Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAA & Other Mid-Major Schools 2010-11 Basketball Thread (CAA gets 3 teams in: #8 GMU, #9 ODU, #11 VCU; VCU vs. Kansas (W 71-61), VCU in the Final Four vs. Butler L 70-62)

bushwack

First off there were no A-10 officials there. Since Richmond was the home team, CAA officials were used.

Secondly, that's if VCU gets things worked out, which I don't believe this will happen. The VCU team we've seen so far this season is the VCU team that we'll see for the rest of the year. VCU is going to be a streaky team who can be great when they get hot, but will be god awful like they were this past Saturday. They haven't been consistent this year and I don't believe this will change, which is why I don't see VCU being able to beat ODU or Mason to take the CAA crown.

Then they were horrible CAA refs. Anyway, Look at VCU's history in the past 5 years. The team is right where it normally is compared to the rest. Every team in the conference has had rough moments this year even Mason. Like I said this team will be much like a Mason of last year when things coming together. Besides you can't ever count out VCU in Richmond Coliseum. They were one three pointer at the 5 second mark from going to the CAA championship last year and probably repeating as CAA champs. 2 out of 3 players loss weren't even really playing last year. Sanders will hurt but this team is showing slowly they are filling the gaps. Like I said watch for VCU come alive in the second half of the season much like ODU normally does. Though this game could be just what they needed. A wake up call. The tulane game on Saturday will tell us something about this team.

I just looked at Mason's schedule and wow! Mason is going to have to win the CAA regular season handily (which I don't see happening), or the CAA Tournament to get into the Dance. Y'alls schedule is very weak. Besides playing and losing to NC State (by double digits), you all haven't or won't play anyone else who's remotely impressive.

Dayton's always tough. And we play them AT Dayton. But overall, yes, our schedule is softer than it’s been in a while. Not sure exactly what to attribute it to. Maybe the bigger programs are shying away from playing the better CAA programs. If you’re, say, Maryland—you have everything to lose and little to gain by scheduling ODU, VCU or GMU.

Dayton's always tough. And we play them AT Dayton. But overall, yes, our schedule is softer than it’s been in a while. Not sure exactly what to attribute it to. Maybe the bigger programs are shying away from playing the better CAA programs. If you’re, say, Maryland—you have everything to lose and little to gain by scheduling ODU, VCU or GMU.

Sorry I missed the Dayton game, that will be either the toughest or 2nd toughest OOC game for Mason this year, along with NC State. I also agree that larger conferences in the most part want nothing to do with the upper teams in the CAA. We've shown that we can play and beat almost any team in the country, and larger schools are afraid to schedule us because they know there's a chance they could lose.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge game tonight for ODU, as they face their toughest test all season by traveling to Missouri to take on the #10 ranked Tigers. ODU has a chance in this game, but they cannot get sucked into playing Missouri's fast paced tempo. They have to slow down the game with their defense and half court offense, out rebound a smaller Missouri team, and turn said rebounds into 2nd chance points.

For those Monarch fans in the Tidewater area, this game will be shown on WSKY Channel 4 @ 8 p.m.

GO MONARCHS!

Sorry I missed the Dayton game, that will be either the toughest or 2nd toughest OOC game for Mason this year, along with NC State. I also agree that larger conferences in the most part want nothing to do with the upper teams in the CAA. We've shown that we can play and beat almost any team in the country, and larger schools are afraid to schedule us because they know there's a chance they could lose.

Yeah, gave them a good fight but couldn't pull it out in the end. Oh well, CAA play starts Monday.

Yeah, gave them a good fight but couldn't pull it out in the end. Oh well, CAA play starts Monday.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game, but I really can't wait until January 8th when Mason comes to the Ted, which will be rocking that Saturday afternoon. I think that game will be a bigger game than the VCU game, even though the VCU game 2 weeks later will still be crazy like it always is.

If any coach's squad is in a shooting slump they should schedule Old Dom. Another team shoots the lights out v them. Sheesh. Can't really complain as Denmon is the real deal but English hitting turn around 3s? Gimmie a break, down 8 at the half in one of the toughest arenas in the country. As long as Bazemore keeps bringing the ball up, they cut down on the turnovers and make some FTs they'll be in this one till the end.

If any coach's squad is in a shooting slump they should schedule Old Dom. Another team shoots the lights out v them. Sheesh. Can't really complain as Denmon is the real deal but English hitting turn around 3s? Gimmie a break, down 8 at the half in one of the toughest arenas in the country. As long as Bazemore keeps bringing the ball up, they cut down on the turnovers and make some FTs they'll be in this one till the end.

ODU simply hasn't guarded the 3-point shot this year so far, and that's what caused them to loose to Georgetown. Yes, some teams such as Delaware and Missouri (so far) have shot great especially from the 3-point line. If ODU is going to win this game tonight, they have to step it up on the boards, right now Missouri is out rebounding them by 3 and ODU only has 2 offensive rebounds, which is completely unacceptable against a smaller Missouri team.

ODU simply hasn't guarded the 3-point shot this year so far, and that's what caused them to loose to Georgetown. Yes, some teams such as Delaware and Missouri (so far) have shot great especially from the 3-point line. If ODU is going to win this game tonight, they have to step it up on the boards, right now Missouri is out rebounding them by 3 and ODU only has 2 offensive rebounds, which is completely unacceptable against a smaller Missouri team.

Its not looking good, this is the sloppiest I've ever seen them play. Bazemore bricking corner 3s and Delancy taking pull up 18 footers when they have #s, bleh

Its not looking good, this is the sloppiest I've ever seen them play. Bazemore bricking corner 3s and Delancy taking pull up 18 footers when they have #s, bleh

I give all the credit to Missouri for showing up to play in the 2nd half so far, and their speed is ridiculous, not to mention Denmon is 5-8 on 3s, and the team is shooting 50% on 3s tonight. However, ODU isn't doing themselves any favors by not showing up at all in the 2nd half, they would have been better off leaving at halftime while the score was still respectable. I can only hope the team picks it up, there's enough time to make a comeback, but we can't continue to make dumbass turnovers and foul Missouri players while their attempting 3s.

ODU deserved to get their asses handed to them with the way the played in the 2nd half tonight. This team has way too much veteran leadership to make the mistakes and turnovers they did, especially when they turned the ball over 3 times in 10 seconds. 21 turnovers in this game is unacceptable and this team shouldn't have this many turnovers with the veteran leadership. Missouri was clearly the better team, but what I'm most disgusted about is that ODU didn't even show up for the 2nd half. I hope Blaine chews their asses out for this embarrassment of a 2nd half, and I can only hope this team learns from this disgrace and becomes a better team because of this blowout.

I know it's extremely early in CAA play, but who would have though Hofstra would be leading the division at 3-0 and be the last undefeated team standing. Big game this Saturday in Norfolk when Mason comes to the Ted to play ODU @ 2 p.m. I'm pumped for this game and hopefully ODU continues their mean defensive streak, but they definitely need to pick up their offensive play.

CAA is looking real good this year, with JMU looking really good ever since the loss to Georgia State. ODU is looking good Mason as well and then there's the surprise team of Hofstra this year

Yeah Charles Jenkins needs to hurry up and graduate. I swear that dude is like 26 by now.

If Mason wants to win and bounce back from the loss to Hofstra the other day we need to play more consistent defense and pass the ball better.

Another key could be Morrison staying out of foul trouble early on. We have a thin defensive front court and if he's out of the game a lot ODU will probably win comfortably.

Archived