Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A smart thing and a dumb one.

Art

Been away at my sister's wedding and am just catching up on the happenings since I've been gone. The thing that stands out to me pretty obviously is the story around the final cuts. I don't find there to be much there, there with regard to Snyder making the tiebreaking decision on Watson and Wuerffel. That's not abnormal or odd in the NFL for the owner to make those types of decisions. I don't see how it will impact the relationship with Spurrier assuming, of course, that he actually gives a few wins to Spurrier as well.

What stands out to me with the cuts of Watson and Wuerffel is just how smart, incisive and forward thinking one of them was, while the other was equally dimwitted, clouded and, ultimately, damaging.

Cutting Watson may not have been a popular thing with some of the players. Cutting Watson may not have been a popular thing with some of the coaches. But, cutting Watson was a wise decision when considering what McCullough is.

Watson is a good stop and start, darting style of runner. He is very similar to Duce Staley in style I think, though he lacks some of the toughness -- or at least some of the toughness displayed over such a long period as Staley has shown. Staley, though, is an unremarkable talent. He does many things pretty well. He tries hard. He runs hard. He's smart. But, again, he's unremarkable as a physical speciman and he can't be said to have as good a background as a running back as Betts.

Statements I've read here that say Watson was our best runner just shows an incredible lack of awareness as football fans. Watson was a guy you can root for. Betts was, if for no other reason, a far superior running back simply based on being an every down college player in a difficult football conference at the position. That experience coupled with similar athletic traits had to give Betts the nod. But, this isn't really about Watson and Betts.

Most of us assumed Watson would be retained along with Betts. For him to lose out to McCullough seems to have many of you shocked. It doesn't surprise me. McCullough is a remarkable athletic talent. Further, he's an IDEAL talent for this system. The ability to enter a hole and explode through, creating yards by the mere fact you are too fast for anyone on the defense, is something you HAVE to keep around to see if you can develop. It helps that McCullough can't be said to have no pedigree as a runner.

Unlike Watson who could plug away and make the most out of what his offensive line gave him, McCullough is a guy who could still punish a defense even if the line is not going well. The flashes of speed were just too great to risk letting him go on the open market. Most teams don't keep four backs. McCullough is a project, there's no doubt.

But, he is a pretty good clone of Canidate and in the end, given how similar they are in athletic traits, McCullough's ability to fit here and excel is far greater than Watson's could ever be. He and Canidate could fail, there's no doubt about that. But, you simply can't let a guy with the skills McCullough flashed go. He'd be snapped up in a second.

You have to sometimes risk something -- like a hard working, popular guy named Kenny Watson -- for a potentially larger payoff. I think this is a great move by the front office, though I'd have liked to have traded Watson if at all possible.

The decision on Wuerffel though is as dumb to me as the decision to keep McCullough and the gamble on his skills was smart. Wuerffel, we all know, is a very limited QB. I realize that Spurrier and Brindise are around to help Ramsey develop.

But, in Wuerffel you have, by all accounts a tremendous teammate. Stable. Comfortable. Spiritual. Further, it is always said that what Spurrier wants in a player at the QB position is himself. Wuerffel was that. And as much as you can teach a player and critique him and coach him up, you simply can't avoid knowing that having Wuerffel around, practicing and allowing Ramsey to see the offense run in real time how Spurrier wants -- at least in terms of the decisions made -- would have been invaluable.

That Wuerffel is no real threat to be a starter is also perfect. He seems to have no ego. He seems to be an excellent temperment as a backup. I'd have kept Rob Johnson as well, but, Johnson is a far worse backup type than Wuerffel. Johnson sees himself as a starter. He sees himself being able to lead a team. And he's been with a team where he was a major factor in tearing it apart.

The fact that Spurrier loves Wuerffel should also have come into play here. If there are going to be hard feelings from Spurrier about how Cerrato or Spurrier do things, it won't come from cutting Watson. It'll come from cutting his beloved son. That's what Wuerffel is to Spurrier. Given how little Wuerffel was actually a threat to play and given how comfortable Spurrier was with him, it simply would have made sense to keep him.

Especially considering Orantes Grant made this team.

Wuerffel is a free agent and can be re-signed if needed,I say no big deal.

Watson also cleared waivers so you can see why the Skins FO couldn't get anything for him.

