Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hopefully Mcnabb is Brunell 2.0

Chiefinonhaze

This is exactly how I described the situation. McNabb= bridge to acquire a new QB and still be competitive for a few years. The only problem with what Gibbs did was we got the wrong QB. IF we get a good one this time around, the strategy will have worked.

The Oline will be vastly improved next year with even 1 or 2 new players that we draft or acquire in free agency, and Mcnabb will look better as a result. I just hope we draft a QB in two years that will be better than every other terrible one we've drafted in the last 15 years.

Lol, since the time I started perusing this message board, I have always seen people taking shots at Brunell. Yeah, he wasn't spectacular, but he always seemed to give it his all. I feel like I am the only Brunell fan on this board.
I am still a Brunell fan for what he did. He had one really decent performance period when his legs weren't injured, and the team flourished. He needed a healthy lower chassis -- both for scrambling out of the pocket, and more importantly for generating the power he needed for those long accurate throws that would drop in the breaking WR's basket. When that was healthy, he was pretty good.

I long suspected Brunell wasn't completely healthy enough when Gibbs first brought him in from Jacksonville for that first year as Redskins QB-- but he cetainly was healthy enough at the start of the next year when he later supplanted Ramsey. (I remember commenting on how good Brunell looked in that pre-season vs. Ramsey). But by the end of the season, the hits had taken their tol. By the Seattle playoff game, he was battered enough to be down to one leg -- but still gave it his best.

Bunell's positive legacy with the Skins gets doomed the next season when Gibbs/Snyder scraps the "Gibbs 1" offense that Brunnel was best suited for and brings in Saunders. Brunnell, now in the twilight his career, was still healing up (because it takes longer now), starting to lose his wheels, and also losing zip on his passes. Making it worse, he's now in an offense that doesn't play to his strengthes (mainly rolling out of the pocket and heaving) and even his WRs are confused on what they are suposed to do.... And he's got Snyder's brand-new QB chafing to start. (Still time would show how Brunell was still a much better leader of the Skins offense than Campbell would be.)

When he was on his way out, I recall that Brunnel left on a classy note -- voiding a couple of the years on his contract, when he could have hung on and racked up $$. This guy had a great career and I was glad he wound up as the backup QB for the super-bowl winning Saints . It was an offense that suits him better, and at this final stage of his career he's best suited as the cagey veteran backup. I think he'd probably make a decent coach -- he struck me as a mature individual and a good leader.

I do see some parallels between the Redskin situations of McNabb and Brunell -- although McNabb is more toughly built and hasn't had the leg injuries that Brunell has. I think McNabb has a bit longer to to play at NFL starter level, and so far he doesn't have a 1st round QB itching in the wings.

I dont think coaches are using Mcnabb to his strenghts! I mean he has these bad throws at checkdowns but then he has these awsome bombs 80 yards down the field. they need to look into what Andy was doing with him in philly and work from there. and protect him a bit better for everyones sake!

I'm glad someone else can see the full picture. McNabbs arm is far from gone and his strength is attacking deep and throwing downfield, not these short passes to receivers in traffic. But when your O-line can't keep a D off your QB, it's hard to watch any play truly develope. I think we should start a new thread about our Oline :silly:

I'm not a Brunell hater, but he was awful. And, if this turns out anything like when we signed Brunell, then McNabb will stay for this entire contract regardless of how he's playing. I think McNabb is about 100xs better than Brunell when he got here. McNabb can still run and still has a monster arm.

Brunell had 2 long throws left, and, thankfully, he used them both up against the Cowboys one evening. :D

I know it sounds like a ridiculous statement, but Mcnabb's situation is very similiar to Brunell when we acquired him. An old veteran coach(Gibbs, Shanahan) got himself an old veteran QB(Brunell, Mcnabb).

Both quarterbacks struggled heavily in their first season with the team. The amount of ridicule Brunell recieved in 2004 was huge. People hated Brunell, and thought he washed up. Then after a year in Gibbs' system, Brunell leads us to the playoffs in 2005 with much help from Portis.

I'm not saying Mcnabb will lead us to the playoffs, I think he sucks this year and is finished as a QB, but this situation is remindining me of the Brunell situation.

edit: To all the Brunell haters, in 2005 he had 23 Td's and 10 int's. Mcnabb in a Redskins uniform can't even come close to that yet.

