Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

Its possible. There won't be an opening at UNC/Duke/Kansas any time soon and I honestly think it needs to be THAT big of a program for Stevens to leave.

Well Coach K will leave on his own terms, I think the same will be said with Roy Williams since he's won 2 national titles, and Bill Self's 1 national title will help prolong his stay at Kansas, even though his teams routinely come up short in the big dance.

Kentucky is my pick, because Calipari has shown time after time he's a cheater and a program ruiner, it's just a matter of time before he screws over Kentucky.

Well Coach K will leave on his own terms, I think the same will be said with Roy Williams since he's won 2 national titles, and Bill Self's 1 national title will help prolong his stay at Kansas, even though his teams routinely come up short in the big dance.

Kentucky is my pick, because Calipari has shown time after time he's a cheater and a program ruiner, it's just a matter of time before he screws over Kentucky.

There's a chance that Self will be forced out, but he'll have to do worse than making it to the Elite 8.

I'd have to agree with you, neither Coach K nor Roy are old enough to consider retiring any time soon and Brad Stevens probably won't stay at Butler too long.

I haven't been on the board since the first weekend of the tournament but WOW... what a ride rams. I don't even know what to say, it's been incredible to witness... and man since you're there, go ahead and take the whole damn thing. I think i heard that no team from VA has EVER been to the national championship game. Anyways, I could go on and on about the great things this is going to do for your school and our conference but why bother right? Congrats and keep it going this weekend.... That Butler team is one of heck of a basketball team. And should you go all the way, don't forget who the last team you lost to was.:drooley:.... Sad we couldn't be up there with you but you all got the good draw and played lights out throughout it... hopefully one day we can make a run half as exciting as yours has been.... but with our recent tournament history it doesn't really look too good. Good luck and I'll be rooting for your guys to bring the well overdue national championship to our great college basketball state.

And curb your disappoint for a minute monarch fans because our man Kent Bazemore is the top defender in the country and is recieving the Lefty Driesell award. Congrats Kent!!

Hopefully next season Blaine will showcase Bazemore's defensive skills even more by playing man to man instead of sticking him in the zone defense. We won't have the length to play the zone next year, but will have the speed to play man to man with Bazemore, Ross, Key, Hill, Wright, etc...Next season will be a fun one to watch with a much more athletic and faster team taking the court for the Monarchs.

I heard we jacked ticket prices for football by ten bucks, ooof! ... Either way it's going to be good to see how we measure up to the league in a full season. If we win 3 conference games next season and finish.500 or better I will be pumped.

---------- Post added April-2nd-2011 at 12:55 PM ----------

Hopefully next season Blaine will showcase Bazemore's defensive skills even more by playing man to man instead of sticking him in the zone defense. We won't have the length to play the zone next year, but will have the speed to play man to man with Bazemore, Ross, Key, Hill, Wright, etc...Next season will be a fun one to watch with a much more athletic and faster team taking the court for the Monarchs.

And yes... you're absolutely Wright (lulz). If our guys play to their potential next season we're going to have a scary team. If Bazemore can elevate his game and Trian can show a little more confidence in his jumper man we should be dancing for a third year in a row.

I'm not sure that Shaka is that great of a 'coach'.

He seems like a great motivator and a phenomenal energy guy, sort of like how I think of Mike Tomlin. I am impressed by what VCU's done but I think people underrate how good their actual team is.

I think Brad Stevens is one of the best coaches in the country. If Butler loses he would be picked up by a top tier program if there were openings. I'm talking Duke/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas top tier. I think those level programs would be making a mistake if they got Shaka.

So, good for him and VCU and good luck to them in the future. I know that VCU fans are happy.

I'm really surprised Smart didn't jump at the $2 million per year deal that NC State offered him.

He's never going to repeat the success he had in this year's tournament. Also, his coaching skills have been vastly over-hyped. Yes he's a solid coach, but nothing spectacular.

We have yet to see what kind of recruits he's able to pull, making it to the FF will help, and if he's able to win with his own guys and build a program. Like OD06 has said, VCU made this run this year with Grant's guys, and those guys went off for 5 games and shot lights out from behind the arc. Shooting 44% from 3 is ridiculous and is the reason VCU made their run.

