Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

I thought ES was filled with Mason fans?????? You guys asleep?

GW fired Karl Hobbs. One of our assistant Ronland Houston seems to have been hired by GMU.

Why does this matter? Go google Erik Copes. It is the only reason you hired Houston. Seems like you will be in the running for him next year.

As a GW fan I am crushed. . . . he is a game changer. But time to move on.

One other part, rumors are he did not qualify academically to play at GW (a part of the overall problem). So it will be interesting to see what school he ends up at.

I've been following the situation but didn't want to comment before it was official. It is true about the academic qualification part but Copes took his SAT again last week so hopefully he will be eligible this season. Btw he is a 2011 recruit so he would be playing for Mason this fall if everything works out. Obviously a huge blow for GW but it was a risk the AD took with firing Hobbs.

Honestly won't matter to me. I'd love for him to stay but if he doesnt the Vertrail probably moves into the starting lineup. We saw this year what he can do.

Vertrail definitely needs to step up as a shooter. He's gonna be the guy we count on to hit the big shot, and he needs to be ready for that role. Losing Cam is tough, but if Vertrail can shoot well consistently throughout the season, we should be fine.

I've also been seeing Sherrod Wright a whole lost at the gym lately. It'll be interesting to see how much time he'll get off the bench.

Vertrail definitely needs to step up as a shooter. He's gonna be the guy we count on to hit the big shot, and he needs to be ready for that role. Losing Cam is tough, but if Vertrail can shoot well consistently throughout the season, we should be fine.

I've also been seeing Sherrod Wright a whole lost at the gym lately. It'll be interesting to see how much time he'll get off the bench.

Sherrod is probably the hardest worker on the team. A lot of people have him penciled in as a starter next year. Mike mo, pearson, dj, Luke, and Sherrod would be the starters IMO.

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/george_mason_lands_top_75_player_ex_gw_signee_erik_copes/4732920

Copes to Mason is confirmed. Absolutely thrilled here. Sorry to our GW bretheren.

It hurts. It hurts a lot. The entire Ronald Houston thing is dirty and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It is clear Copes goes to who pays his uncle $$$$. Don't get me wrong - I was 100% okay with GW doing it just a week ago. KH was clearly willing to do it. I don't blame GMU at all. It is what you have to do to win. But it is clear that whoever pays his uncle $125,000 year, who is not a great coach and never really developed a single big man in his career, gets the player.

Copes basically costs $500,000. Oh well, I was hoping we could somehow keep Houston and Copes, but time to move on.

An interesting twist is we just got Kevin Sutton as an assistant. Rumors are Turgeon at UMD wanted Sutton BADLY. A stud on the local recruiting scene and a HUGE steal for GW. I am excited to see who we get on our radar next year. What drama GMU, GW, UMD. Gtown must feel left out :ols:

The GW staff is shaping up amazingly.

Edit. Just saw this on the GW board.

``I put pressure on him,” Copes admitted of his uncle. ``I called him right after I find out Coach (Karl) Hobbs was fired and asked him where we were going.”

Good luck to GMU - I think this could be a start to a true rivalry. To bad we don't pay next year! We need to just set-up a home-and-home series every year for the next decade.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/15740874/ncaa-clears-baru-to-play-at-cofc

NCAA clears Baru to play at CofC

Posted: Oct 20, 2011 12:31 PM EDT Updated: Oct 20, 2011 12:42 PM EDT

Baru

Related Links

• Cougars playing 'wait and see' on Baru's eligibility

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- College of Charleston's Adjehi Baru has been cleared to play by the NCAA.

Baru, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound freshman big man out of Abidjan, Ivory Coast, is the highest-ever rated player in program history. As a senior at The Steward School in Richmond, Va., he averaged 19.0 points, 10.4 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 2.6 blocks and 1.6 steals per game.

Baru was rated the No. 26 overall prospect by Rivals.com, No. 29 overall prospect by Scout.com and No. 46 overall prospect and the third highest-rated big man in the Class of 2011 by ESPN College Basketball Recruiting. He possesses a 7-foot-5 wingspan and has already been tabbed Southern Conference Newcomer of the Year by several preseason polls and annuals.

"I am very happy for our team and Adjehi Baru," CofC Head Coach Bobby Cremins said. "Adjehi Baru is an outstanding young man and an excellent student. Our director of compliance, Otto German, did a great job of gathering information and we are very appreciative of the NCAA's decision."

Cornelius isn't gone...just suspended cause he's a ****ing dumbass.

It's gonna be a tough year, but we still have Senior leadership with Pearson and a sick incoming freshman in Erik Copes.

Rumors floating around that the A10 wants to add GMU and VCU.

do you think AC will play this season?

that would be crazy if we go to the A10

DJ will probably only be suspending a few games if his plea deal goes through.

A10 isn't going to happen and I wouldn't want it to. With all the realignment going on, all the good teams from the A10 would probably end up leaving.

And no, this season is not going to suck.

Agreed, going to the A10 would be a horrible mistake. Especially with the new found attention that the CAA is getting, even if still classed as a Mid-Major.

Archived