Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

We have three picks next year. Our first, ATL first and our 2nd. We can possibly package the ATL first and our high 2nd for an outside lotto pick between 15-20.

With Jordan Crawford, we now have 4 rookies from the 2010 draft..

If we keep all of our picks for next year, we will have seven 1st/2nd year players on the roster. Wow ...

Depending on how the lottery shakes down, I would definitely start packaging picks together to make sure we end up in the top three. I'm hoping Perry Jones and Kyrie Irving go first and second if we pick third. I really, really want Jared Sullinger.

Maybe we'll get lucky and end up in the top three anyway. Lord knows we could use that kind of pick. If that happens and we get our hands on Sullinger, then I'd be willing to let Blatche go for pretty minimal compensation.

If we're picking in the early 20's this year, that might be in range for someone like Brandon Knight or Josh Selby. Grab one of those guys plus Crawford and Young gives us a studly young backcourt. Sullinger with our lottery pick gives us a post presence. Booker gives us a scrappy presence at the 3 who can start in a pinch. McGee and Seraphin are an interesting young rotation at the 5.

That's a very interesting young core. After getting all that, I'd just sit back and watch what happens.

Here's my take on Blatche:

- Puts up numbers for us. We'd definitely notice if we didn't have him just like we felt it hard when Nick Young missed a game.

- He'll always do just enough to make you think we can afford to focus on more pressing concerns for the time being.

- He's young.

- His contract is very reasonable.

- We could do a lot worse than him.

However,

- We could also do a LOT better.

- We need a tough post presence who can pile up rebounds. On this team, someone like Carlos Boozer would average 17 a game. Blatche's average of 8 is very subpar.

- We need a guy who can generate offense with his back to the basket.

- Javale needs the help of a tough PF and Blatche doesn't give it.

- Blatche has a cancerous effect on a young roster where he's supposed to be a leader (gets in fights with teammates, lackadaisical attitude).

- Not a winner. Seems like he's the type who's the top scorer on a ****ty team.

- Probably needs a change of scenery. Maybe even that won't be enough for him to make the leap.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Blatche's #s are hollow though. I mean someone has to score, rebound, etc. over the course of a game. He's just so inefficient and his attitude and body language are just crap. I was hoping he would one day mature and develop into a Lamar Odom type complimentary player but he won't ever be that good.

Blatche's #s are hollow though. I mean someone has to score, rebound, etc. over the course of a game. He's just so inefficient and his attitude and body language are just crap. I was hoping he would one day mature and develop into a Lamar Odom type complimentary player but he won't ever be that good.

That's not necessarily true. Remember the Orlando game Nick Young missed last week? John Wall scored 27 points. Then nobody else scored... Blatche had 15 and Hinrich was next with 10.

Wall is a stud, but if you take away Blatche and Young we literally have no one else that can score. We'd go from being blown out by 15 and 20 to being blown out by 50. We'd go from being out-rebounded by 10 or 15 to 20 or 25. It's not like we can afford to be so choosy because this is still a roster profoundly lacking in talent. Maybe Rashard Lewis will be able to pick up the slack for losing Blatche by next season. But I'd be anxious about losing either Blatche or Young until we had someone like Jared Sullinger safely in hand.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 12:48 AM ----------

Someone asked about Lucas Noguiera earlier. Here's a scouting report: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/lucas-nogueira

NBA Comparison: Tyson Chandler

Strengths: Brazil's next big basketball hope after Nene and Leandro Barbosa ... One of the most promising International players of the next generation ... At just 18 years of age, shows a great deal of potential ... An athletic specimen ... Shows tremendous length and great balance ... Runs the floor like a deer, makes quick moves. Can change directions quickly. Very springy ... A big time shot blocker using his length and leaping ability to be an eraser around the basket ... Excellent on the break where he uses his tremendous fluidity and speed to convert dunks ... Shows some offensive ability with a solid shooting touch and ability to knock down free throws ... Tremendous rebounder. Shows good hands.

Weaknesses: The big knock against Lucas "Bebe" is that he is lazy ... Sources around the team claim that he is a little bit difficult to deal with and already has a star's attitude ... Nothing can derail a promising career faster than a kid not willing to put the work in, so for Lucas, keeping his head on straight, continuing to work hard and focusing on his development is crucial if he's going to realize his vast potential ... Must continue to develop his upper body and overall strength ... Still extremely skinny. 200 lbs. Must bulk up, but shows wiry strength and should be able to add weight successfully without diminishing his agility ... Needs to keep developing his offensive game, prove himself against a high level of competition ...

