Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

How would you know we couldn't keep Xavier down? The Rams were busy facing ranked teams in MSG at the time. I'm perfectly fine with ODU winning those games because it makes the conferences look better as well as VCU when we beat you guys this year. Yeah beating ODU at Norfolk is always a challenge but VCU has shown they can defend their home court against ODU very well. Seeing as the Monarchs have only won there once and it took a ref not calling Maynor being raped on the game winning shot a foul. There's not a Monarch who would argue that either. See the difference between ODU and VCU is the playing styles. ODU is a slow calculating team on offense/defense while as VCU is a fast paced offense/defense. One team is about shooting lights out and likes to take threes(considering the 43% last year with the same shooters we have this year there's nothing wrong with putting up some threes). One team likes to work the ball inside and use its big guys but doesn't go for the three much if at all(One game this year ODU didn't make one three). VCU revolves more around offense but likes to pressure teams(Havoc full court press) into mistakes when on defense. ODU revolves around its half court defense and uses a slower offensive style. There's nothing wrong with either styles. Both styles are good. VCU of course will usually score higher in its games due to the extra possessions from its full court press but that's a given. Side note: VCU-ODU games are usually pretty close just because both teams get up for each other. Usually the two teams split and the tourney will probably be home to another VCU-ODU 3 classic this year.

Caazone. I don't post there anymore really but I read occasionally. I mainly keep to Ramnation. Anyway, after VSU your fans were already saying they suck(Funny considering you won by like 30 right?). I believe they said something along the lines of we got owned inside by a DII Center.:ols: Then after St Peters it was all gloom again when they actually stayed in the game and nearly beat you guys. Then its back to "We're ODU and we're the greatest" when the Monarchs outlast Xavier. One second you guys say you suck and the next we're awesome. Make up your mind.:ols:

(Sirloinburger is probably the guy I remember the most on caazone as far as monarch fans. He always says VCU is not a very good team every year but never says why. I swear thats all he posts. At least Razor is some what amusing. Of course I wouldn't know if you post there so this might not make any sense to you. I do know a few on this board from GMU and such do post there though.)

I've never even been to this CAA Zone message board and after hearing you describe it I won't even waste my time seeing what it's all about. No knowledgeable ODU fan would be worried after playing VSU or barely beating St. Peter's. All ODU fans I've talked to know that this year's team will be better than last year's team; however, the same cannot be said about VCU, which is why I'm not worried about them unlike previous years when you all had Maynor and Sanders leading the way. For some reason Joey Rodriguez doesn't scare me like Maynor and Sanders did, and I see ODU being able to shut him down this season.

How would you know we couldn't keep Xavier down? The Rams were busy facing ranked teams in MSG at the time. I'm perfectly fine with ODU winning those games because it makes the conferences look better as well as VCU when we beat you guys this year. Yeah beating ODU at Norfolk is always a challenge but VCU has shown they can defend their home court against ODU very well. Seeing as the Monarchs have only won there once and it took a ref not calling Maynor being raped on the game winning shot a foul. There's not a Monarch who would argue that either. See the difference between ODU and VCU is the playing styles. ODU is a slow calculating team on offense/defense while as VCU is a fast paced offense/defense. One team is about shooting lights out and likes to take threes(considering the 43% last year with the same shooters we have this year there's nothing wrong with putting up some threes). One team likes to work the ball inside and use its big guys but doesn't go for the three much if at all(One game this year ODU didn't make one three). VCU revolves more around offense but likes to pressure teams(Havoc full court press) into mistakes when on defense. ODU revolves around its half court defense and uses a slower offensive style. There's nothing wrong with either styles. Both styles are good. VCU of course will usually score higher in its games due to the extra possessions from its full court press but that's a given. Side note: VCU-ODU games are usually pretty close just because both teams get up for each other. Usually the two teams split and the tourney will probably be home to another VCU-ODU 3 classic this year.

I agree that it's been a challenge for ODU to go up to Richmond to beat VCU at their place, but I see it happening this year. Like I said in my previous post, VCU doesn't have the big time playmaker that it's had for the past 6 years and doesn't scare me anywhere near as much as they used to. Also, at least for this season ODU's defense > VCU's offense. ODU showed last season it can shut down a very good 3-point shooting in taking care of business against W&M 3 times, and keeping them under their season average is 3-pointers and PPG.

So apparently this thread needs to be renamed "The ODU/VCU pissing match thread."