All in all not really any moves that hurt this team's chances to succeed.

3 Days to go! :D

Resigning Wuerffel upon our need is pointless. The benefit to having Wuerffel isn't ever in the need for him to play. It's in the need to have a person of his character and knowledge around Ramsey. Again, I know you have Spurrier there and Brindise and the rest, but there's only so much you can demonstrate on paper and film before it just starts to run together.

Actually applying the knowledge in real time against real people allows Ramsey to visualize things differently. It's that benefit we lose.

i think the wuerrful decision comes down to the FO feeling that SOS might/would get the itchy finger to pull ramsey that much faster which would ultimately hamper/impede his progress for the future.this way SOS "should" stick with his main gun through the ups and downs of his 2nd season.ramseys' gotta learn sometime so i got no problem giving up a couple of victories this yr so he can gain playing time/experience for future runs at the title.

Wayne,

I've seen the same reports now as you are citing when giving the team's rationale for not wanting Wuerffel around. But, two things come to mind when I hear that. First, so what? I mean, if the front office is right on and Spurrier would rush Ramsey to play better to keep his job, is that really a bad thing? Competition should improve players and if Ramsey actually felt threatened, I can't see as how that is a harmful thing.

Second, and more important to the discussion is, I don't want the front office pushing moves that interfere with ANYTHING our head coach might want to do. If you don't trust the head coach, fire him. But, if he's your head coach, you need to let him make decisions on who plays and who doesn't. That means, sometimes, giving him the players he wants, even if you don't agree. When you're talking about McCullough for Watson, the FO can point to the fact that McCullough is such a talent we couldn't risk losing him.

But, when it comes to Wuerffel, the FO can't make that claim with Franz or Grant. Neither of those guys are guys you want on the field all that much either. So, get out of the way of the coaching staff at that point.

Could the decison to release Wuerffel simply be a financial matter? 4+ year vets, if signed to the roster week one, have guaranteed contracts for the season. If Washington resigns him after Sunday, his K is prorated over the remaining season. Worse scenario, if he's hurt during the season, an injury settlement can be worked out, rather than the remaining salary (and cap expense).

Good post Art. I agree whole heartedly about Sultan. I liked Watson but Betts is the better traditional back and he is still around. Sultan is the only back we have (maybe the only one in the NFL) that can be said to be a *replacement* for Trung. If Trung is hurt or reverts to the type of play that earned him the lable of a fumbling machine, Sultan gives us an option that can still threaten opposing defenses with blazing speed from the tailback position. Keeping him, IMO was a no brainer.

I have some mixed feelings about DW. I like him, and I agree with everything you said. On the other hand, the reports that Spurrier was considering moving him into the #2 spot were worrisome. After watching the Jags game twice I have come to the conclusion that it is not DWs weak arm that is his downfall but his small hands. He simply cannot hold the ball well enough to be acurate when he tries to put any velocity on the ball. All of his throws over 15 yards sailed on him. The worst was his throw to a wide open reciever down the midle for a sure TD. It was a simple throw that just a little velocity to hit his target but the ball sailed on him going out the back of the endzone instead. That said, he would still make a fine #3 and would be a great lockeroom asset. But if reports were true and Spurrier was considering making him the #2 QB then it may be best that Spurrier was saved from himself.

Glad to have you back BTW. And check out the post on the Bucs cover 2 D for a meaty delight!

i'll agree with you that the FO should have stayed out of these decisions and left them up to the coach, but we know that will never happen as long as the pirate DASTARDLY DAN captains the ship.if you sign someone they should get an honest shot at the team which apparently he did not.especially after resigning him during training camp when he could have gone to seattle.as stated many times,at worst at #3 he's another coach.

i love competition too.it definitely brings out the best in you.i don't think ramsey felt threatened as much as the FO felt threatened with there investment sitting on the sideline watching like last yr(maybe they had some pre deja vu???).

a couple of more wins might/probably would get us in the playoffs but would it be good for our future.DW will never bring the trophy home to DC so the future starts now and danny wants to sink or swim with ramsey.

i like the mccullough decision.i think it's gonna payoff huge in a yr or two no one will remember watson even though he was very capable just not special..

Wuerffel and Spurrier need to come to an understanding that Danny W. cannot play in this league. Not due to a lack of heart, determination or sheer will power; only due to the fact that Danny has a noodle arm.