Notes: Nickname is "Bebe" which translates to "baby" ... Also known as Lucas Riva ... Full Name is Lucas Riva Amarante Nogueira... Plays for Estudiantes in Spain. Was 2 blocks away from recording a triple double in his first game in San Antonio playing for Brazil against Puerto Rico (20p/12r/8b) ... Has 3 years left on his deal with Estudiantes ...

It sounds like he's a loooong ways away from being a player. I don't know. Are any of us willing to be patient for an international kid born in 1992? I don't know if I am. We're a young team that's on the up and up. But Noguiera sounds like he'd be better served to end up on a team like the Mavs or Spurs.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 12:50 AM ----------

The kid is also as skinny as a rail. His body is a long ways away from being ready for the NBA. That's a pick you stash away and don't expect to see a decent return on for the next three or four years.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 12:56 AM ----------

Say we're lucky and get a top 3 pick in the lottery and get Sullinger. I wonder what it would take to move back up into the lottery if Harrison Barnes started to slip. Say he made it past 8. Could a move up to get him be done?

SM...I honestly think that Blatche is a cancer and the sooner he's off the team, the better. I know that there would be a void left (if he was traded....and also depending on who we'd get back) due to his scoring being gone. It's an addition by subtraction scenario. I wonder if team morale would improve with him off the roster? I don't know how much of an effect it would have on wins vs. losses, but I can't help to think that things would be better not only in the locker room, but on the court as well.

We're not going to miss a chucker who scores on a 43% FG average and has a TS% of 47. Blatche is a possession killer, a chucker and the definition of empty numbers. Him getting his 16 points actually hurt the team.

If jackass was performing like last year when in the last 30 games of the season he averaged 20/10 on a TS 53%, we wouldn't be this horrible.

Someone asked about Lucas Noguiera earlier. Here's a scouting report: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/lucas-nogueira

It sounds like he's a loooong ways away from being a player. I don't know. Are any of us willing to be patient for an international kid born in 1992? I don't know if I am. We're a young team that's on the up and up. But Noguiera sounds like he'd be better served to end up on a team like the Mavs or Spurs.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 12:50 AM ----------

The kid is also as skinny as a rail. His body is a long ways away from being ready for the NBA. That's a pick you stash away and don't expect to see a decent return on for the next three or four years.

You really have to take the scouting reports you see on nbadraft.net with a grain of salt. The site serves a purpose but it's not like they have a bunch of basketball Mike Mayock's running it.

He is a project though and my comment about wanting him is a lot of tongue in cheek for personal reasons. Still, draftexpress.com has him as the 3rd best international prospect. They also don't have him coming over until the 2012 draft.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 10:29 AM ----------

SM...I honestly think that Blatche is a cancer and the sooner he's off the team, the better

That's my biggest beef. Forget the numbers, forget the stats. It seems to me that fans focus in on that way too much. Especially with the NBA. Look at the person. You will never win anything meaningful with Blatche have any type of significant role on the team. He is that type of player/person. Just watch him out there. It's really beyond me how any can defend the guy.

G.A.C.O.L.B., did u see Wall's comments last night?

"It's just so frustrating to see that certain guys seem like they don't have the effort to be out there, you know like they don't care."

Also...totally agree w. you on NBADraft.net....I remember they had DeShawn Stevenson's NBA comparison to.....MICHAEL JORDAN LOL. DX is the better of the two sites IMO.

Bibby's is a free agent in 2012 just like Kirk Hinrich. He's cheaper over all however. He's scheduled to make:

2010-2011: 5,564,767

2011-2012: 6,217,617

Hinrich was scheduled to make:

2010-2011: 9,000,000

2011-2012: 8,000,000

Maurice Evans (to the Wiz) and Hilton Armstrong (to the Hawks) are both on the last year of their deals.

Jordan Crawford is signed for a long time but is cheap:

2010: 1,042,320

2011: 1,120,440

2012: 1,198,680

2013: 2,162,418

2014: 3,206,866

For next year the Wizard drop 8m and add 7.3m plus a first round pick.

How so?

I currently see 1 & 1/2 future starters on this team. Wall & MAYBE McGee.... Jury's definitely out of Seraphim & Booker looks like a good 7th man who can come off the bench and supply energy and be the anti-blache. Nick Young is a good scorer, but that's all he brings. I dunno if I'd call him a long-term solution.

Is anyone the least bit excited about this upcoming draft class? That's the big cocern I would have. What can you get with a late first round pick in a draft filled with dog poo?

Is anyone the least bit excited about this upcoming draft class? That's the big cocern I would have. What can you get with a late first round pick in a draft filled with dog poo?

This. After the clippers pulled the trigger on the baron davis trade, a source said that the sole reason they made that trade was because of how bad this upcoming class is.

