Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Perhaps Overlooked; The Play of NT Anthony Bryant

CRobi21

With the playoffs pretty much out of sight, Shanahan will basically go back to preseason mode with these final 4 games. What I mean by that is he will be looking for players he will want on his team for the future. The change to the 3-4 defense has been much criticized on here since week 1, but we've started to see a little improvement since the Monday Night Massacre the Eagles put on us.

As most of you know, the 3-4 is non-effective without a very good NT who can eat up blockers. Kemo has been starting for us all year, but recently I've started to see big # 76 make his way out onto the field, most noticeably this week against the Bucs.

I remember Moose calling our game against the Giants and really getting on Kemo for not being able to take up blockers, constantly being out of position, and not being able to make plays. This is week I didn't hear much of that; and that's because Kemo wasn't on the field that much from what I saw. What you did hear Moose commenting on is Blount having to move side to side in the backfield as opposed to getting downhill, where he is much more effective.

Every time they showed the replay I saw # 76 Anthony Bryant taking on double teams and still getting penetration. I'm not saying that we've found our Haloti Ngata or anything like that, but in my eyes Bryant has earned the starting spot ahead of Kemo, and it will be fun to watch how much he progresses the next few games. And hopefully we can add one more to Shanahan's "Keep" list for next season.

I have no idea why Bryant hasn't been playing much until now. I thought he looked like our best NT through preseason and I know a lot of other ES posters, like ConnSKIN26 above, were echoing the same. Since then the only consistency I've seen at the nose tackle position is Kemo consistently getting blown off the ball.

Thank you for bringing this up. I completely agree I remember against the Texans he was active and played a little bit and everytime he came in for Kemo he was stopping or slowing down Arian Foster where as when Kemo was in they were gashing us. The same thing was true today, I was pointing it out to my friend. I said everytime 76 is in we slow the run getting little to no room, but when 96 comes back in they get those 5+ yd runs.

Hey, STBonecrusher, been a while since you started a thread. At least it feels like that. :)

Anyway, great point. I don't want to say much more than that because I only watched the game once, but I was impressed with him. I want to see what I find after focusing in on him more.

Bryant had a concussion earlier in the year and kemo/golston/daniels/holliday shared his reps until recently.

That sounds right. I thought he was injured, but couldn't recall what it was. Hopefully he'll get more and more snaps as the season finishes up, so we can get a better feel for him.

Agree. Kemo gets blown off the ball by shrimps. Bryant is not dynamic, but seems more planted. I wonder if our D wouldn't have been significantly better against the run all year, had he been seeing starter's time.

Not sure why Kemo has been so ineffective. He seemed to be much more reliable prior to his big injury in Carolina... maybe he's still not all the way back?

Agree. Kemo gets blown off the ball by shrimps. Bryant is not dynamic, but seems more planted. I wonder if our D wouldn't have been significantly better against the run all year, had he been seeing starter's time.

Not sure why Kemo has been so ineffective. He seemed to be much more reliable prior to his big injury in Carolina... maybe he's still not all the way back?

I would wager Kemo's not all the way back. He's either lacking lower body strength or confidence in his legs and over compensated with upper body and injured his shoulder. He's more or less useless right now. :ols: Too bad we couldn't keep Griff around. He would have been a nice rotation guy instead of Holiday.

Achilles' injuries are notoriously hard to come back from....that's why they're being so careful with LL. It can change a career.

---------- Post added December-12th-2010 at 11:14 PM ----------

Kemo's not all the way back. He won't be for another year. Look for Bryant to get the start from here on out .

Good to know, thanks TK.

Should be interesting to see Kemo next year, fully (hopefully) recovered and with a year in the defense already.

Although, hopefully there's a better NT here that he can fight with over the position....or even Bryant, a year more mature, and with some starting experience.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out...but it will be a big storyline to watch in the offseason.

Every time they showed the replay I saw # 76 Anthony Bryant taking on double teams and still getting penetration. I'm not saying that we've found our Haloti Ngata or anything like that, but in my eyes Bryant has earned the starting spot ahead of Kemo, and it will be fun to watch how much he progresses the next few games. And hopefully we can add one more to Shanahan's "Keep" list for next season.

I agree Bryant looked solid.

He looked like the only capable NT on the team during preseason, so I'm not surprised. I'm glad he's earning the trust of the coaches, because if he even proves to be an effective rotational NT, that would be HUGE.

Makes you wonder about some of the decisions was Bryant a flash in the pan for this game or another mistakes (by not play more sooner) by the staff?

Kemo's not all the way back. He won't be for another year. Look for Bryant to get the start from here on out .

Thanks for the info, TK, as usual. May I ask, are the coaches confident Kemo will be a different player next season, and it was all totally due to an injury that takes time to come back from? I mean, I've totally seen an improvement from him over the course of the season (he was just awful the first 5-6 games I believe), but it hasn't been that significant... so I guess what I'm asking is are they confident he hasn't hit his ceiling at all?

If he can play that way against the Cowboys and the Gnats, then I'll buy some stock in the guy. I'm not too sold on the Bucs O-line as a good barometer of D-line play.

Im with you.. Im not giving much credit to the Bucs lines on either side of the ball for that matter.. Lets see us run on Dallas, and stop their O and I'll admit the D has improved.. I really think it only matters what our O does. We held Tampa to 17 points because we only had 10.. If we'd of somehow scored 20, I have a feeling we'd of given up 21, and so on..

Archived