Actually, it shouldn't. The team that worries me the most to compete with the Monarchs in the CAA is George Mason. I believe they are the 2nd best team in the conference and will be a force this season. JMU is another team I would keep an eye on, I believe with Bowles they have a chance to surprise some teams and even finish 3rd in the conference, and sending VCU to 4th, if not worse.

Caazone. I don't post there anymore really but I read occasionally. I mainly keep to Ramnation. Anyway, after VSU your fans were already saying they suck(Funny considering you won by like 30 right?). I believe they said something along the lines of we got owned inside by a DII Center.:ols: Then after St Peters it was all gloom again when they actually stayed in the game and nearly beat you guys. Then its back to "We're ODU and we're the greatest" when the Monarchs outlast Xavier. One second you guys say you suck and the next we're awesome. Make up your mind.:ols:

(Sirloinburger is probably the guy I remember the most on caazone as far as monarch fans. He always says VCU is not a very good team every year but never says why. I swear thats all he posts. At least Razor is some what amusing. Of course I wouldn't know if you post there so this might not make any sense to you. I do know a few on this board from GMU and such do post there though.)

:ciao: I'm ACW.

Razor's a douche, especially in the politics forum. Even worse is Jablomi.

Congrats VCU on beating UCLA :)

ODU defeats Richmond 77-70 at the Ted! Richmond is one hell of a 3-point shooting team, and Kevin Anderson is one hell of a guard; however, Bazemore took the game over with a number of defensive stops and big shots in the 2nd half to lead the Monarchs to the win.

This appears to be the start of another long home winning streak for ODU!

I was at the ODU and Richmond game tonight. Richomd was 11-26 with 3 point shooting. Their gameplan was pretty efficient. Richmond knew they couldn't match with us inside so they just kept to perimeter shooting all night, too bad our defense is beast.

Congrats to Bazemore on his career high 22 points and 10 of those points came on a 12-0 run to put the monarchs up 70-61. The TED was going NUTS and the student section made sure the crowd stayed into it when we needed it the most.

Awesome game.

Yup, it's his first year coaching over here.

Just a terrible showing against Mason today. We looked like ****.

Its time for KH to go. 10 years - he gave us some amazing highs, but the time has come for us to move on. He is the worst Xs and Os coach in the A-10 and besides his early recruiting classes he has not been able to bring in talent consistently.

Time to move on. Even if that means we lose the best recruit we have had in 6 years.

Im telling you guys... kent ****ing bazemore. Those two jams were out of this world. The kids a pure baller. The ted was rocking hard the last 5 minutes of that game. Old dominion beats richmond, richmond beat purdue, purdue beat tech... old dominion > tech? Hahaha go monarchs.

The second dunk was killer but the first dunk is for no doubt SportsCenter top play worthy. That dunk was ****ING SICK. He had wings on that dunk and destroyed his man on that one, he was on a mission

Its time for KH to go. 10 years - he gave us some amazing highs, but the time has come for us to move on. He is the worst Xs and Os coach in the A-10 and besides his early recruiting classes he has not been able to bring in talent consistently.

Time to move on. Even if that means we lose the best recruit we have had in 6 years.

Today's showing was just the most putrid display of offense. Bad offensive sets, horrible shot selection and when they got easy shots they missed them.

They went like 18-60 or something.

2-4 is a disappointing start. This is three straight loses in a row now. Navy at 3-6 is next up, we play them at Verizon Center. That would be a horrible loss.

Im telling you guys... kent ****ing bazemore. Those two jams were out of this world. The kids a pure baller. The ted was rocking hard the last 5 minutes of that game. Old dominion beats richmond, richmond beat purdue, purdue beat tech... old dominion > tech? Hahaha go monarchs.

That would be correct. Seth Greenberg is a ***** and is scared of scheduling ODU on his schedule. ODU has dominated Tech in previous meetings, and now Tech is afraid of ODU, plain and simple. Greenberg doesn't want to get embarrassed by another team in the state of VA, and I have a feeling ODU, Richmond, George Mason, and even VCU would be capable of embarrassing VA Tech in basketball.

Heard blazemore 424 was on espn top plays this morning jamming. What up.

From what other kids around campus have said his dunk was #4 on the top 10 plays of the day. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to watch Sportscenter today.

Also, if ODU isn't in the top 25 after last night's win, then I don't know what it's going to take to get in the top 25. Yes, we lost to Georgetown at home, but we had them dominated most of the game, and then we beat Clemson, Xavier, and Richmond. I know we're ranked as the #1 Mid-Major team, but we deserve to be in the top 25. Especially when there are teams such as VA Tech hovering around the top 25 area, which is a complete joke.

Archived