Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

Sweet, thanks. That second Dunk is what opened up the game and got the crowd into it. The Ted was flat most of the game until then. After that second dunk, the Ted was as loud as I have ever heard it even after Richmond kept hitting their threes. No one sat, no one stopped yelling, it was awesome.

JMU at GSU today hopefully the Dukes can get another win and move to 7-1.

Curious to see how they play once they get into some of these games with tougher conference opponents.

Schedule has been extremely favorable for a team still trying to find themselves - and the talent is certainly there.

However, I'm concerned that they can't seem to put a full game together - usually fall behind quite a bit and rely on a huge 50+ point second half to come back. That's not going to fly against VCU, ODU, GMU, etc.

Curious to see how they play once they get into some of these games with tougher conference opponents.

Schedule has been extremely favorable for a team still trying to find themselves - and the talent is certainly there.

However, I'm concerned that they can't seem to put a full game together - usually fall behind quite a bit and rely on a huge 50+ point second half to come back. That's not going to fly against VCU, ODU, GMU, etc.

Yeah this game will be a good test early on to see if JMU is for real and going to make some noise in the CAA.

Right now its 52 all according to ESPN but I always get nervous watching on ESPN because against Longwood it had Longwood winning for a good 8 minutes until I realized it was stuck on 9 minutes

Yeah this game will be a good test early on to see if JMU is for real and going to make some noise in the CAA.

Right now its 52 all according to ESPN but I always get nervous watching on ESPN because against Longwood it had Longwood winning for a good 8 minutes until I realized it was stuck on 9 minutes

I'm not sure I would consider a game against GSU a "good test." They're coming off loses to Hampton and Samford. Probably will finish in the bottom 1/3rd of the CAA.

BTW, just looked at the box score. Who the hell is Humpty Hitchens lol?

I'm not sure I would consider a game against GSU a "good test." They're coming off loses to Hampton and Samford. Probably will finish in the bottom 1/3rd of the CAA.

BTW, just looked at the box score. Who the hell is Humpty Hitchens lol?

its a test compared to some of the teams we've played so far though. Not saying they are going to light the world on fire this year but its a test for us because we haven't played really any hard teams so far outside of Kansas State

---------- Post added December-4th-2010 at 03:59 PM ----------

And somehow JMU pulls off the win at GSU, have to say looking at the game cast it seems like we got lucky with some bad plays by GSU

LOL as always JMU basketball lets me down. Let's GSU win at the buzzer off a blocked shot put back.

Oh well, I guess I'll just hope for improvement over the course of the season since the CAA tournament is all that matters anyway.

Oh wow see on ESPN it was stating 63-62 JMU it never had GSU winning disregard my last post then :ols:

LOL as always JMU basketball lets me down. Let's GSU win at the buzzer off a blocked shot put back.

Oh well, I guess I'll just hope for improvement over the course of the season since the CAA tournament is all that matters anyway.

Correct, there's not much advantage to being 1st in the CAA over 4th (some years there is a chance of an at large, but not for JMU or Mason this year). Just gotta be top 4 so you get a bye in the tournament. There's a lot of basketball left, and a road CAA loss isn't a killer by any means. I expect JMU to finish 4th in the regular season.

Man we are getting our butts kicked. Sounds like we were already looking passed delaware. Gonna have to pick it up next game. It ain't on tv but it sounds like there were a bunch of phantom 3 second calls..oh well. Kudos to delaware for being the better team all night. Could be a surpise in the caa. Now that we got that outta the way we can stop the top 25 talks and come back down to earth.

Well ODU looked like complete **** tonight, and deserved to get their asses handed to them like they did. Delaware played with passing and actually hustled around the court on both offense and defense, while ODU stood around and did nothing. Congrats to Delaware, and so much for any top 25 talk, ODU needs to pick their game up and realize that they aren't going to win on their name alone. I just hope they were looking past Delaware, and come back next week and handle business vs. East Carolina.

Wow. UD caught fire from three and ODU's shot wasn't there. I knew at some point ODU would miss Lee. This game was definitely a example if it. UD has a habit of knocking out the top teams at home occasionally. Today was crazy for the CAA.