Per ESPN:

"The Clippers would give up a likely top-10 lottery pick to make the savings happen. '"That just shows you how much we hate this draft,"' one Clippers source told ESPN.com.

Edited by skinsngibbs4life

As a UNC fan, you don't want Harrison Barnes, he's not ready. He's been playing well lately, but he still has a long way to go. If anyone saw him last night, he was terrible in the first half, 0-6. I like him don't get me wrong, but he's not NBA ready yet.

Yeah, but few players in this class are. I wouldn't expect him to come in his rookie season and average 17/8 but a little ways down the road? That's certainly attainable. The things Barnes will do well from the get go are also useful, like playing good defense, passing well, hustling, bringing an upbeat and focused attitude to the locker room and to practices.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 11:28 AM ----------

This. After the clippers pulled the trigger on the baron davis trade, a source said that the sole reason they made that trade was because of how bad this upcoming class is.

Per ESPN:

"The Clippers would give up a likely top-10 lottery pick to make the savings happen. '"That just shows you how much we hate this draft,"' one Clippers source told ESPN.com.

Agreed, this is a weak class compared to past years. But you can still find value in it as long as you're not desperate for franchise type cornerstones. There are lots of quality role players to be had--high IQ types that either play excellent defense or have well developed offensive skills that translate to scoring in the NBA (Sullinger, Kanter, Thompkins, Terrence Jones). We need these kinds of pieces now that we actually have our franchise player in Wall.

We'll have a better idea of how good this class is when the international players are properly evaluated. I don't think we really know how good Valanciunas, Montiejunas,

and Vessley are. They could be nothing or one of them could be the next Gasol/Nowitzki. Montiejunas in particular has that kind of boom or bust quality surrounding him.

Later in the first round there might be some athletic freaks like Josh Selby available. I'd spend that Atlanta pick on Selby if he were there. The kid can shoot the lights out and it'd be worth it just to watch the kind of crazy crap he and Wall could pull off. He'd be short for a two but you could find a role for him like the Clippers did with Gordon and the Grizzlies did with Mayo.

Yeah, but few players in this class are. I wouldn't expect him to come in his rookie season and average 17/8 but a little ways down the road? That's certainly attainable. The things Barnes will do well from the get go are also useful, like playing good defense, passing well, hustling, bringing an upbeat and focused attitude to the locker room and to practices.

The potential is definitely there, but he reminds me alot of Marvin Williams. Williams left after his freshmen year, was he ready? Probably not. He was drafted high by the Hawks and has had some solid seasons, but nothing spectacular. Kinda seems like the same path Barnes would take, IMO. He could be good in the NBA, but if he stays another year and refines his skills, he could be great.

I don't see an obvious #1 in this draft. Looks like a role player draft at best at this point. More importantly for the wizards I'm not seeing a lot of big men. The Zards need a scoring big man and some brutes that can play defense and rebound.

Our front line is so soft:

- Rashard Lewis

- JaVale McGee

- Andre Blache

:doh:

The potential is definitely there, but he reminds me alot of Marvin Williams. Williams left after his freshmen year, was he ready? Probably not. He was drafted high by the Hawks and has had some solid seasons, but nothing spectacular. Kinda seems like the same path Barnes would take, IMO. He could be good in the NBA, but if he stays another year and refines his skills, he could be great.

Williams didn't even start though. Also, I doubt Barnes will go as high as second overall in this class and I was thinking of moving up to get him if he were in an 8-12 range.

One of the guys at SI talked to some scouts who thought Barnes was less Marvin Williams and more Sean Elliott. That'd be fine in an 8-12 range. He was a fringe All-Star and that's the kind of player that's your third best guy on a good, winning team.

Williams didn't even start though. Also, I doubt Barnes will go as high as second overall in this class and I was thinking of moving up to get him if he were in an 8-12 range.

One of the guys at SI talked to some scouts who thought Barnes was less Marvin Williams and more Sean Elliott. That'd be fine in an 8-12 range. He was a fringe All-Star and that's the kind of player that's your third best guy on a good, winning team.

Yeah Williams didn't start, but that's because he was a freshmen on a National Championship team.

Maybe moving up to get him in later 1st wouldn't be bad, but I just think it would be smart for him to stay another year. Maybe that's because I'm a UNC fan and want to win, but IMHO, I just think he needs more work. There's no doubting his potential, he's started to live up to in late in the season, but he just disappears in stretchs too much for me right now.

The Wizards move is kind of innocuous. I think they are better off but I don't see it making them a playoff contender. Maybe they find a sixth man or something.

Which isn't bad considering we didn't give up anything. For absorbing Hinrich's contract for half a season, we netted us two rookies from this years draft and another rookie from next years draft.

Three young and possible rotational players is a good deal.

Edited by No Excuses