Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

Let's not take away from VCU's wins. USC had a NBA center who VCU shut down and Georgetown had 3 highly regard guards. They were shut down by the VCU defense. Georgetown's guard combo were 5 of 26 from 3 and combined 10-25 from the field. They were also # 22 in the country. I'm cool with ODU fans saying you got a sh*tty draw but don't take away from GMU and VCU's wins. Villanova is still a good team despite the losing streak as is Georgetown. Butler beat ODU on a buzzer beater and then beat Pitt(Who hadn't looked that great lately honestly. I thought they were the weakest of the #1 seeds and would go down first.). ODU could easily be where VCU and GMU were if not for a buzzer beater. Purdue is almost equal to OSU and both CAA teams will be in road type environments. At this level there really isn't a easy draw outside of Hampton. This tournament has shown any team can lose on any given night. ODU fell to a very good team as was evident tonight.

i don't think we should take away from anyone's wins honestly. this is the NCAA tourney after all, where anything can happen. we are also all CAA teams so wins in the tourney helps everyone out. its a crime to schedule ODU vs Butler though, and I agree that I would have rather faced Nova (also b/c i wanted vengeance) or GTown than Butler.

Its a shame ODU didn't win that game, but they will be back. I hope either Mason or VCU can make it to the sweet 16 for the sake of our conference and especially the teams that are at the top of our conference year in and year out (GMU, ODU, VCU) because we deserve it

i don't think we should take away from anyone's wins honestly. this is the NCAA tourney after all, where anything can happen. we are also all CAA teams so wins in the tourney helps everyone out. its a crime to schedule ODU vs Butler though, and I agree that I would have rather faced Nova (also b/c i wanted vengeance) or GTown than Butler.

Its a shame ODU didn't win that game, but they will be back. I hope either Mason or VCU can make it to the sweet 16 for the sake of our conference and especially the teams that are at the top of our conference year in and year out (GMU, ODU, VCU) because we deserve it

I'm not trying to take away from either Mason's or VCU's wins in the tournament, no one should. I'm glad both teams were able to advance and show that the CAA is for real, but when you say if only ODU could have pulled out a win, I'm just trying to point out they would have against either of the 3 teams that Mason and VCU have played so far, and I don't know if either Mason or VCU would have faired any better against Butler, they are just a different team in the dance for whatever reason.

I hope either CAA team can advance to the Sweet 16, especially since only one school in the CAA (Mason) has ever been able to advance past the 2nd round and into the Sweet 16. I think the fact that we've only had 1 team ever to advance to the Sweet 16 is why the CAA doesn't get any respect when it comes to the big dance. IMO I just don't see either Mason or VCU winning today, I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it happening, but that's why they play the game to prove people like me wrong.

i think you got the wrong idea. when i said "if only ODU could have pulled out a win" i just meant i was really hoping that they could and they were so close to pulling it off

also, i don't think GMU wins today either, but i'm going to be happy about our season win or lose

bushwack, not true. David Robinson's 1896 Navy team made the Elite Eight.

I'm talking about the teams that make up the CAA today. Mason is the only team to have gotten to the Sweet 16 in '06 en-route to the Final Four, and that was the only time a CAA team (of the teams currently in the CAA) have made it to the Sweet 16.

i think you got the wrong idea. when i said "if only ODU could have pulled out a win" i just meant i was really hoping that they could and they were so close to pulling it off

also, i don't think GMU wins today either, but i'm going to be happy about our season win or lose

The VCU team said they had a goal this year of at least a Sweet 16. Well they get that chance tonight. VCU has never gotten that far. The second round(what use to be the second round) has always missed up VCU. Even when VCU was a #2 seed years back we still fell. This team has a chance at doing something no VCU team has ever done. For now I just think about the Sweet 16. I'll think about Elite Eight and F4 when/if we get to it.

I still can't believe Joey Rodriguez did something that Eric Maynor couldn't do.

It's all about the luck of the draw, and VCU has had a great draw so far in this dance.

Maynor did not have such luck in '09 when he had to face a tough UCLA team led by Jrue Holiday and Darren Collison. He was also unfortunate in '07 when they got by a weak Duke team, they had to face a tough Pittsburgh team that was just too physical for them.

VCU could have easily been bounced in the 1st round if they drew a team that matched up much better with them like Xavier, Arizona, or Cincinnati.

I still can't believe the 4th place team in the CAA, that ODU and Mason absolutely CRUSHED in Richmond just a month ago, is still dancing in the sweet 16 while the Monarchs and Patriots are gonna be watching from home now. Way to get hot when it counts!

Yes, they are hot but the luck of the draw is the main factor in this equation. ODU got stuck with an incredibly hot team and great coached team in Butler, while Mason had a down Villanova team, they had one of the best teams in the nation waiting and licking their chops basically at home. While VCU got a bad USC team, a fading Georgetown team, and a Purdue team that struggled at the end of the season and were without their 3rd best player, who was suspended.

VCU by far had the easiest path to the Sweet 16 out of the 3 CAA teams, that's a fact. However, they have shown up to play, which is good for the CAA as a whole. But the fact still remains a large portion of how far a team can go is the draw they get and VCU has taken full advantage of theirs, just like Richmond has done the same.

Archived