Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ted Leonsis.

http://www.tedstake.com/2011/04/04/this-is-what-i-expected/

This is What I Expected

The team will learn to win and play together over time. We are young and up and coming.

The young players will carry the load.

We will have a very good back court.

Andray Blatche would be focused and play like a budding star. JaVale McGee would start to figure out how to play down low and use his gifts to rebound, block shots and run the floor.

Even though we are missing several players of our own, the team is gelling and has confidence and believes in one another. We are developing an identity of a young and hungry team and one that works hard and hits the boards and can hit big shots when needed.

A nice little run. It is fun to see. Enjoy it. We have upside. We will continue to improve over time. Go Wizards go!

---------- Post added April-6th-2011 at 03:16 AM ----------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nba/a-motivated-andray-blatche-has-a-career-best-two-game-stretch/2011/04/04/AFR2JbfC_story.html

A motivated Andray Blatche has a career-best two-game stretch

The whole time I was out, it made me see, don’t take nothing for granted. So when I came back, I just came back with a lot of energy, and I’m just happy to be playing again,” said Blatche, who missed 11 games in March. “I’m trying to chip in and help us get the wins we should’ve been getting earlier.”

In the first year of an extension that will be pay him an additional $28 million through 2014-15, Blatche will improve his scoring and rebounding averages (16.3 points, 8.3 rebounds) for the sixth consecutive season but he has had disappointments on and off the court that stunted the progress he appeared to make last season, when he averaged 22.1 points and 8.3 rebounds in the final 32 games.

His problems began when he broke a bone in his right foot last June and was unable to do much basketball-related activity. He gained weight, arrived in training camp out of shape, and developed problems with his left knee that affected his burst and his lift. With his shot getting blocked inside, Blatche was forced him to take jumpers, resulting in a 43.8 field goal percentage that is his worst since his second season.

Coach Flip Saunders said injuries have been the biggest obstacle for Blatche this season, adding that he hopes Blatche can work on improving this offseason instead of having to work on recovering from an injury.

“We talked to him. Next year, him coming in, it’s going to be important for him to come in in better shape, because I really believe, if he get his weight down to the 260s, he can become a very dominant-type forward in our league. Hopefully, he can see that,” Saunders said. “I think that he started behind the eight ball. In this league, if you get hurt early in the season, you’re going to be hurt the rest of the year, because it’s hard to come back because you’re going to be hurting. To his credit, he’s kept on pounding away. I give him credit, because it would’ve been easy for him, late in the year, to say, ‘I’m done.’ But he worked really hard to get back, did a lot of running. He wants to end very strong, so he can lead that into next year.”

With only six games left in the season, Blatche can’t make up for what he’s lost, but he said the Wizards would “try to get as [many] wins as we can before the season is over.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I have to admit, I enjoyed watching Blatche late in tonight's game. He was fist pumping after Prince's late 3 missed and was clearly jacked up after his two FTs put us up 4 late. He actually looked like he cared. If he could be like that all the time he'd be a hell of a player.

Wall was just ridiculous, missed FT late not withstanding. Kid is going to be a superstar for the next 10+ years.

i hink blatche does care, alot of you hate on him but you have to remember he was injured for most of the offseason..

Mcgee is the one where i get the impression he doesnt care( not so much anymore because there are only like 3 games left) but earlier in the season he would just jog around half the time, made me want to punch him in the throat

I don't know man in a lot of games I watched, Blatche would just sulk around the court. His body language was just awful. Now maybe it was because he was playing through pain, I don't know. McGee has always played with passion, it's his brain that's a question mark. But he's starting to get more consistent.

The big question is, if we keep playing this way and end the year on a good streak, do we keep Flip? The team is still playing hard for him, and bringing in a new coach could damage anything Flip managed to salvage. Still, it's just a measly three game win streak and the overall body of work has not been good. We'll see....

Damn near crapped my pants.

I'm worried though. It feels great to win but I can just hear it, "with the seventh pick in the NBA draft, the Washington Wizards select..."

I'm not that concerned where we select anymore.

Heck, I'm not even sure if the blue chip players are coming out anyway.

Lol at Blatche pulling the wool over people's eyes yet again. I just pray Ted needed to learn the lesson only once.

Was talking to some friends about the ineptitude of the Wizards FO yesterday and they're convinced that we'll give Blatche a big contract.

I'd probably jump off of the Verizon Center in protest.

Lol at Blatche pulling the wool over people's eyes yet again. I just pray Ted needed to learn the lesson only once.

This.

Fools gold. I want him to do REALLY well in the last couple of games....whatever it takes to drive his trade value up and get him out of here. The sooner, the better.

I'm not that concerned where we select anymore.

Heck, I'm not even sure if the blue chip players are coming out anyway.

They'd be fools not to. There is no guarantee of a draft in 2012 and if there is one, it's going to be a much stronger class. This class can handle a defection from Sullinger and Barnes, but everyone else needs to come out. If those two go back to school, this is your top 5 as predicted by DX

1. Irving

2. Williams

3. Valanciunas (only 18, might not come out)

4. Perry Jones

5. Kemba Walker

6. is Brandon Knight (probably comes out because Kentucky recruited Teague)

7. Enes Kanter (I think he goes earlier as the only center prospect ranked this high)

We have no room on our roster for Knight, Irving, or Walker whatsoever. We can't select them in the lottery, and Irving is the only one guaranteed to go before we pick if we're outside the top two.

So take Knight and Walker out of the equation and we're left with Dwill/Irving top two, Jones, Valanciunas, and Kanter as our options.

We can't pick later than fifth and still ensure we get one of our best options. Really, we need to be picking fourth so we can definitely get either Kanter or Jones. I think it matters a lot where we end up picking because there are only a small handful of really good players who fit in this entire class.

http://www.tedstake.com/2011/04/06/learning-to-win/

Read these quotes.

