Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Sally Jenkins; Washington Redskins need to take a punch, and throw even more.

WhoRUSupposed2Be

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/27/AR2010092705800.html

Washington Redskins need to take a punch, and throw even more

By Sally Jenkins

Monday, September 27, 2010; 11:56 PM

The main thing we learned from the Washington Redskins' loss to the St. Louis Rams is that it's going to take two more drafts to rebuild the team, not just one. The Redskins have now been beaten in consecutive weeks by two of the youngest teams in the league, and they've faded badly in the fourth quarter while doing it. That's not about scheme, or one or two positions on the field, or some weird curse-like malaise. It's about their inability to punch the other team in the mouth.

The Redskins are getting physically pushed around. The truest truism in the NFL is that players trump system. The problem isn't so much Jim Haslett's blitz-happy 3-4 defense, or Kyle Shanahan's offensive playbook, though both are a little too cute. The real crux is that the Redskins don't have enough core strength - and by that I mean the muscle, the hard midsection, that is the foundation of any strong structure.

They are paying for years of roster rot, the organization's refusal to build good young quality depth on the interior lines, and that problem has defeated every single coach who has come through Redskins Park. If you were wondering why Mike Shanahan's 2010 version of the team looks so much like Jim Zorn's 2009 version, there's your answer.

Quality line play isn't something that can be built overnight. There is no quick fix for it through free agency. It requires a two- to three-year commitment to draft picks, and patience while players get to know and learn to trust each other, and there is no accelerating that process. It will require a kind of patience that the franchise has not been willing to show in the last decade.

Everyone knows that when a good team has a bad Sunday, it has to be able to fight its way out of trouble physically.

[/Quote]

Click here for more.

This is some of which we already know, but glad to see we're not the only ones with an ounce of sense.

She makes a great point here: If you were wondering why Mike Shanahan's 2010 version of the team looks so much like Jim Zorn's 2009 version, there's your answer.

The Redskins are still the Zorn/Gibbs II team.

Actually, more gets laid on the doorstep of Vinny than Zorn or Gibbs. Really the only two players you can lay on Gibbs doorstep are Portis and Brunell. Other than that, Gibbs would just close the deal. But he relied on Cerrato and his colorful binders to determine who they chased or let go in Free Agency. And the draft for those years has Vinny's fingerprints all over them.

Shanahan and Allen haven't proved they can draft yet as most of our draft class is not on the roster, being beat out by scrubs like Heyer, Montgomery, Galloway and Williams .And only one is seeing any playing time. You can't rebuild a roster like that.

What do you mean?

We're talking about their first years here with limited draft picks currently set up the previous regime.

Actually, more gets laid on the doorstep of Vinny than Zorn or Gibbs. Really the only two players you can lay on Gibbs doorstep are Portis and Brunell. Other than that, Gibbs would just close the deal. But he relied on Cerrato and his colorful binders to determine who they chased or let go in Free Agency. And the draft for those years has Vinny's fingerprints all over them.

J. Campbell was also Gibbs' pick. He said as much himself.

We had 6 draft picks, of which only 2 made the 53 man roster. Only Trent Williams is making any contribution. Capers and Cook both got beat out by the likes of Heyer and Montgomery, who are journeymen at best. Austin got beat out by Galloway and Williams, enough said. Morris is so poor that he couldn't even make a practice squad. The jury is still out on Riley as he had an up and down preseason and is now injured. So as of right now I can't automatically conclude that Shanny and Allen will adequately rebuild the roster through the draft. Even Cerrato would usually hit on one draft pick which is what Shanny and Allen have done so far.

We had 6 draft picks, of which only 2 made the 53 man roster. Only Trent Williams is making any contribution. Capers and Cook both got beat out by the likes of Heyer and Montgomery, who are journeymen at best. Austin got beat out by Galloway and Williams, enough said. Morris is so poor that he couldn't even make a practice squad. The jury is still out on Riley as he had an up and down preseason and is now injured. So as of right now I can't automatically conclude that Shanny and Allen will adequately rebuild the roster through the draft. Even Cerrato would usually hit on one draft pick which is what Shanny and Allen have done so far.

