Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Jesus Christ...I just realized the Wiz only have 1 road win all year.

Now that is odd to me for someone that follows the Wiz so closely.

I was just talking about this earlier today with a buddy.

My lady went to the Bobcats/Pacers game tonight and they (Bobcats) are terrible too.

Lot of work to do to get these teams headed in the right direction.

When you suck all the games tend to blend together. And I'm not spending too much time looking at the standings.

Understandable. But as bad as certain teams are, even I was shocked about the one road win at this point. There are a lot of crappy teams in the east. To only win one this far,,,Ugh.

Not hating on your team, just amazed that it happened.

Awesome. Don Maclean is the post-game color man.

I missed this game to install a showerhead...

They just replayed Gordon's 3 to send it to OT. Got McGee up with a pump fake? On a 6 foot guard?

Wall had a knockdown j on a fastbreak that totally reminded me of watching Sam Cassell...

Of all the major sports, I think the NBA then the NHL are the toughest.

Hopefully the Caps bring it home.

The NBA has the least amount of parody. I guess in that sense it's the toughest to win a championship if you're a have not since it's pretty much never happened.

But I definitely think it's much, much harder to build an NFL team than an NBA team. You can get lucky with one or two lopsided trades in the NBA and go win a championship the next year or the year after (Laker/Celtics come to mind). In the NFL it takes years of good drafting and savvy free agency additions to turn a loser into a winner. It makes sense, you're looking for 22 regular starters instead of five.

Awesome. Don Maclean is the post-game color man.

I missed this game to install a showerhead...

They just replayed Gordon's 3 to send it to OT. Got McGee up with a pump fake? On a 6 foot guard?

Wall had a knockdown j on a fastbreak that totally reminded me of watching Sam Cassell...

In all honesty, I can't blame McGee for that. I mean, its 5 seconds to go. I'm glad he didn't foul. McGee and Jeffers went for that block and both missed. It was just a well timed shot. And I thought it was beautiful. Too bad it was a backbreaker.

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 09:31 AM ----------

Crawford has played one hell of a game, but what the hell was he thinking with that shot?

we're all wondering that. I'm proud of my team though. They played a hell of a game though. And I think Crawford and Wall are developing chemistry. I like that. Now hopefully Crawford and Young can develop chemistry. I think Crawford or Young can makes a nice backup PG/SG and solidify our guards by bringing some points off the bench.

The Pistons were the ONLY team in NBA history to beat the system.

Nuff said.

Tim Duncan hasn't been a top five player for some time now and the Spurs are still the best team in the league.

Was D Wade a top 5 player when Miami won it in 2006? Maybe, but I think you can make a convincing argument he wasn't at that point: (Nash/Kobe/Iverson/LeBron/Nowitzki/Arenas/Garnett.

Did the Celtics have a top 5 player when they won it? I think it'd be a hell of a stretch to say Pierce or Garnett was.

NBA teams that contend or eventually win it do so because they are greater than the sum of their parts. Teams like the Mavs, Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, and Bulls all fall in this category. The only really top team this year that isn't a great team yet is Miami and they probably won't win because of it. So of that big 5, the only teams that have a top 5 player right now are the Bulls and the Lakers. But both of those teams would still be great if neither Kobe nor Rose were top 5 individual players (and I'm not even entirely certain that both are: Durant/LeBron/Wade/Howard/Amare could all be in that discussion).

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

Yeah because one is top 5 in the league, and one is hopefull.

Your point?

You're comparing a third year starter to a rookie. Compare Rose the rookie to Wall and Wall is better.

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 10:00 AM ----------

In case you don't watch basketball. The Bulls are a fraud. Rose is the real deal. They suck otherwise.

That's silly. The Bulls are an excellent team despite your condescending remarks. They've got a full compliment of quality starters and role players where everyone fits. The way they were built makes sense. They've got an excellent front court, a dangerous scoring wing, and a star point guard. They've got shooters and stoppers on the bench that let them handle any situation that springs up. Even if Rose got hurt at the beginning of the year, this team would still have the quality size and depth to make the playoffs.

It takes nothing away from Rose to acknowledge that his team is good. He is part of that team.

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 10:05 AM ----------

can make an argument on the bad boys pistons team

79 Sonics

78 Bullets

70 Knicks

I don't think you have to go back that far. There have been lots of instances this decade where the elite teams of the league haven't had top five players. Basketball is still a team sport and the best teams don't have to have the best players to kick ass. If that wasn't true, then LeBron James would have four or five rings by now.

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 10:13 AM ----------

McGee has played great today

I'm proud of the effort given by all our young'urns yesterday. But 51 minutes from Javale is not an ideal situation. Doesn't he have serious asthma or something? How does Seraphin rack up 5 fouls in 8 minutes? Couldn't we have seen a little more of Ndiaye? Bizarre as it is to say, I think we missed Hilton Armstrong that game.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Don't care about years but watching Jordan Crawford, I'm not offering more than 5 million. Crawford doesn't have Nicks efficiency yet but I expect him to turn into a more well rounded player. Best case would be 4 years at 18 million total, possibly a front loaded contract.

Part of the reason I wanted Young back was because I didn't think we had another option on the roster who could adequately fill the SG role and no one in FA was worth bringing in. Seeing that Crawford shows a lot of potential as a scorer and is already a good rebounder/passer, I'm more easy on "potentially" losing Young.

I'd still like to bring him back because I think a back court rotation of Wall, Crawford and Young can challenge the best in the league.

Edited by No Excuses

Yup, im leaning the same. I'm just worried we're gonna give him something like Blatche got: 5 years at $7 mil per. Can you imagine if NY goes the same way? Shows up in a contract year and then folds after he's paid. Having two players under long term deals like that could be devestating. I think NY is gonna decide Ernie's future here.

I don't think $7 mil per year is his worth anymore. The current free agent situation of the league is that more and more teams would rather have cap flexibility to make huge splashes than pull a Detroit and sign a bunch of role players to moderate contracts. Especially since Young is a 2 guard and teams generally value big men a lot more then guards for over 6 Mil contracts.

I definitely see Young coming back because it goes with Ted's "building from the draft" strategy. Young is a drafted guy who has so far shown that at worst he can be a defend and shoot the 3 ball guy and on some nights can be the most dominant scorer on the floor.

I'm more concerned about McGee's contract extension. I was reading Nate McMillian's quotes about McGee post game and he was just gushing about how awesome McGee is. I wonder how many other coaches/GM's feel that way and what his market value will be set at. I could really see him getting close to 10 million which is one of the reasons I'm open to trading him.

Edited by No Excuses