Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Perhaps Overlooked; The Play of NT Anthony Bryant

CRobi21

Well, he's 31.

Isn't that pretty old for an NT?

Its gotta be the worst position to play in terms of the damage that it'll do to a player.

Ted Washington was like 100 when he finally retired. I think NT is a position that can be played a long time if the player can avoid injury. The biggest requirement is to be big so that doesn't really drop off with age.

Ted Washington was like 100 when he finally retired. I think NT is a position that can be played a long time if the player can avoid injury. The biggest requirement is to be big so that doesn't really drop off with age.

Well he hasn't exactly been injury free.

We'll see, I'm not familiar with his career outside of DC at all so I don't know how effective of a player he was before.

Thanks for bringing this up. I am happy to see fans looking for the positive. We did a lot of good things this game, which hopefully do not get lost in our abysmal field goal unit costing us the game.

Our front seven as a whole had a great game. I was impressed. They were blowing up blocks, rushing the passer, shutting down running lanes, etc. Nice job by those guys.

Maybe Bryant was a key part of the improvement. It sounds like the coaches are giving the guy a chance and he is taking advantage of it. Good stuff.

Apparently he's had a concussion. So that would explain it.

I view it as a mistake that Bryant wasn't on the field more often.

Concussions don't last from preseason to week 14.

EDIT:

BTW-When i say i think its a mistake, i think all teams makes mistakes.

The staff making a mistake doesn't mean they'rea failure.

Many on this forum seems to think that if you're critical of the staff you don't support the staff.

Just want to clarify they're gonna makes mistakes like every team does, but i still support them.

I view it as a mistake that Bryant wasn't on the field more often.

Concussions don't last from preseason to week 14.

EDIT:

BTW-When i say i think its a mistake, i think all teams makes mistakes.

The staff making a mistake doesn't mean they'rea failure.

Many on this forum seems to think that if you're critical of the staff you don't support the staff.

Just want to clarify they're gonna makes mistakes like every team does, but i still support them.

Concussion effects can last a good long while. Ask Clinton Portis. There’s no definite timeframe on when one is able to come back to play. Every one's different. Some guys come back in a week, some guys never come back. It’s not like a broken bone where you can pencil in 4-6 weeks.

Achilles' injuries are notoriously hard to come back from....that's why they're being so careful with LL. It can change a career.

Good to know, thanks TK.

Should be interesting to see Kemo next year, fully (hopefully) recovered and with a year in the defense already.

Although, hopefully there's a better NT here that he can fight with over the position....or even Bryant, a year more mature, and with some starting experience.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out...but it will be a big storyline to watch in the offseason.

Achilles' injuries are typically a 2 year recovery period. Especially in the NFL. Currently,

Kemo is what Smoot would call one of those fat boys up front. :ols:

Let's see what happens in the offseason as this team has plenty of holes to fill on both sides of the ball. You're not going to get all the pieces in one year, but with a foundation already established, maybe we can fill enough to be a lot more competitive next year. This team is still at least 2-3 years away from being able to be upper echelon.

Achilles' injuries are typically a 2 year recovery period. Especially in the NFL. Currently,

Kemo is what Smoot would call one of those fat boys up front. :ols:

Let's see what happens in the offseason as this team has plenty of holes to fill on both sides of the ball. You're not going to get all the pieces in one year, but with a foundation already established, maybe we can fill enough to be a lot more competitive next year. This team is still at least 2-3 years away from being able to be upper echelon.

TK,

Let's hope the team plans on doing this through the following:

1) Beefing up scouting

2) Stockpiling draft picks and drafting young talent

3) Jettisoning all the old talent on this team ("blowing it up")

Anything short of the above, and we'll be just fixing the problem with band-aids like we've been doing for the last decade.

I would wager Kemo's not all the way back. He's either lacking lower body strength or confidence in his legs and over compensated with upper body and injured his shoulder. He's more or less useless right now. :ols: Too bad we couldn't keep Griff around. He would have been a nice rotation guy instead of Holiday.

I can't imagine being a NT and having to worry about coming off a torn achilles. The stress that a NT has to put on it every single play, with his own weight, let alone trying to tie up one or two 300lb offensive linemen. We give Kemo a hard time as fans, but it was probably too much to expect that he'd be ready this year.

Concussion effects can last a good long while. Ask Clinton Portis. There’s no definite timeframe on when one is able to come back to play. Every one's different. Some guys come back in a week, some guys never come back. It’s not like a broken bone where you can pencil in 4-6 weeks.

Do you honestly think he had a 14+ week concussion?

Do you honestly think he had a 14+ week concussion?

I don't know what he had. I'm not going to pretend to assess a man's concussion effects or concussion history. However, if they didn't put him on IR, it's not unreasonable to think he was probably cleared to play before now. I'd prefer to believe he was concussed rather than think the coaches didn't think he was better than Kemo. But with this coaching stuff, nothing's out of the realm of possibility.

Kemo's not all the way back. He won't be for another year. Look for Bryant to get the start from here on out .

That should be fun to watch actually. I enjoy seeing younger players like Bryant, Montgomery, Torain, and Paulsen do well at the end of the year. I hope that the staff is finding players who can serve a role on this team moving forward. Obviously, not everyone who does well in 2010 is going to start in the future, but we could use some young depth too...I like watching this process actually.

• 3 weeks later...
i usually hate when people bump threads saying "i told you so."

but uhhh. i told ya so! hell of a game by big anthony bryant tonight.

dude you are so right....bryant is a monster...he was everywhere tonight...he got up and down the line to stop bradshaw and jacobs multiple times on off tackle runs....very impressed....hopefullly it pans out to be our starting NT

Every time they showed the replay I saw # 76 Anthony Bryant taking on double teams and still getting penetration... And hopefully we can add one more to Shanahan's "Keep" list for next season.

I think Bryant is a keeper. I'm unexpectedly impressed with his play over the last few weeks.

He was all over the field today!

Bryant clearly had been paying better than Kemo with his opportunity. Thats not really saying a whole lot so I went back and rewatched the Jaguars game, Bryan specifically . I thought he was pretty solid. I went into this game focusing on Bryant again, defensively, Definitely his best game, I think we have an unexpected piece to build around. Grossman looked good enough to alleviate some of my for next season as well, I had been waiting for him to throw up one of those single digit rating games.

Archived