Saying that, he should retire from actively playing football and take a QB coaching position with the Skins. That way he can be there to mentor Ramsey and be the big brother.

Danny live vicariously threw Patrick. Its the only way that you can live out your dreams and fantasies with your eyes open.

Nice one oldskool, too many fans are complaining about cutting DW saying he's good to have around Ramsey.

Fine.

But if we're so tight on roster spots we have to cut Watson to keep McCullough, then we can't afford to waste a spot on DW.

Make him assistant QB coach, Desperate Dan apparently isn't short of cash, he can afford another assistant coach.

Well, Spurrier won't be around very long if Snyder is going to power play him on the issues most important to him.

No coach would. Snyder sucks, but if he really thinks he knows something about football, he should have the nuts to coach the Skins himself. Instead, he prefers to nettle the coaches by instilling division by his armchair pseudo-football philosophies.

Snyder wants Spurrier to be something other than want Spurrier is and this will be disasterous. This will be Spurrier's last season if Snyder keeps it up.

OH, and thanks again Snyder for second guessing Coach! Don't you know, that's OUR job??????

Second, and more important to the discussion is, I don't want the front office pushing moves that interfere with ANYTHING our head coach might want to do. If you don't trust the head coach, fire him.

That is the feeling I have. There is an underlying problem if the owner and personnel guy feel as though they have to tailor the roster around the brain spasms of their head coach. Well-said Art.

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more with the philosophy that the FO just allow the coach to do what he wants with the football personnel. In today's NFL there are far more variables than "who does the coach like best to make the best team." Those most certainly include the salary cap, where more than one or two FO personnel are constantly trying to formulate not only a plan for the year, but a proactive plan for 3 or more years down the road. I think it sucks, but that's life in the NFL today.

Many excellent head coaches in the NFL are poor General Managers, and need that extra head or two or three around to help make the most informed decision with regards to the "talent" on the team. On almost every team in the NFL it is the owner who makes the final roster decisions when the FO and coach cannot agree. Why then is it such upheaval at Redskins Park? Because it's DAN SNYDER making the decision, giving just that much more fuel to the media to fan their sacrificial fire.

Heck, even pre salary cap, Gibbs and Bethard, then Casserly often had to dos about who to keep and who to cut. Those disagreements were always solved by JKC making the final decision. No one cast aspersions his way because the Skins won Super Bowls. Also, with no salary cap to worry about, JKC would sign a proven vet to play a role, if the need be.

I'm not a big Danny fan as a person. He's brash, arrogant, ****ey, and the epitome of nuveau riche, but I love having him as owner of my NFL team for many of the same reasons. He's willing to spend to make this team good, and he tries to get the most for his fiscal dollar. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to HIS team. And, hopefully, this whole thing about him superceding SS will be water far under the bridge in a couple years when the Skins become a Super Bowl contender.

Art, the trouble is I could all to easily envision a scenario where Ramsey has 2 or 3 bad games and Spurrier decides to give Wuerffel a shot to 'clear the air' and then we are back to where we were last year.

the fact Wuerffel took 4 sacks and looked middling at best in the last preseason game and Spurrier was back to 'well, maybe Danny is still in the running for the #2 job, etc." was a shot across the bow perhaps to the front office that Spurrier's stated commitment to Ramsey might not last 16 games if he had what he considered a comfortable safety valve to go to.

I agree that Wuerffel with a stable coaching commitment to develop Ramsey would be an asset on the team. Ramsey will develop that much more quickly with a good teacher around him and by all accounts Wuerffel is that.

Again, if Gibbs with his tendency to stick with his starters or Parcells, was the coach I would think this was the perfect scenario.

But Spurrier has yet to show us that he has tamed his mercurial temperament and willingness to fiddle/faddle with the quarterbacks.

That is not the way to develp a starting qb at the NFL level.

I remember when Randall Cunningham was a rookie in Philly and Buddy Ryan was bringing him in just on third downs to make plays with his athleticism.

While a lot of other people thought it was such a good change of pace I remember Jerry Rhome saying it was the worst thing to do to a young qb, putting him out there without context or a gameplan and asking him to create. He said Cunningham would never learn how to play a disciplined system at qb with that kind of coaching.

