

We have given up on kickers in the past.

Let the guy stay around, get his head in order.

Like someone said, its like golfers, you get the shanks and it really messes with your mind.

At least Gano had the sense to try and get the ball and do something with it. Too bad it wouldn't have mattered the d was all over that bobble.

I was going to mention that.. While Gano at least went after it like it mattered, the dumbass who let the snap go through his hands just up and jogged back toward the ball like it was no big deal.. I dont see any reason to cut Gano now either.. Seasons over.. I think you can workout kicker after kicker and they'll all look good w/o a serious rush or game speed to mess with them. It's how they do when actual points matter is how you tell if they're worth a crap or not.. I dont know what's gotten into Gano's head, but ever since the "ice" make/miss of the last second 51 yarder against the Texans, he's not been the same.. But yesterday was the first time I recall him outright shanking the ball like that.. Most of his misses have been just left or just right, or short.. Those PAT distance shanks were concerning.. Maybe he gets over it, maybe not.. As long as he's a Redskin he'll probably struggle, like everyone else that wears B&G..

Archived