Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This is the third consecutive time we've lost to a bottom-feeding team (Cleveland, Charlotte). I don't care if Nene & Beal were out; Ariza & Webster were back, and they were missing guys too. We had no business losing this game, and this isn't the first time that's happened. I understand that everyone loses to a bad team on occasions (mighty OKC lost to us back when Wall was out), but this is becoming a disturbing trend. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm no longer sure we're a playoff team when healthy. Since Wall returned we're 6-14 on the road.

Edited by TheItalianStallion

We just don't know how to win on the road. We're a totally different team when we travel. The defense tends to stay behind, the turnovers mount and offensive efficiency plummets, the bench will actually look promising and contribute at home but then they're usually terrible on the road.

To be good it's just assumed you win at home. Winning on the road is what separates the legitimately good teams from the middle of the road teams. If our record was 0-0 and everyone was healthy today, we'd still have a ways to go. After we finally put together a complete season and break .500 and make the playoffs, our next great challenge is going to be learning to win on the road.

---------- Post added March-30th-2013 at 12:39 AM ----------

John has already scored 100 points this week and has a fourth game on Sunday. He's been a fantasy monster.

How exactly can a player not be in the act of shooting on an alley oop, when fouling the the dunker not the passer?

---------- Post added March-31st-2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

Beal is a huge upgrade from Temple. I really like Wall, Beal, and Webster together. A star at the 4 and 5 would really give this team a chance to make some noise. They'd still need to improve some things but any team that can score shoot, score in the paint, and defend is going to do pretty well.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/david_aldridge/04/01/morning-tip-seattle-vs-sacramento-for-kings-future-can-clippers-contend-john-wall-max-player-dirk-nowitzki-q-and-a/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3b#nobody

Under the "Nobody Asked Me" portion, there is some really good info about Wall and where he sees himself in the game.

Edited by StillUnknown

Wow. David Aldridge nailed it. I think that was one of the best national media takes on Wall that I've read. He actually did research and delved into the situation to figure out what's going on. Thanks for sharing that.

Wow. David Aldridge nailed it. I think that was one of the best national media takes on Wall that I've read. He actually did research and delved into the situation to figure out what's going on. Thanks for sharing that.

DA is one of the best. Even when I disagree with him, I never get the feeling he's just throwing **** together for page views.

---------- Post added April-1st-2013 at 04:58 PM ----------

"]Zach Lowe interviews Bradley Beal

On Sunday, Bradley Beal played in only his fourth game since March 3, and his first since March 20, after being sidelined with ankle issues. His return and continued chemistry with John Wall — playing like he really, really wants that max contract — were basically the only reasons to watch one of those sad late-season games between lottery teams when Toronto visited Washington on Sunday. Beal did not disappoint, racking up 24 points on 8-of-14 shooting, including a blistering 6-of-9 from 3-point range, with a good chunk of those 3’s coming when Wall ran a high pick-and-roll and kicked to Beal on the weak-side corner.

That's basically what Washington envisioned when they snagged Beal with the no. 3 pick in last year’s draft. But Wall began the season injured, and Beal had to carry too much, too soon as a key cog of what was then the league’s worst offense by a considerable margin. When the calendar flipped to 2013, Beal was shooting under 40 percent overall and a hair below 30 percent from 3-point range; critics were ready to dub him the latest Washington draft bust.

But he's been on fire since Wall’s return. He’s shooting 48 percent overall, and 50.8 percent percent from 3, when he’s on the floor with Washington’s franchise point guard, and a much higher share of his attempts in those Wall minutes come from the tastiest spots — the corners and the restricted area, per NBA.com.

After his rousing return, Beal sat down (or stood up, actually) for an extended one-on-one with Grantland.

What follows is an edited transcript of our chat.

more in the link

Are you a Rams fan then, too? Because the Redskins are sort of popular here.

Definitely. But Baltimore is actually my favorite team.

probably should've kept that nugget to himself

Edited by StillUnknown

I still see no need to give him a max extension this summer. I'd offer him what Holiday got now and it's his choice. Take the guaranteed money now or gamble on earning a 5 year max extension next season.

Wall and Beal are going to rip the EC a new *******. Those two are going to be sensational by their mid 20s.

All comes down to the GM. The Nets have DWill, Joe Johnson, and Lopez and no one is scared of them. Need Gunfeld fired ASAP.

All comes down to the GM. The Nets have DWill, Joe Johnson, and Lopez and no one is scared of them. Need Gunfeld fired ASAP.

Isn't it bizarre that, after spending all kinds of money on those three, DWill and Joe Johnson are the two who are underperforming? Johnson heinously so. Prokhorov doesn't really care about overspending, but I think it's creating a bad culture paying max money to a guy with a 13.6 PER just like it was for us with Shard. Brooklyn actually has something cooking with Lopez and DWill, but I think Joe Johnson is going to screw them over.

I love 2K13. I did a serpentine fantasy draft with the 14th pick and got Wall, Joakim Noah, Beal, Thomas Robinson, Ersan Ilyasova, Tristan Thompson, Tobias Harris, and Martell Webster in that order. Then I traded Thompson and Harris and a 2014 first round pick for Paul George.

They need to update the ratings for Beal and Wall though. There is no way Beal should be a couple points overall lower than Dion Waiters and MKG nor should he be rated the same as Harrison Barnes and TRob. They haven't changed anything about him all year. Same with Wall, except they did take away his "acrobat" signature skill. They need to give him the "chase down artist" and "dimer" signature skills. And it's plain stupid that they've got his overall rating below Brandon Jennings and Steve Nash among others...

Isn't it bizarre that, after spending all kinds of money on those three, DWill and Joe Johnson are the two who are underperforming? Johnson heinously so. Prokhorov doesn't really care about overspending, but I think it's creating a bad culture paying max money to a guy with a 13.6 PER just like it was for us with Shard. Brooklyn actually has something cooking with Lopez and DWill, but I think Joe Johnson is going to screw them over.

They are stuck with Joe Johnson making over 20 million per year for three more seasons. Ouch. Looks like he's having his worst season since he was with Phoenix.

The Wizards need to be smarter and put together a group that can stay together and compliment each other. Beal and Wall work very well together, imagine what they'd look like if the Wizards ran a offense a little more advanced than give the ball to Wall and let him create. They need a interior scorer to really put it all together and give them a chance to beat the better teams in the East. I don't think they'll beat the Heat though... that super team will be defeated by the luxury tax. If Bosh is the one that has to go, I'd welcome him in DC.