Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLB Playoffs Thread!

Big Weirdo

From what I'm hearing, without Cliff the Rangers have won only two post season game? Is that true?

"In their history the Rangers have won two playoff games, both on the road – at Yankee Stadium in the franchise's first playoff game, and in Tampa Bay (Tropicana Field) on October 6, 2010; they have never won a home playoff game." And only one of three teams to never make a WS appearance. :ols:

Correct. In 1996, the Rangers went to Yankee Stadium for their first ever playoff game and MVP Juan Gonzalez bashed NY to death and put the Rangers up 1-0. The Rangers had a lead in Game 2 and were close to a huge 2-0 lead in the series before eventually losing in 12 innings. And that my friends, was the day the Yankee dynasty of the 90s began. Texas blew a 2-1 9th inning lead in Game 3 and blew an early 4-0 lead in Game 4. The Rangers led in every game, but just couldn't hold on. But Juan Gonzalez still destroyed the Yankees in what still has to be one of the all time best division series performances. In four games, he went 7 of 16 with 5 home runs and 9 RBIs. He was such a beast for those teams, but the Rangers didn't have the pitching.

Rangers missed the playoffs in 1997, and in 1998 faced the Yankees again. Not only did the Rangers get swept, but they got shut out in two of the games and scored only once in the other. Oddly enough, the same exact thing occurred in 1999. Rangers get swept, being shut out twice and one run in the other. So that is 9 straight losses in the playoffs to the Yankees dynasty, with the last six games totaling two runs. I'm confident that the Rangers would have advanced to the ALCS one of those years had it not been for them having to face NY in the first round every time. It wasn't just Texas that couldn't beat them those years...no team could.

And THAT is why yesterday's win was such a big deal for Rangers fans. Although we have won Game 1 on the road before and the rest of the series was heartbreak city. :(

The Reds just showed their youth. "Take the first pitch, then swing at the second one." That's what they teach you to do in Double A ball. They could be a good team for years to come, but right now, they are too green to beat a quality vet team like Philly.

The Reds just showed their youth. "Take the first pitch, then swing at the second one." That's what they teach you to do in Double A ball. They could be a good team for years to come, but right now, they are too green to beat a quality vet team like Philly.

What this take the first pitch?

- Panda "double play" Sandoval aka Bengie "slower than molasses" Molina

What this take the first pitch?

- Panda "double play" Sandoval aka Bengie "slower than molasses" Molina

heheh. I wouldn't suggest that the Reds emulate the Giants batting strategies either. But when Halliday is throwing a strike on the first pitch EVERY SINGLE TIME, it's probably not a good idea to take the first pitch every single time, and then have to battle from behind in the count.

You don't think Roy could've gone another inning without giving up a run?

And I said I have ever seen, I'm too young to remember Morris

Halladay's performance was easily the more dominant of the two but in terms of greatness there is no comparison. Jack Morris went 10 scoreless in game 7 of the World Series. On 3 days rest. Against John Smoltz.

But when Halliday is throwing a strike on the first pitch EVERY SINGLE TIME, it's probably not a good idea to take the first pitch every single time, and then have to battle from behind in the count.

If Halladay is throwing strike one where the batter can do nothing but bounce it to second, then they have to take it and hope for a mistake. It just didn't happen much as he had great stuff.

Archived