Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "NFC West" Rule

Drew_Fl

The problem is, the NFC West is not really a "division" lol :ols:...nobody wins the NFC West, they just are deemed to be the team that stunk the least.

It would be hard to argue but could'nt you just say all the teams were so good that they just beat up on each other and the best team won? , uh nah.

Last year Brett Favre didnt get the ball in overtime, and now we have ****ing COLLEGE OVERTIME in the PLAYOFFS. BULL****!!!!!!

This year there were 19 games that went to OT. TWO were decided in the first possession. TWO out of 19. And they change the rules because they listen to the CRYING of a LOSER. Football has never been about throwing a loser a lifeline,, until now.

Agree with much of your post, Bang....however, I'm not as bothered with the new OT rules. It really isn't college OT, which really would suck. As for only 2/19 games being decided on the first posession of OT this year......last year it was 5/13. Historically, its been about 30 percent.

There should be a little more weight put on the division record, a little more incentive to do well in division other than tiebreakers, a little bit of the way the college conferences do it: best in-conference records go to the championship game. I know you just can't do that solely, but when a team goes 6-0 in division (like the Raiders this year) there should be some reward.

No.

However, I would support a rule change that gave the teams with the best record home field advantage rather than division winners.

Its one thing for Seattle to go to the playoffs (which I have absolutely no problem with), it is another to give them a home playoff game. Just my two cents.

No.

However, I would support a rule change that gave the teams with the best record home field advantage rather than division winners.

Its one thing for Seattle to go to the playoffs, it is another to allow them to host a home playoff game.

Home field should always be given to the better team.

So, theoretically, a 6 seed could host a 2 seed. I'm not too sure I like that.

Bang, I couldn't agree more with you. You generally have good posts, this was one of the best.

This is one of Bangs post I can't agree with all the way. For overtime, I wouldn't care if they changed it, but be consistent for regular season AND playoffs. This current way just seems stupid.

But explain to me how a rule stating if you're a sub-.500 division champ, you make the playoffs but lose your home game be a knee-jerk and complete overreaction? I don't believe they should even have a playoff spot, however for the sanctity of division titles, that has to mean something so i guess we shouldn't take that away. Taking away the home game just seems logical and encourages competitive fairness and balance. Kind of like Foxnews ;)

I don't care if this happens once every 100 years. That's too much and it can be somewhat fixed while not breaking the rest of it. I see where you guys are coming from on this and don't want to change things, but this just seems blatantly unfair.

...I should've made this thread when the Redskins were one of the 10-6 teams sitting at home, but that would require them getting 10 wins :ols:

This is one of Bangs post I can't agree with all the way. For overtime, I wouldn't care if they changed it, but be consistent for regular season AND playoffs. This current way just seems stupid.

But explain to me how a rule stating if you're a sub-.500 division champ, you make the playoffs but lose your home game be a knee-jerk and complete overreaction? I don't believe they should even have a playoff spot, however for the sanctity of division titles, that has to mean something so i guess we shouldn't take that away. Taking away the home game just seems logical and encourages competitive fairness and balance. Kind of like Foxnews ;)

Because it's only happened once. If it happens 6 times in the next ten years, change the rule.

But one time in 80+ years? Leave it be.

I don't care if this happens once every 100 years. That's too much and it can be somewhat fixed while not breaking the rest of it. I see where you guys are coming from on this and don't want to change things, but this just seems blatantly unfair.

...I should've made this thread when the Redskins were one of the 10-6 teams sitting at home, but that would require them getting 10 wins :ols:

It's an anomaly. Nothing more.

We missed the playoffs in a 10 win season once. Back in about 86 or so.

~Bang

I think the division winners deserve to go to the playoffs. What is the incentive or reward for winning the division if you can't get in the 'tournament'?

What happened with the Seahawks is an anomaly that won't be happening on a yearly basis. If the Seahawks somehow win their first playoff game, there could be a resurgence of instant Cinderella Bandwagon supporters. Especially if they make it all the way to the superbowl and win it all. It would be the football story of the year, possibly the decade. From 7-9 to 11-9 and World Champion.

Before realignment, we had 3 division winners and 3 wildcard teams. Now we have 4 division winners and 2 wildcards. They should add 2 more teams to the playoff picture to offset this. We had realignment because we added new teams, the latest being the Houston Texans. From the mid 90's to the present we have seen 4 new franchises enter the league in the Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, The New and resurrected Cleveland Browns and the Houston Texans. So it makes sense to add playoff teams tot he tournament. 8 for each conference instead of 6. A sweet 16, if you will.

Just for the sake of lol'ing, it is mathematically possible to have a 6-10 or even 5-11 Division Champion. ;) Though a 5-11 division winner is pushing it too much. Seriously what are the odds that this would happen before? It was mathematically possible before and reality now.

If the league decides that next season there is a 18 game season instead of 17, then I believe that the entire format for the post season has

to all so get shuffled around. to where a 3rd place 9 or 10 win team. can't miss the post season,.with the event of two teams with the same

record. Needing to dealt with in a one game winner gets the last playoff spot game

If the league decides that next season there is a 18 game season instead of 17, then I believe that the entire format for the post season has

to all so get shuffled around. to where a 3rd place 9 or 10 win team. can't miss the post season,.with the event of two teams with the same

record. Needing to dealt with in a one game winner gets the last playoff spot game

true i forgot about that. this discussion is pretty much useless if that happens b/c it's a whole new ball game and there's no telling what could happen.

We missed the playoffs in a 10 win season once. Back in about 86 or so.

~Bang

Hell, that happened 3 times. We had bad luck and a very good division. San Fran would have missed the playoffs altogether in several of their big years if they'd been in our division. They went 10-6 in 88 and won the SB and wouldn't even have qualified for the playoffs in the east. We'd be the dynasty over them in the 80's if we'd have swapped divisions.

I still like it the way it is. Seattle beating the 11-5 Saints today was classic. I guess GW didn't take Hasslebeck being on fire into consideration when making that defensive game plan.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 05:54 PM ----------

everyone will always remember that the seahawks are a pretty poor football team, and the saints should crush them next weekend.

So much for that idea, lol.

Hell, that happened 3 times. We had bad luck and a very good division. San Fran would have missed the playoffs altogether in several of their big years if they'd been in our division. They went 10-6 in 88 and won the SB and wouldn't even have qualified for the playoffs in the east. We'd be the dynasty over them in the 80's if we'd have swapped divisions.

I still like it the way it is. Seattle beating the 11-5 Saints today was classic. I guess GW didn't take Hasslebeck being on fire into consideration when making that defensive game plan.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 05:54 PM ----------

So much for that idea, lol.

The American people are counting on you to keep your promises, Mr. Speaker. Tea Party Patriots are watching and we will be eternally vigilant

Archived