Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

First things first, my man with the turban on his head. Get's props from me. He was into it the whole game. Now sure, I noticed him more because of the turban, but he still was rooting hard.

Secondly, Gortat and Wall were insane tonight. Both were making plays all game. Granted Beal kind of played so-so the whole game, he got boards and made a crucial jay late in the game.

Finally, is it me, or did Wall pass the ball too much when he was driving to the hole in the overtimes. The one play, when we were down two in the 2nd OT I think, I know he had the lay up and he dished it to Webster on the corner, who passed it to Beal, and Beal missed it. Luckily, Gortat was there to get the put back. (Also on that play, I swear one of the Raptors players boxed his own man out of the rebound lol)

Even though we should have won in regulation, I loved that game last night.

We've already played @Utah and lost. We're @Milwaukee:

Oh yeah you're right. Utah home Wednesday then @ Milwaukee Saturday.  Not too bad.

We get two more games against Milwaukee and Orlando each.  Two more against Bston and Philly.  24 games left and basically the only good teams we have to play are:

2 games against Miami,

1 game against Indy,

1 game against Portland,

1 game against Phoenix

1 game against Memphis,

then meh games against the rest of the Also-Rans in the East:

1 game against Chicago

1 game against Brooklyn

2 games against Charlotte

2 games against Atlanta

If we win the games we should, this team would finish with 48 wins.  There is no reason for them not to win 45 games this year.

How many times will JW lose his handle on the ball in clutch situations? I know he's amazing and I should bite my tongue but it drives me crazy how often he turns it over in the lane late in games.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to harp on it because we won and Wall played very, very well BUT those kind of mistakes late in the game can KILL you. It's almost a guaranteed 2 points the other way when he loses it towards the top of the key, falls down/takes himself out of the play, and then they already have a fastbreak with a man advantage.

It's hard to pick on something after a great win, but it is a really, really bad habit. Wall needed some amazing plays to neutralize a couple of pretty bad ones towards the end of the game. 

And about Beal, he was having a hard time most of the night,and I realize he is the guy at 2 and you still want him out there in big spots, but my god, when he can't hit anything and we're halfway through OT2, why isn't Miller in there with Wall? Beal wasn't doing anything productive. Just missing shots and turning over the ball.

First things first, my man with the turban on his head. Get's props from me. He was into it the whole game. Now sure, I noticed him more because of the turban, but he still was rooting hard.

Secondly, Gortat and Wall were insane tonight. Both were making plays all game. Granted Beal kind of played so-so the whole game, he got boards and made a crucial jay late in the game.

Finally, is it me, or did Wall pass the ball too much when he was driving to the hole in the overtimes. The one play, when we were down two in the 2nd OT I think, I know he had the lay up and he dished it to Webster on the corner, who passed it to Beal, and Beal missed it. Luckily, Gortat was there to get the put back. (Also on that play, I swear one of the Raptors players boxed his own man out of the rebound lol)

It's not just you, I thought the same thing.  I saw that play you were talking about.  He was thinking pass the whole way when he actually ended up getting a really good look at the rim.

I also felt like he could have been more aggressive late in the game after Lowry twisted his ankle.  He was limping around the court and in foul trouble.  Wall or whoever Lowry was guarding should have gone right at him to get him to foul out right then.

And Wall's late turnovers kept Toronto in the game.  Missed FTs from him and Gortat late in the game also made it dicey.  But I give credit to both Wall and Gortat for being CLUTCH down the stretch.  Gortat's put back and his blocks were some of my favorite plays of the season.  And Wall absolutely locked it down on D late and his drives and FTs carried us in that one OT period.

I had a concern with the play where Ariza got beat by DeRozan on the switch with Webster that ended up forcing another OT.  Well first off, DeRozan traveled so it shouldn't have counted.  But I didn't like taking Gortat out right there.  He had been killing it and protecting the rim like a beast.  We went with a no big lineup and Toronto ended up scoring at the rim.  

This kind of no big final possession substitution is the reason Indy and San Antonio both lost crucial games to Miami in the postseason.  I don't know if I like the strategy.  Too much downside of giving up an easy shot at the rim IMO.

then meh games against the rest of the Also-Rans in the East:

1 game against Chicago

1 game against Brooklyn

2 games against Charlotte

2 games against Atlanta

If we win the games we should, this team would finish with 48 wins.  There is no reason for them not to win 45 games this year.

Those are absolutely the key games. The Miami and Indy games, while we'd love to win them, we certainly won't leapfrog those teams. The list I quoted is where we make a difference in our playoff picture.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to harp on it because we won and Wall played very, very well BUT those kind of mistakes late in the game can KILL you. It's almost a guaranteed 2 points the other way when he loses it towards the top of the key, falls down/takes himself out of the play, and then they already have a fastbreak with a man advantage.

It's hard to pick on something after a great win, but it is a really, really bad habit. Wall needed some amazing plays to neutralize a couple of pretty bad ones towards the end of the game. 

And about Beal, he was having a hard time most of the night,and I realize he is the guy at 2 and you still want him out there in big spots, but my god, when he can't hit anything and we're halfway through OT2, why isn't Miller in there with Wall? Beal wasn't doing anything productive. Just missing shots and turning over the ball.