Smart still has to prove he can win in the CAA which he has yet to do with VCU finishing 5th last year and 4th this year. There were several fans who were calling for his head after losing to ODU for the second consecutive year in the CAA Tourney. Smart still has a long way to go before he can be considered an great coach, and we'll now see if he can build a program at VCU.

Let's see how he does without Grant's recruits, next season we'll really see what he's made of...not to take anything away from his success this year of course.
The recruits Shaka has brought in have already shown a lot of promise. Brandenberg, Reddic & Haley all played intrical roles in our Final Four run. What he needs to find now is our point guard of the future as Theus isn't much of a talent IMO.

---------- Post added April-4th-2011 at 05:22 PM ----------

I'm really surprised Smart didn't jump at the $2 million per year deal that NC State offered him.

He's never going to repeat the success he had in this year's tournament. Also, his coaching skills have been vastly over-hyped. Yes he's a solid coach, but nothing spectacular.

We have yet to see what kind of recruits he's able to pull, making it to the FF will help, and if he's able to win with his own guys and build a program. Like OD06 has said, VCU made this run this year with Grant's guys, and those guys went off for 5 games and shot lights out from behind the arc. Shooting 44% from 3 is ridiculous and is the reason VCU made their run.

Smart still has to prove he can win in the CAA which he has yet to do with VCU finishing 5th last year and 4th this year. There were several fans who were calling for his head after losing to ODU for the second consecutive year in the CAA Tourney. Smart still has a long way to go before he can be considered an great coach, and we'll now see if he can build a program at VCU.

I disagree with your opinion. Shaka Smart has been successful at everything he's done in his young life so far. He just seems to have that "IT" factor. I can't see him failing in anything he wants to do in life.

The recruits Shaka has brought in have already shown a lot of promise. Brandenberg, Reddic & Haley all played intrical roles in our Final Four run. What he needs to find now is our point guard of the future as Theus isn't much of a talent IMO.

Eh.. I'll give you Brandenburg... but all irrational hate aside, Juvonte and DJ didn't impress me... wasn't Juvonte highly touted coming into the college game? or am I mistaken... and I agree with you on Theus. Though Jrod went cold at some bad times during the regular season and conference tournament he played like an animal in the NCAA and can run the point with the best of them in the college game, i think it's Jrod that VCU is going to miss the most overall from a running-the-show perspective, but Skeen was pretty dang good too. It should be a sweet year, both of our teams are losing a lot but I like what we're returning in Bazemore, Trian and Coop.. plus our young guys have a whole lot of promise as well. This might be the first time that ODU puts a team out there that's just as fast as VCU

or one that plays as fast as VCU, anyways

Eh.. I'll give you Brandenburg... but all irrational hate aside, Juvonte and DJ didn't impress me... wasn't Juvonte highly touted coming into the college game? or am I mistaken... and I agree with you on Theus. Though Jrod went cold at some bad times during the regular season and conference tournament he played like an animal in the NCAA and can run the point with the best of them in the college game, i think it's Jrod that VCU is going to miss the most overall from a running-the-show perspective, but Skeen was pretty dang good too. It should be a sweet year, both of our teams are losing a lot but I like what we're returning in Bazemore, Trian and Coop.. plus our young guys have a whole lot of promise as well. This might be the first time that ODU puts a team out there that's just as fast as VCU
Reddic was considered our highest rated recruit of this freshman class before the season started. His game is similar to Skeen's in that he can shoot and play the 4. However, he's very raw and commits a lot of dumb fouls. Brandenberg has been a pleasant suprise he seems to be very athletic, he was not considered as high of a recruit as the others. Haley gives us a true 7'0" presence but he gained 20+ pounds during the season trying to bulk up and I'm not sure he's gotten used to the new weight yet. The 2nd highest rated recruit preseason was Reco McCarter who plays the 3 and is a 6'8" pure shooter. I think he was 1st team all north carolina as a senior in high school. He was redshirted this year and will back up Burgess next year. VCU will be a really young team next year. Realistically we will probably take a little step back next year as I think we're 2 years away (when these freshman become juniors).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived