Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hopefully Mcnabb is Brunell 2.0

Chiefinonhaze

I know it sounds like a ridiculous statement, but Mcnabb's situation is very similiar to Brunell when we acquired him. An old veteran coach(Gibbs, Shanahan) got himself an old veteran QB(Brunell, Mcnabb).

Both quarterbacks struggled heavily in their first season with the team. The amount of ridicule Brunell recieved in 2004 was huge. People hated Brunell, and thought he washed up. Then after a year in Gibbs' system, Brunell leads us to the playoffs in 2005 with much help from Portis.

I'm not saying Mcnabb will lead us to the playoffs, I think he sucks this year and is finished as a QB, but this situation is remindining me of the Brunell situation.

edit: To all the Brunell haters, in 2005 he had 23 Td's and 10 int's. Mcnabb in a Redskins uniform can't even come close to that yet.

I can't believe people still don't appreciate how well Brunell played for us in 2005. Yeah he sucked the other years, but that year was a strong year for him. That Dallas comeback alone makes Brunell a noteworthy QB in Redskins history IMHO

Strong year???? Our offense sucked and so did Brunell. Yeah that Dallas win might have been the worst offensive performance in the history of Redskins football less three or so plays.

Brunell 2.0? god i hope not..... that was 3 years of suck....

The way Mcnabb is playing, I would be surprised if he can lead this team further than Brunell led us in 2005. I know Portis was the main reason for the 2005 success, but Brunell had 23 Td's and only 10 int's in that year. He managed the games much better than Mcnabb has for us this season. I think Mcnabb already had 10 int's this year or close to it.

The way Mcnabb is playing, I would be surprised if he can lead this team further than Brunell led us in 2005. I know Portis was the main reason for the 2005 success, but Brunell had 23 Td's and only 10 int's in that year. He managed the games much better than Mcnabb has for us this season. I think Mcnabb already had 10 int's this year or close to it.

unfortunately you are probably right about McNabb but im still holding out hope. i hope at some point while he is here we can see what he will do behind a real OL.

im hoping for the best because i dont know if i can stand another 3 years of brunell type play

unfortunately you are probably right about McNabb but im still holding out hope. i hope at some point while he is here we can see what he will do behind a real OL.

im hoping for the best because i dont know if i can stand another 3 years of brunell type play

I'm holding hope as well, because I know Mcnabb can look great in spurts. But I am so worried about the future of this franchise if we can't find someone to replace Mcnabb. We aren't going to get better with Mcnabb at QB. Even in the Eagles game, he made stupid Int's in key points of the game. That is totally unacceptable. If we would have kept JC, it would have given us a QB 5 years younger who can match the production of Mcnabb.

Lol, since the time I started perusing this message board, I have always seen people taking shots at Brunell. Yeah, he wasn't spectacular, but he always seemed to give it his all. I feel like I am the only Brunell fan on this board :silly:

IDK, maybe it's different for me because I was still in High School when Brunell was the QB when the Redskins went to the playoffs in the 2005 season.

Brunell and Portis were both snubbed from the 2005 Pro Bowl for Michael Vick and Warrick Dunn. I never quite got over that one. Brunell's numbers were far better than Vick's...and how do you have a 1500yd receiver on your team, but the QB doesn't make the Pro Bowl? Crazy. And then, how do you set the franchise record for rushing yards (on a team that already has RBs in the HOF) and not make the Pro Bowl?

2005 was the last season we actually had a potent offense. I think our offense finished the season just outside the top 10 that year.

As much **** as I give Mcnabb, it's just because he's playing like ****. If he can play as well as 2005 Brunell, I will change my tune without a doubt.

I dont think coaches are using Mcnabb to his strenghts! I mean he has these bad throws at checkdowns but then he has these awsome bombs 80 yards down the field. they need to look into what Andy was doing with him in philly and work from there. and protect him a bit better for everyones sake!

And this answers the question of just how far we have fallen as a franchise.

I won't get into the whole Brunell thing other than to say Brunell was not very good in 2005 with the exception of a handful of games. His numbers looked better than his play mostly thanks to Santana Moss having a career year and turning little screens into big plays and making great adjustments to poor balls in flight to make the catch.

If you want McNabb to have a year two like Brunell, the Skins better find a playmaking receiver in the offseason in order to make him look good.

During the Brunell era things really fell apart for me.... I fell into a deep depression and lost everything from my fiance'- to my job- and even my pet rattlesnake, Murray. I started huffing paint on the 'reg, and eventually I found myself working at a car-wash/pizza-hut (it was both) in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. I'm not even sure how I got there.

So basically, I'm really hoping that McNabb is not Brunell 2.0... because things have really been looking-up for me lately.

(this was a joke by the way... tough crowd)

Archived