I had a little more of a problem with Webster's play last night actually.  Beal still looked fresh and loose at the end of the game and he really worked himself into the game late.  Webster was a bit of a mess offensively and was a part of some costly mistakes.  

He did have that really timely perimeter drive late in the game when we desperately needed the points and he was a part of a really timely steal that I think led to a fast break score just when we needed it.

But damn if he didn't miss a bunch of really good looks too.  I was like come on Webster.  You've got one job!  I like Webster, one of my absolute favorite FA finds.  But I've got to say that he hasn't had as good a season as I was hoping and he's been struggling to make an impact the last several games.  Just been invisible mostly.

We're going to have to let Ariza walk this summer.  We are really going to need Webster to step up next year.  We're going to need a lot of shooting and scoring from him.

Marcin has been such a shot in the arm for the Wiz. Loving this guy. His effort and his attitude are through the roof.

I was SO tired last night and kept thinking I could get some sleep soon no matter how it ends but <BAM> OT... then another... then ANOTHER! 

• Like 1

Awesome game late night, true grit til the end. Gotta say on the comment about going small that I was basically begging Wittman to take Beal out and put Miller back in with Wall being hot. Being forced to play without a center may have opened the door a little for a new wrinkle (or maybe I just want to see some reason to see our #3 overall pick on the floor for something)

Nav Bhatia is the dude with the turban. I just googled it and came up. Pretty interesting story he had. Went to Canada from India in 1984, and by 1989, he brought a car dealership. Now it's one of the biggest dealerships in Canada. Good for him...

However, good for me that his team lost.

Did any of y'all watch Inside the NBA? Charles Barkley is on our nuts man lol. Granted, he has been on board since the beginning of the season, but tell that man to hop off and take a breath. My goodness lol...

But yeah, they were saying that since Nene is out, Gortat would be more aggressive and by him scoring more points, it will help motivate him more.

Talking about Dirk in the NBA Mt Rushmore thread:

It won't happen, but I would love for him to come and finish his career in DC.  Dude is as low maintenance a HoFer as you'll ever get.  Negotiates his own contacts.  No drama.  Just elevates his team.

He's going to retire in Dallas IMO.  And we'd have to move Nene to get Dirk.  And he'd have to take a big paycut.  But man, a player like him could give us a shot at a ring.  He's quietly been one of the best players in the league this year.  And his team is winning in a brutal conference even though would any of you trade rosters with Dallas?  I'd trade coaches in a heartbeat but not a chance in hell I'd trade rosters.

As an NBA fan, it'd be as big a travesty if Dirk left Dallas as it would have been if Duncan left San Antonio or Russell had left Boston.  As much of a travesty as it was when Jordan left Chicago.

But it would be cool to have him.

Anyone else notice how lively this thread is and how dead the Caps thread is? We still have the same regulars posting as they were even when we were contending for the worst losing streak in NBA history. "Rock the Red" doesn't really work when the team sucks huh. What a bandwagon fanbase. Heck I've noticed people who used to make fun of the Wizards now cheering and rooting. The hockey bandwagon might be shifting to the Wizkids.

Edited by No Excuses

Anyone else notice how lively this thread is and how dead the Caps thread is? We still have the same regulars posting as they were even when we were contending for the worst losing streak in NBA history. "Rock the Red" doesn't really work when the team sucks huh. What a bandwagon fanbase.

Come on. Those folks are still fans. But how many times can you complain about the same thing? A lot! Seriously, just because they aren't posting a ton doesn't make them less of fans. I was in this thread ranting over Randy. I still think a coaching upgrade would have equaled at least 4-5 more wins by this point. 

Come on. Those folks are still fans. But how many times can you complain about the same thing? A lot! Seriously, just because they aren't posting a ton doesn't make them less of fans. I was in this thread ranting over Randy. I still think a coaching upgrade would have equaled at least 4-5 more wins by this point. 

I've resigned myself to the fact that we'll be stuck with Dumb & Dumber for 2-3 more years.

We're just good enough to get Ernie & Witt extensions, not quite good enough to make any serious noise.

Edited by StillUnknown

Come on. Those folks are still fans. But how many times can you complain about the same thing?

I disagree but I never really believed most of those people were fans to begin with. There are many people in this area who latch onto winning teams temporarily and abandon them (or even make fun of them) depending on circumstances.

I still see Caps gear all over the area and especially in the gym. I think hockey fans are a different breed. But I'm not doubting their fandom.

Me?......I quit on the NHL during the last lockout. I think the owners and players are jerks. I think the commish is doing an awful job and hurting the league long term.

Hockey is my 4th sport that I like to watch. (First sport if it is live though.) I don't follow the Caps like I do the Skins and Wiz, but I still Rock The Red no matter what. I just don't want to talk about them because honestly, I don't have much to say until they get pass the second round. 

DC is becoming a bandwagon town. I hate to say it, but it is. You very rarely see any loyal fans any more. I can't tell you how many people around here cheer for every NBA team except the Wizards. Y'all know. Y'all see the home games. You have seen how the crowd cheers more for the other teams. It sickens me.

whoops, i copied the wrong URL, it was this GIF http://gfycat.com/ExhaustedImpracticalHoneyeater

Gifs are an image. Just post it like you would post an image.