Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

People need to chill with the over reactions. You can't replace them all in one off season! People wanted to get rid of Haywood desperately because he was "soft"... would any of you argue we've improved at the center position since? That's what happens when you dig a hole with nothing to fill it. We can only REPLACE players not drop them out right because our backups aren't exactly bright spots at every position.

- McGee can't go anywhere unless he has a replacement via trade, draft, or free agency. There is no back up center as good (as much as it pains me to say it) on the roster. You don't like him? Neither do I as a starter (love him as a back up). Know who I like less as a starter? Hamady Ndiaye

- Andre Blatche is huge and like it or not can score, granted he's inefficient (understatement). Trevor Booker is undersized, being generous, and can't score consistently. He's an energy guy with some toughness on a team with no efficient scoring threats that makes him a back up. I'm not even going to talk about Yi. Blatche needs to be replaced with someone that can score in the post and hopefully doesn't have a spin move that makes wizards fan die a little on the inside.

- All of our small forwards are unproductive considering who they are. They score less than Blatche/Young and in the cases of Howard and Lewis don't really bring a motor to balance it out. If they are provided with easy buckets they get them, that's all they bring to the table. This position also needs a replacement we have no starter on the roster.

- Nick Young is convinced he's playing "SuperShot Basketball" at Dave and Busters. Jack as many shots up as you can because all that matters is how many points you end up with! Hopefully the fact that he's large for a shooting guard and put up decent stats some team will trade for him and give up something of value. Perhaps package him and Blatche as a scoring duo and get something back in return. Jordan Crawford isn't ideal but he's got a better head on his shoulders and is young enough to think he might have some upside.

In summary you need starters on this team, potentially four of them, and a new coach. Cutting anyone without a replacement would make the team worse IMO and that's kind of sad but it's the reality. Management has it's work cut out for them but being that the odds of having a season next year is next to zero they have two year to do it. This isn't a surprising situation when you consider we traded or got rid of:

- Arenas (starting guard)

- Haywood (starting center)

- Antwan Jamison (starting PF)

- Caron Butler (starting SF)

We never replaced them other than getting a better point guard but ending up with a bad shooting guard situation. Doing that again is not an option unless we want to be the worst team in basketball history. What the wizards did in essence was field a team of backup talent. It's time to upgrade.

Edited by Destino

I disagree that you need a top 5 player in the league.....the Pistons proved you can win a championship with a strong defensive team. But....besides that it has pretty much been two super starts on championship teams.

The Pistons were the ONLY team in NBA history to beat the system.

Nuff said.

I think Wall is gonna be the best PG in the league. Does that mean top 5 player? I don't know.

And that's not necessarily true either. See the Pistons.

I had floor seats to the Bulls/Wizards game at Verizon. Rose/Wall comparison was like comparing a Ferrari to a Prius.

But OK.

booker can score consistently

Not enough to make him a true scoring threat. The teams leading scorers are Young, Blatche, and Wall and none of them are real scoring threats consistently. Booker is well behind them in that department and until basketball changes the way the winners are determined you still need to score more than the other team.

People need to chill with the over reactions. You can't replace them all in one off season! People wanted to get rid of Haywood desperately because he was "soft"... would any of you argue we've improved at the center position since? That's what happen when you dig a hole with nothing to fill it. We can only REPLACE players not drop them out right because our backups aren't exactly bright spots at every position.

have you not seen how Haywood has worked out with Dallas? He signed that huge 50-60 million dollar contract in the offseason and he has started 6 games this year......the guy is averaging 6 pts and 5 rebounds per game...that is hilarious. Brenden did exactly what anyone who has been watching this team for the past 6 or 7 years knew he would do......he got paid....and he quit!

