Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

I know there's already a college basketball thread; however, looking over the posts most of the talk will be for the major schools. That's why I believe there should be a basketball thread for the smaller schools, and this is the place.

The CAA won't be as deep as last season with W&M and Northeastern losing key players. The team to beat is going to be ODU, who mainly lost Gerald Lee. George Mason has to be next in line to take a shot at the CAA Title. It will be interesting to see how VCU rebounds after losing Larry Sanders. JMU could be a wild card this season with Denzel Bowles leading the charge inside for the Dukes.

While CAA play won't tip off for a few more weeks, a big game already is this Friday when ODU hosts #20 Georgetown, and the Monarchs are looking to extend the nation's 4th longest home winning streak to 24 games.

GW grad - luckily I went to school during the 4 years we were awesome (2002-2006). Pops, JR, Car Elliot, Mike Hall, Omar Williams. Those teams were ****ing amazing. We ran teams to death and dunked all over them. 30 highlights a game.

Sadly . . . . things have fallen apart since then and I am surprised Hobbs still has a job. He can recruit, but wow he is a horrible Xs and Os guy. But I guess this year we can only get better.

Next year we have a commitment from a guy ranked by ESPN at the #6 Center and #49 overall player coming. Maybe Pops Mensah Bonsu 2.0? I can dream.

GW grad - luckily I went to school during the 4 years we were awesome (2002-2006). Pops, JR, Car Elliot, Mike Hall, Omar Williams. Those teams were ****ing amazing. We ran teams to death and dunked all over them. 30 highlights a game.

Sadly . . . . things have fallen apart since then and I am surprised Hobbs still has a job. He can recruit, but wow he is a horrible Xs and Os guy. But I guess this year we can only get better.

Next year we have a commitment from a guy ranked by ESPN at the #6 Center and #49 overall player coming. Maybe Pops Mensah Bonsu 2.0? I can dream.

His uncle is on staff which is the reason you landed him. So might want to wait till he's on campus before you fire the coach.

His uncle is on staff which is the reason you landed him. So might want to wait till he's on campus before you fire the coach.

Or we can make Houston the coach :). Not going to happen, Hobbs will be with us for 2 years at least. But hey, if he can take up back to the AP Top 25 and consecutive tournament appearances, I might suddenly start liking him again :ols:.

I am pumped to have a stud big man though. Big dominant centers are what mid-majors lack the most, and if you get a good one, you can be very very very very very very good. Every year we overflow with PGs, SGs and athletic wings but never a big, legit center.

Hopefully he does not get scooped by a big school

It'll be great for the CAA if JMU, ODU, VCU, and Mason finish top 4. The Coliseum would be packed on Sunday if those four teams made the Semis

Without injuries, I don't see how ODU & Mason don't finish in the top 2, and I honestly believe that JMU could surprise some people and finish 3rd, with VCU dropping to 4th, if not farther.

I already knew they were afraid to play against quality mid-major opponents. I didn't realize they're afraid to even read about them.

The mid majors will get their upsets, but when it comes to making a difference at tournament time, they fall short. You can't compare the competition in the CAA to that of the ACC. Look at the number of tournament bids, sweet 16's, elite 8's, final fours and National Championships.

As far as my previous post, it should have had a smiley. The CAA gets tons of attention from ES fans, and often clutter the NCAA thread with a bunch of stuff about the various CAA rivalries that many could care less about. Having a seperate CAA thread will make both threads enjoyable for all.

I'm curious how ODU rebounds from losing Lee. He was always the man to take the big shot and he was the main reason ODU got the CAA title last year as well as the win over Notre Dame. I think VCU will be fine with a team full of seniors and Juniors as well as the Super Six recruits(Top recruiting class in the CAA this year).

VCU_logo.jpg

GW_01.gif

:party::1stplace::1stplace::wavetowel:wavetowel:wavetowel:wavetowel

20 year old? Man, I feel for you. You missed all the good days. :ols: :ols:

2006 was unbelievably fun (besides for Pops getting hurt right before the A10 tournament and us blowing our chance at a good seed). This was the greatest GW game I have ever been too - absolutely incredible. And yea - I am in that video, drunk as ****, for about 2 seconds. :ols:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=684122351214

Oh, by the way, how does the Smith Center look these days? I heard it was completely renovated.

20 year old? Man, I feel for you. You missed all the good days. :ols: :ols:

2006 was unbelievably fun (besides for Pops getting hurt right before the A10 tournament and us blowing our chance at a good seed). This was the greatest GW game I have ever been too - absolutely incredible. And yea - I am in that video, drunk as ****, for about 2 seconds. :ols:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=684122351214

Oh, by the way, how does the Smith Center look these days? I heard it was completely renovated.

Smith Center is really awesome now.

I remember the GW ass kicking days. My older sister is a GW grad. I'm surprised Pops didn't stick around in the NBA. He seemed to do really well in the D-league. He could have made a career as a bench role player in the big league. I think he's playing in Britain right now, not really sure if he's a featured player there or not.

What year did you graduate?

Smith Center is really awesome now.

I remember the GW ass kicking days. My older sister is a GW grad. I'm surprised Pops didn't stick around in the NBA. He seemed to do really well in the D-league. He could have made a career as a bench role player in the big league. I think he's playing in Britain right now, not really sure if he's a featured player there or not.

What year did you graduate?

Graduated in 2006. Could not have been luckier, going to games from 2002-2006. Got to see them grow together for 4 years.

I am pretty sure Pops made the Hornets roster this year. I think he even played like 2 minutes the other day, but has not really done anything. He got a cult following in Toronto for a while -

Though I loved Pops I was more surprised that Mike Hall never made it to the NBA. He was a team leader, lock down defender, nasty on the borders, good handles for a tall guy and had a nice outside game. Deadly from 3. I always thought of all the players on that 2002-2006 squad, he would be the one to make it in the NBA as a solid bench player. Funny, JR was the only player drafted out of all of them.

Glad to hear about the Smith Center. I was excited to hear they are going to fix it up. Next time I am home during the season I am going to have to catch a game.

I need to read up more about the team this year. I am pumped for Eric Copes next year, but I think we could surprise a few people this year.

Graduated in 2006. Could not have been luckier, going to games from 2002-2006. Got to see them grow together for 4 years.

I am pretty sure Pops made the Hornets roster this year. I think he even played like 2 minutes the other day, but has not really done anything. He got a cult following in Toronto for a while -

Though I loved Pops I was more surprised that Mike Hall never made it to the NBA. He was a team leader, lock down defender, nasty on the borders, good handles for a tall guy and had a nice outside game. Deadly from 3. I always thought of all the players on that 2002-2006 squad, he would be the one to make it in the NBA as a solid bench player. Funny, JR was the only player drafted out of all of them.

Glad to hear about the Smith Center. I was excited to hear they are going to fix it up. Next time I am home during the season I am going to have to catch a game.

I need to read up more about the team this year. I am pumped for Eric Copes next year, but I think we could surprise a few people this year.

Right, just checked up on Pops. Good to see that he's back in the NBA.

I remember the Wizards signed Mike Hall to 10 day contracts a couple years ago. Pretty surprised myself that he couldn't do much in the NBA, the Wiz were the only team that gave him a chance I think.

We play some good teams this year. I'm looking forward to our game against Mason, lots of friends there so trash talking will be great, especially after a win. It'll be nice to have an NBA vet like Donyell Marshall on the bench.

Archived