Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is anyone else following the Wikileaks "hacktivism" that took out MasterCard and Visa today?

Hubbs

Both websites have been shut down repeatedly today, because they were, um, "convinced" to stop allowing payments to the Wikileaks defense donation fund. (They reportedly do allow payments to the KKK, however.) PayPal was "convinced" to freeze donations going through its system, but the hacktivists (as they call themselves) "un-convinced" PP pretty damn quickly. Palin's website has been attacked, too. They've been reporting their activities at a very rapid pace via the Twitter username @AnonOperation, but Twitter was, erm, "convinced" to shut down that account, so they've moved to @AnonOpsNet. Some are also using @Op_Payback. At least one outlet called it the "first all-out cyber war," and I'm beginning to think that might be accurate. It's fascinating as hell to watch.

I hear you have to use two layers of tinfoil, with a layer of bubble wrap between them, now.

Huh? The government's openly stated that it's been approaching businesses that have some form of connection to Wikileaks and telling them to sever whatever the connection is.

Huh? The government's openly stated that it's been approaching businesses that have some form of connection to Wikileaks and telling them to sever whatever the connection is.

And I don't have problem with this, they are publishing secrets that could harm this country's ability to conduct its business and should be dealt with as harshly as possible within the limits of the law. Now it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Manning and Assange had a fatal woodchipper accident, one can only hope.

And I don't have problem with this, they are publishing secrets that could harm this country's ability to conduct its business and should be dealt with as harshly as possible within the limits of the law. Now it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Manning and Assange had a fatal woodchipper accident, one can only hope.

Our laws don't apply to an Australian who's running a site on Swedish servers.

Our laws don't apply to an Australian who's running a site on Swedish servers.

1) Our laws absolutely do apply to people committing espionage against the US Government.

2) Really? Us laws don't apply overseas? Our interrogators will be relieved to hear that.

Is it true that this Australian guy has it setup so that if he doesn't use a certain terminal to enter a unique code, all the shifty files dealing with the banks scandals will be released? Thus, if anyone were to keep him in prison for a certain period of time, he has a network of people that will see to it that info gets out to the media that no bank would ever want released.

Is it true that this Australian guy has it setup so that if he doesn't use a certain terminal to enter a unique code, all the shifty files dealing with the banks scandals will be released? Thus, if anyone were to keep him in prison for a certain period of time, he has a network of people that will see to it that info gets out to the media that no bank would ever want released.

haha, sounds a lot like the plot from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

:ols:

my boss mentioned it to me today and I've made no effort to verify it.

In Splinter Cell, a terrorist has spread a bunch of small-pox bombs around the United States and calls in on an encrypted line to those carrying the bombs to delay the detonation another day. Should he be killed or detained, the bombs will be set off causing the small-pox virus to spread. Quite an ingenious idea, though.

Hmm...

LOST_Bootskin___Numbers___by_AJUST.png

this whole wikileaks thing seems more and more like a beautifully orchestrated controlled leak.
To whose benefit? Why do it a month after the elections? If this is all orchestrated, it is poorly orchestrated.

What baffles me is why there is so much focus on this Assange guy and so little focus on finding out who actually leaked the documents. We shouldn't be trying to punish Assange and shutting down Wikileaks servers, we should be serving subpoenas and search warrants to find out who provided Wikileaks with its information. If the data was on Amazon.com servers, the FBI should have seized those computers and searched them for evidence.

And if we want to put Assange in jail for something, why not convene a grand jury to investigate the leaks, force him to answer questions under oath, and if he refuses to reveal his sources, throw him in jail for contempt. The government's reaction to all of this has definitely been strange.

They are not US citizens so they have broken no US laws. What is the difference in them publishing this stuff VS the TImes publishing the pentagon papers. Would you be OK with them publishing Iran and N Korean secrets

If you are looking for the law breaker then find the one who leaked it

4chan.org

a bunch of silly kids who think they can deprive others of their rights. Their attacks are mostly floods

Didnt you know that now it's always considered a conspiracy theory even when its no longer a theory? As long as its OK with the establishment hacks in power and their lemming supporters, in the name of "security", its Ok to break whatever laws that protect individual liberty carte blanche.

To whose benefit? Why do it a month after the elections? If this is all orchestrated, it is poorly orchestrated.

What baffles me is why there is so much focus on this Assange guy and so little focus on finding out who actually leaked the documents. We shouldn't be trying to punish Assange and shutting down Wikileaks servers, we should be serving subpoenas and search warrants to find out who provided Wikileaks with its information. If the data was on Amazon.com servers, the FBI should have seized those computers and searched them for evidence.

And if we want to put Assange in jail for something, why not convene a grand jury to investigate the leaks, force him to answer questions under oath, and if he refuses to reveal his sources, throw him in jail for contempt. The government's reaction to all of this has definitely been strange.

Best post yet. I totally agree they should focus on the source of the leaks. If he were a U.S citizen using a server in the States why wouldn't he be protected by the first amendment? It isn't like he spied on the U.S, he just released information someone leaked to him. Happens everyday in the press. By no means do I think it was a good thing that this has happened however it looks like sour grapes on the part of the U.S government because they have allot of damage control to do to do around the world diplomatically.

Archived