Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

bushwack you sound a little jelly

Nope, just stating facts. I'm glad VCU won, it's bringing more money and credibility to the CAA. VCU had the easiest path to the Sweet 16 out of the 3 CAA schools, if anyone has a case as to why that's incorrect I will listen to them.

Nope, just stating facts. I'm glad VCU won, it's bringing more money and credibility to the CAA. VCU had the easiest path to the Sweet 16 out of the 3 CAA schools, if anyone has a case as to why that's incorrect I will listen to them.

So why doesn't VA Tech schedule the other VA schools again? :silly:

Sweet 16!!! This was the team I imagined before the season but I wondered when it would show up. This senior led team with the Super Six is on fire right now. You gotta love the chip they have on their shoulder. Also it should be noted VCU was showing signs of this in the CAA tourney. They beat the hell out of Mason and came back from 20 down before losing to ODU. The committee gave VCU hope and the media gave VCU even more motivation. Everytime VCU is made fun of they win. This team is full of pride and they don't like getting trashed by players and analysts. I was hoping Mason would make it but I had a feeling the OSU-GMU game was gonna be ugly when I saw the way Mason struggled against a NOVA team that was heading downhill. It didn't help OSU was on absolute fire today. VCU just picked a good time to gel and peak. Hell the team even goes out to movies like every other day to spend time together(even during the tourney). It seems its paying off as far as communication. Very similar to how Mason's team played baseball games to keep loose and have fun.

i'm happy for VCU (even though i hate them in the regular season) and the CAA in general. We've had a good showing this year.

But bushwack hit the nail on the head, the road has been relatively easy for VCU this far. Plain and simple they have gotten a couple down teams and now get 10th seeded FSU who is extremely beatable. If they would have matched up with a #1 like OSU or a team like PITT like ODU would have had in the 2nd round, they would have gotten spanked.

Thats not VCU's fault that they have been fortunate with their matchups, but if they come across Kansas in the Elite 8, its lights out

i'm happy for VCU (even though i hate them in the regular season) and the CAA in general. We've had a good showing this year.

But bushwack hit the nail on the head, the road has been relatively easy for VCU this far. Plain and simple they have gotten a couple down teams and now get 10th seeded FSU who is extremely beatable. If they would have matched up with a #1 like OSU or a team like PITT like ODU would have had in the 2nd round, they would have gotten spanked.

Thats not VCU's fault that they have been fortunate with their matchups, but if they come across Kansas in the Elite 8, its lights out

You mean if they beat a team like Kansas? Eat some crow.

What did you mean by "light's out"?
I guess he meant they'd shoot lights out :ols:

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 05:18 PM ----------

Saw this on Twitter:

Wait, so is VCU this year's Butler or this year's George Mason? If [VCU is] this year's Butler, then is Butler George Mason? Or maybe Butler is VCU?

:ols:

After now, it's "this year's CAA team"?

VCU deserved the win today, plain and simple. They were able to force Kansas to play their pace today of the run and gun offense, and Kansas couldn't keep up. The run and gun helped VCU get open 3s, which they made, unlike Kansas who looked like they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 2 for 22 from behind the arc is just embarrassing and I believe they air balled more 3s than they made.

Now VCU has to take on Butler, who's a very well coached team. I'll be interested to see how Stevens counter against the run and gun/full court press of VCU.

Personally I think Stevens is a better coach than Shaka and I don't see VCU rattling Butler.

I'm taking Butler, but nothing would surprise me.

No, IMO Stevens in the best coach in the nation. What he's done at Butler is astounding and unheard of from a mid-major program.

Smart on the other hand had fans calling for his head a month ago, when VCU lost 5 out its last 8 games and got bounced by ODU in the CAA Tourney Final. I don't think he was going to be fired if VCU had missed out of the dance like everyone thought they would (no one thought they'd be in the dance, not even any VCU fan). Now it appears as if Smart will be gone after this year, heading to a team like Tennessee and leaving before they have a drop off next year in the CAA with losing Skeen and Rodriguez.

I mean, he's definitely a good coach.

I can't put anyone above Coach K considering his overall body of work but there's something to be said for a guy like Stevens doing it without the talent that Duke can pull in.

I think he'll wait for a really big name (Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC level) to open up and he'll get grabbed really quickly. He's got a good deal at Butler and he's proven he's not a flash in the pan.

I mean, he's definitely a good coach.

I can't put anyone above Coach K considering his overall body of work but there's something to be said for a guy like Stevens doing it without the talent that Duke can pull in.

I think he'll wait for a really big name (Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC level) to open up and he'll get grabbed really quickly. He's got a good deal at Butler and he's proven he's not a flash in the pan.

It's hard to argue against Coach K, but I'll take Stevens right behind Coach K because like you said he doesn't get the talent Coach K does but is getting great results with lesser talent.

If I'm Maryland I'd offer Brad Stevens a blank check. I'm dead serious.

I don't see Maryland getting rid of Gary Williams any time soon though. Plus we all know Maryland's AD strong suit isn't in hiring coaches. Really Randy Edsall was the guy to take over for Friedgen?

Honestly I don't think MD is a big enough program for Stevens.

It's not. What's going to happen is that Calipari is going to screw up (once again) at Kentucky and Stevens will come in to clean up the program and restore it the right way.

You guys are probably right, just saying that's what I'd do if I were in that position. Gary hasn't done enough to warrant staying and when you look at it Maryland is barely a top 5 program in the DC/MD/VA area anymore.

Its not. The local CAA programs and Gtown are much better and even we out recruit Gary Williams and routinely beat UMD.

It's not. What's going to happen is that Calipari is going to screw up (once again) at Kentucky and Stevens will come in to clean up the program and restore it the right way.

Its possible. There won't be an opening at UNC/Duke/Kansas any time soon and I honestly think it needs to be THAT big of a program for Stevens to leave.

Archived