Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last year for Sonny and Sam?

Boots

For all those that dislike Sam Huff on the radio, I offer you this. It's from John Riggins show. I personally love to listen to those two on the radio. Sam makes me laugh.

link here:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/10/riggins_speculates_on_the_last.html

"This is just coming from me, and it's purely speculative," Riggins said on his own daily show, which appears on WTOP HD-3 and MASN. "But I would say this to everyone who turns into a burgundy and gold game on any given Sunday afternoon from here on out 'til the end of the season, whenever that game is played....Obviously I have nothing to do with that operation, but I think you're listening to the last year of Sonny and Sam. I think that when you listen to that broadcast this fall, store it. Store it in your memory bank, because I don't think it'll be coming this way again."

I have no idea if this will be the last year, but obviously the end is approaching. Thing is, Sonny is still sharp as a tack, while Sam is struggling. But it would be hard to keep one and not the other.

This is just an incredibly dicey situation for the Skins to navigate. They can't keep them on the air forever, but when they do decide to replace them, there will no doubt be an uproar. It has to be handled very, very delicately.

The good news is there are now people in the building (Bruce Allen, for one) who will handle the situation as delicately and professionally as possible.

I was trying to think of ex-players who could fill the spot if this is indeed their last year.

I can't really come up with anybody. I'm sure that Joey T. or Doc Walker would do it but can't think of a defensive guy. D. Green, Ken Harvey?

Theismann and Doc make the most sense to me...they have the media experience. Larry, Joe T and Doc would make for a pretty good booth. Theismann does say a lot of nothing, but at least he could step right in and play the part. Gary Clark's a possibility too.

Thing is, Sonny is still sharp as a tack, while Sam is struggling. But it would be hard to keep one and not the other.

True and while Sonny has a few good years left I doubt he could do that to Sam. Definitely need to keep the Offense-Defense tandem going. How'd you like to see B-Mitch and Lavar? Neither of them are afraid to speak their minds. Neither would be scared of the other. And you need someone to balance out Larry the Homer Michaels.

Why does there have to be a team alum in the booth?

True, there wouldn't necessarily have to be. But I think most fans would prefer it. I mean, the Nats have had guys like Ray Knight, Rob Dibble, etc. involved with their broadcasts because they don't have enough history to draw from. But the Skins obviously do.

True and while Sonny has a few good years left I doubt he could do that to Sam. Definitely need to keep the Offense-Defense tandem going. How'd you like to see B-Mitch and Lavar? Neither of them are afraid to speak their minds. Neither would be scared of the other. And you need someone to balance out Larry the Homer Michaels.

LaVar isn't likely to get a gig working for Snyder any time soon.

Theismann and Doc make the most sense to me...they have the media experience. Larry, Joe T and Doc would make for a pretty good booth. Theismann does say a lot of nothing, but at least he could step right in and play the part. Gary Clark's a possibility too.

I agree. Clark can be pretty dull, at least what I've seen on Comcast but then so can Harvey.

Yeah, Sam and Sonny are joined at the hip. If one goes, so will the other.

Doc would be great but Joey T is too much of a homer.

I actually wouldn't mind Riggins doing it, just cause it might start showing he or the organization has turned a corner. LaVar would also be allowed to but I doubt he'd accept it. With that said...I'm thinking Doc and....hmmm. I dunno. Joey T has a gig with NFL Network now, no way he turns down these prime time and on-air TV gigs. You know who I'd like though? Smoot. Have Smoot be our defensive guy, sure he's not a HOF or legendary player but he's a well liked and known player for the team. I think he'd be great, even if it'd never happen.

He is definitely just speculating. Probably try to get some attention on his show.

JoeyT could do it, but I also think he is too much of a homer. That is what is nice about Sonny and Sam, they don't mind saying things stink when it does.

I think Doc would do a good job. If we want a Skin D guy, what about Dexter? I also think Lavaar would do it, if it was offered. I dunno if he would get offered it though, with some of his comments in the recent past.

I would keep Sonny and punt Huff. I would put Sonny with Doc. Forget Lavar. I can't believe the Washington Post hired him. Sonny is still amazing when he will call a play and then the Skins run the play or he calls an even better play that the Skins SHOULD have run!! I got a chance to talk to Sonny one Saturday for about 10 minutes and it was an awesome experience. I tried to talk with Huff and he was a real jerk and he was totally different from his "on air" personality.

It would be tough to see them go. I still hate that Herzog got out of town. If they do end up going out this year all I have to say is....Mr. Rick Walker. His in game analysis is excellent. He would fill right in and not miss a beat. Still miss him on Raycom college games.

Well, I believe Sam should retire. The Redskins have been more than Kind to him and no reason to beat a dead horse for respect for him it's time to pass the torch to somebody else. I think Sonny is good for another year or 2. Sonny may want to turn it over as well eventually.

Archived