Are you serious? A slew of sixth and seventh round picks don't make the squad and you are ready to call the draft a bust? We had one legit draft pick in round one. With that pick we landed a key building block to arguably the most important position on the field. We had no other legit draft picks ... and that is why we have no other legit young talent from the draft.

Landing a left tackle as good as Williams and Mcnabb with the second round pick couldnt have been done any better.

Two major holes on the team last season are not the reason for our struggles this season.

Shanny and Allen did the best with what they could IMO.

Mostly they don't lack muscle in the midsection, they lack HEART.

Not sure I agree with that .... maybe under Zorn.

Deangelo Hall I think we can all agree has never lacked heart since becoming a Skin. If he didnt care, we wouldnt have had that outburst from him after the loss last week. He doesnt lack heart, but he still gets torched by receivers a little too often.

I don't think Andre Carter lacks heart, or Stephon Heyer. But Carter can't play linebacker and Heyer is a dumpster fire.

It's not heart. It's talent.

Sorry, but you can't let Gibbs off the hook. He gave the go ahead for every trade the Skins made. The offensive staff decided they wanted Lloyd on this team. Williams wanted Archuletta. Gibbs and Saunders wanted to trade for Duckett despite the fact that Byner didn't think it was necessary.

Even more, Gibbs had a preference for vets over younger players. Gibbs knew he needed to win sooner rather than later. The price is, he left a team that needed to be overhauled in a bad way.

The NFL is the most over-analyzed sport in the world.

The Rams saw what our defense was doing, and adjusted their gameplan. They told Bradford to throw nothing but quick slants, and it worked. He hit every one of them, and we lost the game. That's just that. We failed to adjust and that has nothing to do with Jim Zorn, or the draft.

Saying our guys lack heart is ridiculous. You think they just don't care? Sure, losing is dis-heartening, but these guys are passionate, and will prove it against the Eagles, win or lose.

If Andre Johnson can't haul in that hail mary catch, or the Rams don't go up 14-0 in 5minutes....then all the sudden Sally Jenkins doesn't think we lack 'muscle' or 'core strength' or whatever. She just wants something to write about. Then again, all writers do.

Shanahan and Allen haven't proved they can draft yet as most of our draft class is not on the roster, being beat out by scrubs like Heyer, Montgomery, Galloway and Williams .And only one is seeing any playing time. You can't rebuild a roster like that.

Shanahan went against pretty much the entire football world, including the fans, to take Trent Williams over Okung in the draft. To me, that says a lot already so I disagree with them not having proved a thing yet. Our draft looks better when you consider we got Mcnabb for a 2nd and Carriker (who is actually the best player on our Dline thus far) for nothing more than a swap of two picks. Riley looks like he has a future here, as well as Terrence Austin. So yeah, I definitely disagree. Not every pick is going to be awesome.

As for the article, I hate to say it, but she's spot on. The good news is we still have 13 games left to change. We are getting physically beat, especially the 2nd half of games, and it is showing up on film when you study the plays without focusing on the ball. I think this is the negative effect of a lighter Training Camp... the positive being that they'll get better and have a better chance of being healthier during December/January (hopefully).

J. Campbell was also Gibbs' pick. He said as much himself.

No line to protect Campbell. Ignoring pressing needs for a long time. After being out of the league for 12 years, Cerrato could have presented better options than Jason Campbell and Mark Brunell, too... such as Kurt Warner.

Cerrato gave us Trung Canidate as a starting RB.... that is enough.

new system. Is three games really enough? Things still look promising to me. Yes, the defense needs work getting used to the new angles they take and Andre Carter is not a 3-4 DE.

The offense has THREE new OL. One didn't play the preseason (RT?) and one is rookie who was injured and the back-up LT is TERRIBLE>..

Sorry, but you can't let Gibbs off the hook. He gave the go ahead for every trade the Skins made. The offensive staff decided they wanted Lloyd on this team. Williams wanted Archuletta. Gibbs and Saunders wanted to trade for Duckett despite the fact that Byner didn't think it was necessary.

Even more, Gibbs had a preference for vets over younger players. Gibbs knew he needed to win sooner rather than later. The price is, he left a team that needed to be overhauled in a bad way.

I agree. There were some great additions but even my beloved Gibbs doesn't get a pass. Lets just call it how it is: the organization was a cluster ****.

Archived