While Spurrier's methods are not as medieval, I do think his habits of handling qbs at Florida translated to the NFL are apt to be counterproductive in the long run.

He told us in the offseason he had changed and realized he needed to head in a new direction personnel-wise.

The move to release Wuerffel, while probably hurtful to Ramsey in the short run will probably end up being a boost to him as Spurrier will be less likely to pull PR from a game for Rob Johnson and will allow PR to learn and grow and make some mistakes along the way :)

Doggone you Art, you had me believing that the Watson move was dumb and the Woeful smart at the start. Then I read the post and you almost have me sympathetic to Woeful. As long as the player is not cancerous to your team, I don't find anything wrong with believing you're starter material. With all that said, I don't particularly like having Johnson on the team, much less Woeful. It really wouldn't hurt my feelings if both were gone and we could get O'Donnell. Time will tell.

Last year Ramsey and Danny seemed to develop a good relationship. You could see it in the way they were always standing near each other on the sideline. When Ramsey was playing, Danny was always one of the two or three people around him when he'd come over during a time out.

Danny is good for Ramsey. He's run this system nearly his whole life and can probably assimlate it with enough of a different perspective that he can tell Ramsey things about what's going on on the field that he might not be getting from SS or Brindise.

Danny is not a good NFL qb, as George so eliquently pointed out to us on Thursday night. He simply lacks the tools to play at this level. It's his mind and demeanor, his support and experience that is valuable to the team, not his arm.

Art, I hope this isn't the beginning of a rift between Vinny and SS b/c you're right, they did cut his beloved son, no one can argue that SS doesn't have a certain affinity for Danny and he's not exactly known for his ability to bury grudges.

Though my question is this -- How long will it take for Danny to realize he should be an assistant coach on this team rather than a backup quaterback?

I agree with the cutting of Watson. I liked him alot, he gave us 110% effort, but sometimes thats just not enough:(

As far as DW goes, I am not really sure how I feel about that, he would have been great to have around to help PR develope, but it scares me that he might actually have to play. RJ doesn't make me feel very good either.

Lets just pray that the O-line can keep PR healthy:cheers:

Come on Thurs:jetssuck:

Spurrier's statement on how he feels about DW, I got this from one of the links in another thread

I think what is so special about Danny Wuerffel is he is the

most special young man that I have ever been around in my life. All his priorities are just like that. It is his religion, his

wonderful family and then it is his team. He enjoyed winning the Heisman, but I can assure you winning the championships,

the SEC, and the national was much more thrilling to him than those individual awards, that young man has his priorities in

order. He is an amazing young man. I have never seen a player quite like him when a game is on the line and the ball has to

be just right here or there, he puts it there.

Time after time I watch him warm up before the games and I watch the other quarterbacks, and if you sit up in the stands

you think that dad gum Spurrier is playing the wrong guy. Look at that other guy zip it up the field. But when the game starts

it is just amazing how he performs out on the field. He gets hit a lot by everybody we play. I wish our protection was perfect

but sometimes it’s not. It is almost as if, I think we have all heard that country music song, “I need 10,000 angels to help me

make it through the night.” I believe Danny Wuerffel has got 10,000 angels protecting him every minute of every game. He is

something special without a doubt.

Now we know why he felt so strongly against DW getting cut

If you are the front office, the question you have to ask yourself is this: Was it worth it to damage your relationship with your head coach -- perhaps irreparably -- just so you can keep Orantes Grant or Dan Franz on the team? Of course not.

Hopefully Spurrier will be able to put this behind him and focus on winning with the team he's got. But that guy has a memory like an elephant, and it certainly wasn't wise for the front office to slap him in the face. If they cut Wuerffel because they were afraid Spurrier would play him, then they were basically telling Spurrier that he doesn't know how to manage his team. A self-respecting coach like Spurrier is not likely to appreciate that type of slap in the face. I just hope they can patch things up and focus on winning games. Bad move.

Art's right, on both counts. I like Watson a lot, and have said that he's the best guy we have overall after Trung. I think he could be a great backup for someone in the league (I would compare him to Dominic Rhodes in terms of ability). But Watson's not a 16-game starter, just a backup. And as a backup, both Betts and McCullough have better upsides.

On Wuerffel: he's a perfect backup QB for Ramsey, and better for us than RJ ever will be. Stupid to cut him when other, less qualified players made this team.

Archived