- McGee can't go anywhere unless he has a replacement via trade, draft, or free agency. There is no back up center as good (as much as it pains me to say it) on the roster. You don't like him? Neither do I as a starter (love him as a back up). Know who I like less as a starter? Hamady Ndiaye

There is a guy named Marc Gasol who is a FA this year....I'd suggest we do our best to bring him in

- Andre Blatche is huge and like it or not can score, granted he's inefficient (understatement). Trevor Booker is undersized, being generous, and can't score consistently. He's an energy guy with some toughness on a team with no efficient scoring threats that makes him a back up. I'm not even going to talk about Yi. Blatche needs to be replaced with someone that can score in the post and hopefully doesn't have a spin move that makes wizards fan die a little on the inside.

sometimes you get better by getting rid of cancer on your team. We need to rid our team of the lazy terrible attitude players like Dray Blatche. Ask anyone on here....I probably road with this guy longer than 95% of Wizards fans....but I'm done with the dude. He just doesn't have the mental toughness or right attitude to be a solid player and contributer in this league.....maybe he will flip the switch one offseason....but I'm sick of waiting for it to happen. Get rid of that bum!

- All of our small forwards are unproductive considering who they are. They score less than Blatche and with Howard and Lewis don't really bring a motor to balance it out. If they are provided with easy buckets they get them, that's all they bring to the table. This position also needs a replacement we have no starter on the roster.

we need to draft Harrison Barnes to fill this spot

- Nick Young is convinced he's playing "SuperShot Basketball" at Dave and Busters. Jack as many shots up as you can because all that matters is how many points you end up with! Hopefully the fact that he's large for a shooting guard and put up decent stats some team will trade for him and give up something of value. Perhaps package him and Blatche as a scoring duo and get something back in return. Jordan Crawford isn't ideal but he's got a better head on his shoulders and is young enough to think he might have some upside.

nick is actually pretty efficient for a shooting guard on a terrible team. His FG average is 44% and 3pt average is 39%....yeah, 44% could be better, but it isn't terrible; and 39% from three is very good considering we have no post presence and not too many threats on the perimeter either.

In summary you need starters on this team, potentially four of them, and a new coach. Cutting anyone without a replacement would make the team worse IMO and that's kind of sad but it's the reality. Management has it's work cut out for them but being that the odds of having a season next year is next to zero they have two year to do it.

I agree that we need 3 new starters on this team...I think Nick is starter quality....getting other quality players on the team will improve his play as well. Definitely need to get rid of Flip.....but again....I disagree about getting rid of players. Getting rid of Yi and Blatche would definitely improve this team.....because them not playing would open up minutes for other players on the team who would put forth more effort than they do.

Edited by Gator Bait

I had floor seats to the Bulls/Wizards game at Verizon. Rose/Wall comparison was like comparing a Ferrari to a Prius.

But OK.

Rose rookie season:

16.8ppg 6.3apg 3.9rpg 2.5TOpg

Wall

15.8ppg 8.6apg 4.6rpg 3.8TOpg

Rose also had a much better team. Joakim Noah, Luol Deng, Drew Gooden, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, and others.

But OK.

so you are comparing a rookie on a crappy team to a three year vet with a great supporting caste (who I might add is also in the running for MVP)...........you are kidding, right?

How about comparing rookie Steve Nash to two year vet Jason Kidd......who has two MVPs?

....I like how you threw in that you had floor seats though....really raises the value of your opinion

I agree that we need 3 new starters on this team...I think Nick is starter quality....getting other quality players on the team will improve his play as well. Definitely need to get rid of Flip.....but again....I disagree about getting rid of players. Getting rid of Yi and Blatche would definitely improve this team.....because them not playing would open up minutes for other players on the team who would put forth more effort than they do.

Point is you need to have them BEFORE dropping anyone or as part of a trade. Otherwise you risk a serious downgrade which this team can't deal with currently. We got rid of a starting playoff caliber roster and replaced them with bench players. Can't do that again.

Rose rookie season:

16.8ppg 6.3apg 3.9rpg 2.5TOpg

Wall

15.8ppg 8.6apg 4.6rpg 3.8TOpg

Rose also had a much better team. Joakim Noah, Luol Deng, Drew Gooden, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, and others.

Not saying Wall can't reach Rose's level. But live and in person, it's like Ferrari vs Prius. No comparison.

Yi lol. Does this dude realize that humans have the ability to get off their feet and jump?

Blatche and Yi as the PF tandem is cruel and unusual punishment.

I will say this... at least Yi doesn't do the spin move. haha sorry that's the best compliment I can think of for him.