Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As a recieving TE... I think Fred Davis is better

downbeat87

He's faster and moe exploitive of the d, nonetheless explosive... Sm I alone, or does anyone think FD is quicker dnd more fearful then CC?

Cooley had an off night, no doubt, but that's a bit excessive in my opinion. He may be bigger/stronger than Cooley, but CC usually has sure hands and is clutch. Can't base this off of one game.

Cooley is the best route runner on the team, period. Santana Moss is second to him when it comes to route running in my mind, with Armstrong getting there. No other guy on this team can be totally blanketed by a DB or LBer and still manage to come off of it and get open. He consistently gets off press coverage like it's funny, too. Sorry, but athleticism is not the key to WR/TE positions in the NFL, route running is. If it was athleticism you wouldn't have the massive busts at those positions that you consistently see, and as we've just witnessed with Devin Thomas.

Oh, and you can't forget football smarts as well. Cooley rarely gets penalized, Fred Davis will much more often. But yeah, we've seen what Davis can do when given an opportunity to start. He has trouble staying totally focused when he's not "the guy" at TE.

Sorry my friend, you are in the minority on this topic. Davis has a ways to go, especially if one wants to compare to Cooley. Yes, he might be quicker than Cooley, but in order to be a good TE in the NFL, one must know how to catch, run a crisp route and block and from what I've seen in his first two years here, he hasn't excelled in these areas yet.

The reason Cooley was "off" tonight, is he suffered a concussion, and the coaching staff didn't catch it right away. He was good early on, and crummy after the concussion.

Not buying it. He had a bad game. His dropped passes happened in the 1st half. Any GREAT player can have an off game. Unless you know he got a concussion EARLY in the game (as opposed to the 3rd quarter like they stated), your statement doesn't hold water.

From what I've seen...Davis looks to be a better, more athletic TE than Cooley....Cooley has put his years in here...and he's a real cool guy with a great personality...So you're not going convince alot of fans that Davis is better

But I AM with you on that assumption dude...Davis is better...I saw when Cooley got the concussion and before he got it....he dissapointed me...dropping the ball at clutch moments

Yeah Cooley can shred tackles at times but I see Davis as the more athletic guy, the faster guy, and the stronger guy (yes..stronger than cooley)

I know alot of you will go gay for Cooley...ya'll really love the dude.. but the truth's the truth..Davis really impressed me out there tonight...Both of them serve a crucial role on our team...We just need to implement them BOTH in the offense more....Once we get more blocking up front...the combo of Davis and Cooley will definitely become evident.

(Keep a heads up for the Carolina game next week as well)

Davis dropped a lot of balls last year. He needs to fix that. As it is, Cooley is the more reliable option.

Redskins fans must be intrigued at the options they will get from their tight ends with the combination of Chris Cooley and Fred Davis, but although Davis flashed some playmaking skills, he was also guilty of nine drops, giving him the third-highest drop percentage. That’s in stark contrast to Cooley, who saw limited action but enough to finish with the fifth-lowest DP.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/04/01/dropping-percentage-study-part-two/

No I agree in terms of athleticism Davis is better than Cooley. But Cooley is superior overall because he's polished. When Cooley was drafted he led the nation in receptions.

My only knock on him is that a good LB or safety can cover Cooley; whereas Fred Davis is a mismatch for anyone, simply because of his athleticism.

I think the question is is davis better than galloway? I would rather see Davis in the slot CC at te AA and moss outside. Im sorry galloway is not getttn it done. As a starter (until last night) galloway has 8-139 and Davis in his limited role is 6-96 and I think we all remember the throw Mcnabb miss him that could have bn easy 40 50 more yards. Im not sayn gallowy doesnt have his place here and there but he's not excatly in our long term plans so give the kid a shot. I kno he prob doesnt kno the wr route tree but lets b real football is football go out out turn catch. Playmakers make plays and davis is a baller.

Sleepy's my boy he's young, he's talented,he's hungry ,he's humble and he can help us!!!!

At least we don't have to be worried about TE's in the future.

Yes we do.

Davis has one more year on his deal.

From what I've seen...Davis looks to be a better, more athletic TE than Cooley....Cooley has put his years in here...and he's a real cool guy with a great personality...So you're not going convince alot of fans that Davis is better

But I AM with you on that assumption dude...Davis is better...I saw when Cooley got the concussion and before he got it....he dissapointed me...dropping the ball at clutch moments

Yeah Cooley can shred tackles at times but I see Davis as the more athletic guy, the faster guy, and the stronger guy (yes..stronger than cooley)

I know alot of you will go gay for Cooley...ya'll really love the dude.. but the truth's the truth..Davis really impressed me out there tonight

(Keep a heads up for the Carolina game next week as well)

1+

The Redskins staff still doesn't trust Davis, which was evident on the drive at 2 minutes.

Against a Colts defense that is weak down the middle of the field it would seem that double teams on Moss or Armstrong would create opportunities for Davis.

But his number wasn't called.

With Cooley out of the game Shanahan needed to use the talent he has to make up the difference in productivity.

Instead of using Davis and going with the existing pla it appears the team shortened up the offense and went with targeted passes to Moss and Armstrong and one toss to Keiland Williams.

Archived