Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last year for Sonny and Sam?

Boots

I wonder if Trevor Matich would be willing to be a part of the broadcast. I enjoy listening to him talk football.

Me to, I'm glad they added him to CSN but I miss how he used to break down the film on the Fox 5 post game. I like Doc Walker but I like him on the sideline he can always give you the mood of the team during the game and that's big when you're listening on the radio.

Joe T now owns a team - his time may be limited.

A lot of the games I only get by radio (internet) and I do like Sonny - he is not a homer; not afraid to call the Skins out but he does seem to push Sam a bit.

I dunno - if you really wanted to replace them both - maybe Monk & Green - both inducted to the HOF in the same year - that might be pretty kool

Me to, I'm glad they added him to CSN but I miss how he used to break down the film on the Fox 5 post game. I like Doc Walker but I like him on the sideline he can always give you the mood of the team during the game and that's big when you're listening on the radio.

Doc Walker is the BEST sideline reporter ever he knows exactly what to say and what to look for listening to him speak is almost like watching the game.

Really? I'm 19, too, and I vividly remember listening to Frank Herzog. I'm still getting used to Larry Michael.

I remember faintly ; i also remember reading in the post about him leaving when i was like 11 but you can only remeber so much, brain is full to capacity with more important skins knowledge

Huff, IMO, is just lost on the radio. At times, he spews stuff that's just off the cuff and is borderline awkward. Huff is definitely one of the best B&G players of all time, but just doesn't belong the airwaves anymore. Someone mentioned Trevor Matich and I think he would be perfect in terms of analysis. Doc would be great too, but I think they want him working the sidelines. Who knows what really is going to happen. We'll just have to wait and see.

I agree that if Sam goes so goes Sonny. They have been best friends since they arrived in trades the same year with the Redskins.

I don't get this "he's too much of a homer" line from some of you. It IS the Redskins radio broadcast team. I don't want an impartial broadcast nor one that rips my team like Lavar and Mitchell both would. I want honest reporting and enthusiasm combined with some inside knowledge of the team and the players. I get enough negativity from the haters and the national media. Sonny and Sam ARE homers throughout the broadcast. But both, especially Sonny, are not afraid to be critical when it is appropriate.

And being a great player does not qualify you to do a radio broadcast; Art Monk being the perfect example. He is too quiet and generally hates the media or the spotlight.

Doc Walker is the BEST sideline reporter ever he knows exactly what to say and what to look for listening to him speak is almost like watching the game.

Yes he is but also a great analyst for this team. All his CSN and guest show appearances are so insightful. I would love him in the booth and tend to think he's being groomed for it. Just in the last year, he's been doing a lot more broadcast and radio work.

I like the idea of keeping it Offense-Defense...I would love to it to be Monk and Mann...

Mann concentrates so much on his articulation that he doesn't know what he is saying.

I would love to have Mike Patrick with Jeff Bostic in the fold, though I think Doc Walker brings great insight from the sidelines.

I would love to have Mike Patrick with Jeff Bostic in the fold, though I think Doc Walker brings great insight from the sidelines.

I like this idea. Bostic has done preseason games in the past, and he's excellent at observing the game. He sees more of what's happening on the field than anyone.

Trevor Matich is great, but he probably wouldn't take a job with the Redskins. He's getting national exposure right now, and he has a very real chance to parlay that exposure into a very high-profile job working the booth for the NFL. He could be the next Troy Aikman.

I would keep Sonny and punt Huff. I would put Sonny with Doc. Forget Lavar. I can't believe the Washington Post hired him. Sonny is still amazing when he will call a play and then the Skins run the play or he calls an even better play that the Skins SHOULD have run!! I got a chance to talk to Sonny one Saturday for about 10 minutes and it was an awesome experience. I tried to talk with Huff and he was a real jerk and he was totally different from his "on air" personality.

If you ever run into Sam Huff again & you want to get on his good side. Go up to him & tell him that "Allie Sherman is the greatest coach ever."

I have no idea if this will be the last year, but obviously the end is approaching. Thing is, Sonny is still sharp as a tack, while Sam is struggling. But it would be hard to keep one and not the other.

This is just an incredibly dicey situation for the Skins to navigate. They can't keep them on the air forever, but when they do decide to replace them, there will no doubt be an uproar. It has to be handled very, very delicately.

The good news is there are now people in the building (Bruce Allen, for one) who will handle the situation as delicately and professionally as possible.

Agreed. Sonny is insightful. He is sharp, and his commentary is colorful. Sam, on the other hand, seems to have lost his marbles!

Sonny, Sam, and Frank are Redskins' football. I grew up listening to them every Sunday with my TV on mute. While I think that Larry Michael is a decent play-by-play guy, it's not quite the same. However it never can be the same due to the passage of time. With regard to Sam Huff, he's my favorite on the broadcast, so I'll never call for him to go away. However there's no doubt that at some point he'll cease to be a part of it, but I think he's earned the right to do it on his own terms. Whether or not it goes down that way is another story, but that's just my personal opinion. Regardless of on who's terms it happens, I hope that the team honors him in some way, and allows the fans to say thank you.

When Frank Herzog retired from WTOP earlier this year they did a farewell show in his honor. I happened to be listening, and Sonny and Sam called into the show. The three of them talked on the air for about five minutes telling old stories and so forth. I pulled off the road so that I could hear it without the distraction of driving, and I laughed the entire time. In all sincerity, I had said over the past few years that I wished I could have heard Sonny, Sam, and Frank together again for a few minutes, so in that sense I can now die a happy man. If Sam does go away after this season (or whenever), I'd love to see them have Frank be part of whatever festivities they have. (For what it's worth, the last game of the season is against the NY Giants at home, so that would probably be an ideal game to do a Sam Huff Appreciation Day of some sort; I hope he's still here next year, but I'm just saying...)

It'd be nice to have a team alum in the booth to analyze and critique the team he played for, most radio networks not named the Redskins radio network usually carry a team alumnus or notable figure (Mike Quick / Eagles, Carl Banks / Giants, etc)

Joe T seems like the most proper one to replace departing legends

Archived