See the players’ confidence building.

See players developing right before your eyes.

That is what a rebuild is all about.

A new big three has announced its arrival - Wall, Crawford and Blatche. Big minutes - big productivity - big results. And wins, too.

We are short-handed and so players are getting bigger minutes to show the world what they can do.

We have two first round draft picks next off season. We have cap space.

We are young.

We have upside.

We are becoming an exciting team to watch.

The sun is shining out today.

Admit it. It feels good to be Wizards fans watching the rebuild unfold, yes? I am so grateful to you all and I appreciate all of your positive emails.

Thank you.

Out of those seven that Mcqueen just posted, the only one I want is Kanter. Seriously, do we even need any more of those types of players.

Edit: Maybe Perry Jones

I'd take a look at Valanciunas too. I've been watching highlights on him but haven't picked up a whole lot from them yet. He's got a good motor and plays hard. He looked like a really smart team defender who is tough to get a shot off against in the paint. He's a good shooter. Looks like he's got pretty good hands and passes pretty well. He'll get himself out of a jam at least. He's also got a good body type and a better body with higher physical upside than Kanter. Some think he'll top out over 7 feet and I think it was nbadraft.net that pointed out he's got wide shoulders with room to add a lot of bulk without losing agility. If he's 6'11/240 now I think he could top out around 7'1 270 by age 23 or so.

He's a center with a high level of agility and athleticism. It'd be interesting to see how you get him on the court with McGee. He's got decent range on his jumpshot so you probably play him at the 4 for the most part.

Terrence Jones also isn't a bad worst case scenario when you get down to it. I'd just much rather have Kanter or Perry Jones. I think I'd rather have Valanciunas too. He's got a lot of traits which are valuable and his upside is only topped in this class by Perry Jones's.

I'd be less likely to shake my head at all the Blatche hate if the people that want him gone suggested a replacement that would produce better results. We replaced Jamison that everyone hated for not playing defense with Blatche and we are worse as a team. I'm sure as hell not going to jump on board doing this again! Big take longer to develop in the league and Blatche for all his terrible play is the best option we have CURRENTLY. I'm all for an upgrade... suggest one.

(and it sure as hell better not be an unproven rookie)

Edited by Destino

Replace in terms of what? Blatche surely doesn't rebound or play defense exceptionally well.

His forte is supposed to be his offensive game and he shoots a terrible percentage. Many players can score 16 points a game if they have the green light to do so despite shooting a horrible 43% from the field and having a TS% of 47.

Blatche is the definition of a player who shoots you out of the game but just because occasionally he can pull of a cool looking behind the back cross over followed by a reverse layup, people get the impression that he's some kind of a decent offensive player. His offense is absolutely horrible.

I'm simply failing to understand people who say we will lose offensive production without Blatche. Our efficiency in terms of scoring has been the same with or without him this year.

Edited by No Excuses

I'd take a look at Valanciunas too. I've been watching highlights on him but haven't picked up a whole lot from them yet. He's got a good motor and plays hard. He looked like a really smart team defender who is tough to get a shot off against in the paint. He's a good shooter. Looks like he's got pretty good hands and passes pretty well. He'll get himself out of a jam at least. He's also got a good body type and a better body with higher physical upside than Kanter. Some think he'll top out over 7 feet and I think it was nbadraft.net that pointed out he's got wide shoulders with room to add a lot of bulk without losing agility. If he's 6'11/240 now I think he could top out around 7'1 270 by age 23 or so.

He's a center with a high level of agility and athleticism. It'd be interesting to see how you get him on the court with McGee. He's got decent range on his jumpshot so you probably play him at the 4 for the most part.

Terrence Jones also isn't a bad worst case scenario when you get down to it. I'd just much rather have Kanter or Perry Jones. I think I'd rather have Valanciunas too. He's got a lot of traits which are valuable and his upside is only topped in this class by Perry Jones's.

Has Valanciunas had any injuries that you know of? Honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of him.

I actually used to somewhat support Blatche until I started paying attention to him live. Go to a Wizards game and just focus on Blatche and then compare his effort with those around him.

Every time he was on the court, he was the laziest player on the floor. Just mind numbingly stupid, lazy player. I mean how many big men go on radio to defend themselves by saying that they are "finesse" and playing hard in the paint isn't there game. That's a ***** mentality for someone who is 6'11 and 270 pounds.

This team suffers practically no loss in offensive efficiency or defensive efficiency when Blatche is out. I will say that we shouldn't trade him for peanuts. His contract isn't salary cap crippling and I think there's a good possibility that he can be a good reserve player. Maybe the spot light isn't for him and a 2nd team role might work better for him. I think Destino suggested this a few pages ago and I agree. Trade him if you get good value but don't get rid of him if you are taking a loss in the trade.

Edited by No Excuses

I'd be less likely to shake my head at all the Blatche hate if the people that want him gone suggested a replacement that would produce better results. We replaced Jamison that everyone hated for not playing defense with Blatche and we are worse as a team. I'm sure as hell not going to jump on board doing this again! Big take longer to develop in the league and Blatche for all his terrible play is the best option we have CURRENTLY. I'm all for an upgrade... suggest one.

(and it sure as hell better not be an unproven rookie)

Why not a rookie? We're a rebuilding team whose greatest resource is time. Unproven rookies worked for both of our holes at guard. We need to go the same route to find long term solutions at our forward holes.

Sam Presti demonstrated how a team with a franchise player but low free agency draw can be built into a contender mostly through the draft. We need to be following that model.

I like Perry Jones, Kanter, and Valanciunas all as long term upgrades over Blatche.