My predictions today

4 right, 2 wrong. Not bad.

UD over ODU(I thought UD might have that random three day they occasionally have)

VCU over W&M(tight game with the Rams not hitting shots and playing bad D)

DU over NU(I thought NU would mess up at some point with losing all the players they did)

JMU over GSU(I was wrong and GSU showed up)

UNCW over GMU(I was big time wrong. History showed UNCW and GMU usually have tight games and I thought a motivated UNCW could pull one out)

HU over Towson(Hofstra is pretty good.Towson needs a new coach. Their waiting to next year from what I heard)

Hmm caught fire from threes. Thats exactly how Richmond played against us, maybe teams are catching on.

Yeah ODU tried a 3-2 zone but Delaware found ways to collapse it and kick it out for a three. Delaware is like playing a wheel of fortune. You never know which one will show up. Next game they might miss everything. Tonight it seemed as though they hit every three. There wasn't a defense Taylor could come up with to counter it. ODU's shot were really off too. Plus D James was off. Finney tried to keep you guys in it with threes but he just couldn't keep up with Delaware.

Main things that hurt the Monarchs:

1-No floor leader to step up with things got tough(Gerald Lee was always that)

2- No way to stop UD's three pointers. Not even the zone could keep it down though it worked occasionally

3-Lack of 3 point shooter. ODU was taking 2 for UD's 3's. ODU's shot wasn't there so when UD got a fair lead ODU didn't have the 3 point shooters to bring them back. Hell even down like 8 with 16 seconds left ODU took a 2 instead of a three. UD just canceled out ODU scores in the last minute with FTs from quick fouls. Bazemore tried to get some threes but that's not his shot really and he completely airballed one.

Yeah ODU tried a 3-2 zone but Delaware found ways to collapse it and kick it out for a three. Delaware is like playing a wheel of fortune. You never know which one will show up. Next game they might miss everything. Tonight it seemed as though they hit every three. There wasn't a defense Taylor could come up with to counter it. ODU's shot were really off too. Plus D James was off. Finney tried to keep you guys in it with threes but he just couldn't keep up with Delaware.

Main things that hurt the Monarchs:

1-No floor leader to step up with things got tough(Gerald Lee was always that)

2- No way to stop UD's three pointers. Not even the zone could keep it down though it worked occasionally

3-Lack of 3 point shooter. ODU was taking 2 for UD's 3's. ODU's shot wasn't there so when UD got a fair lead ODU didn't have the 3 point shooters to bring them back. Hell even down like 8 with 16 seconds left ODU took a 2 instead of a three. UD just canceled out ODU scores in the last minute with FTs from quick fouls. Bazemore tried to get some threes but that's not his shot really and he completely airballed one.

Year Richmond did that zone collapse to quick out 3 play soooo many times. Iliadas is on fire from 3's this year (85 percent) but he isn't enough of a presence on the floor to play out there with our 5 starters. We got the ross guy from Texas coming in to the lineup next year (he is a redshirt freshman), and if Bazemore decides to play out his redshirt senior year, then they will be a great one two combo.

I loved Lee, he always put everything he had into the game and he would just dominate in the paint both offensively and defensively

We at GMU (or at least myself) feel that way about Will Thomas.

Or Larry Sanders(I would say Maynor but Joey is so far doing a good job of trying to fill the PG position for us.) Rebounding has been a problem for the Rams this year and it's cost them games. This game they faced a interesting matchup zone from W&M which was very good at taking away the three as well as allowing them double team our big guys down low. Had the Rams been hitting their threes W&M wouldn't have been able to use the zone they did but the Rams missed wide open threes even when they got them. Also we haven't been giving Skeen the ball down low which is beginning to really annoy me because that guy is a beast down low.

The guy on the team that is the most exciting is Rob Brandenberg. He's a freshman but his speed is insane and his basketball IQ is quite high. Not many players can stay in front of the guy. That guy will be a star at VCU and I think he'll be starting soon enough. He had a awesome dunk yesterday off a steal. Once his three point gets better that guy will be a force.

Archived