Why are you people always putting blame on the QB. Is it their fault that they don't get much blocking? Is it their fault that a certain receiver such as Galloway can't get much separation from his defender? Is it his fault that despite the poor defensive play calling, Shanahan started our driving against the Eagles with run plays? Is it his fault that we don't have a tall, deep threat receiver like Randy Moss, when we could have gotten him?

None of this is McNabb's fault. If McNabb went back to the Eagles right now, he would be more impressive under a strong O-Line, receivers and smart play calling. McNabb is a very good QB. When we finally get another good wide out, McNabb will start unlocking the deep passing game for us.

Why are you people always putting blame on the QB. Is it their fault that they don't get much blocking? Is it their fault that a certain receiver such as Galloway can't get much separation from his defender? Is it his fault that despite the poor defensive play calling, Shanahan started our driving against the Eagles with run plays? Is it his fault that we don't have a tall, deep threat receiver like Randy Moss, when we could have gotten him?

None of this is McNabb's fault. If McNabb went back to the Eagles right now, he would be more impressive under a strong O-Line, receivers and smart play calling. McNabb is a very good QB. When we finally get another good wide out, McNabb will start unlocking the deep passing game for us.

i've been very critical of mcnabb since they traded for him, so allow me to explain.

poor blocking, doesn't explain mcnabb throwing the ball into the dir twhen he has plenty of time.

poor blocking, and short wr's, don't explain him under throwing, over throwing, leading too much or not enough, whne he has plenty of time and the WR is wide open. he does this often. we lost a lot of YAC because the wr has to fall to the ground to catch the ball,d espite being WIDE OPEN

poor blocking/bad wr's doesn't explain missing a RB in the flat on a screen.

and he does that, ALL OF THE TIME.

all that said, i do not put any of the blame for the monday night eagles game on mcnabb. that was coaching, terrible defense play, and wr's letting INTS happen because they let the ball go through their hands.

but, the other 8 games? he's been awful, even when he gets plenty of time, and the wr is wide open. how anyone can possibly defend him is beyond me. he's played absolutely terrible.

Here is how it works. McNabb is a deep thrower. In Philly he over threw the receivers a lot because, he knew they were fast enough to get under the ball. And it's not all the time that our receivers are wide open. Given the fact that Skins have short receivers, McNabb may over throw them a little bit because he knows they can't jump for the ball in tight coverage. Now if we had gotten Randy Moss then we may have saw a little improvement on Monday Night Football. But yet again, a big name head coach that we have passes him up and lets the Titans take him. Not thinking, that we have to play the Titans.

I like McNabb and he will improve once we get an O-Line and better receivers. If Skins had a better O-Line, we could establish a decent run game, to set up the deep pass. Dallas does this a lot which is why they have success on the field. With Tians not having Haynesworth, this scheme would have worked well today if we had an O-Line. Titans don't have the best secondary. If we had an O-Line to set up the run, we could finally hit them with a big pass when we get into enemy territory.

I can't believe people still don't appreciate how well Brunell played for us in 2005. Yeah he sucked the other years, but that year was a strong year for him. That Dallas comeback alone makes Brunell a noteworthy QB in Redskins history IMHO

I heard that, I still get chills when I hear or think about that game.

In 9 games with the Redskins - Brunell's first year:

Record: 3-6-0

Comp/Att118/237

Completion % 49.8

Yards 1194

Touchdowns 7

Interceptions 6

QB Rating 63.9

In 9 games with the Redskins - McNabb's first year:

Record: 4-5

Comp/Att 176/ 308

Completion %: 57.1

Yards 2266

Touchdowns 9

Interceptions 11

QB Rating: 75.2

God I hope you're not right!

I never liked Brunell as our QB.....He was not the key to our 2005 playoff appearance but I do think he was one of the factors that saw us exit the playoffs.

Brunell was underwhelming at best as the QB....I was happy to see JC come in just because I was sick of Brunell football....not that the result was much better but at least it was different and we tried something instead of the same old thing.

I hope Mcnabb has more left in him, but sadly I do not think he ever had all that much....sure he won the NFC championship a few times but Superbowls are what counts....Marino would trade all of his great season for a Superbowl ring....and until you win the big one your just a never was in my eyes....hate to be all Al Davis about it but winning is really all that matters.

Archived