Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I understand the quick shot, but that ain't the shot to take.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 12:42 AM ----------

Wow. Great inbounds play

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 12:45 AM ----------

NC State choked. Didn't even give themselves a chance to try to win.

Robinson needed to make the first one there. Overall, good game from him. 18 and 15 with two asists and two steals. Man he's a good rebounder. A lot of his defensive rebounds were him pulling them down one handed with two opponents swarming all over him and no other Kansas player anywhere to be found.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 12:48 AM ----------

Phew.

I didn't want to say anything before, but now that the game is over, Kansas winning means I've got the entire elite eight intact in my bracket. If Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, and Florida all win, I'll have the final four too.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 12:49 AM ----------

Withey's 10 block shots is a career high and is tied for second with Shawn Bradley and Cole Adrich in Tourney history. One shy of Shaq's tourney record.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 01:03 AM ----------

I think Davis, MKG, Robinson, and Beal have separated themselves as the best prospects in the class, in that order. Following them is Sully IMO, and following them is probably Barnes, then Drummond.

I think Austin Rivers could climb though. He's got NBA ready ball handling and finishing skills plus a good mid range game.

I also think Terrence Jones and John Henson are quality lotto picks who will translate pretty well to the NBA.

The Zellers could both be taken in the lottery in this year's class. Cody might want to stay in school though, to increase his value.

I think Teague should stay in school too.

I think Quincy Miller could slip to the late lottery or late teens if he comes out. At that point, I think the kid is an absolute steal.

If for some reason James McAdoo declared, he could be one of the steals of the class too. To me, he's a solid top five pick in next year's class. He reminds me of Blake Griffin.

Thomas Robinson was Kansas tonight. Everything they did was impacted by the amount of attention he was receiving.

He won't command that kind of defensive attention in the NBA for a while.

Robinson and Withey should be able to push Zeller and Henson around on Sunday. But Kansas is going to need to get some kind of contribution from their back court to beat UNC. UNC is a much deeper team.

He won't command that kind of defensive attention in the NBA for a while.

Robinson and Withey should be able to push Zeller and Henson around on Sunday. But Kansas is going to need to get some kind of contribution from their back court to beat UNC. UNC is a much deeper team.

I wanna see what he does againest the Carolina bigs those guys will play defense. T-Rob already turns the ball over at a high rate for a frontcourt player see how he handles guys longer then him.

There are some red flags with T-Rob in my opinion that are being overlooked because of the athletism. The guy did'nt get hardly any burn up until he is a 21 year old junior and he turns the ball over at a high rate for a big. He averaged 7mpg his freshman year and only 14mpg his sophmore year and still almost turned it over 1.5 times per game in only 14 minutes.

I would'nt take him over Sully no way, no how. Give me the fundamental brute who sets monster screens, hits the jumper, posts up, boxes out and rebounds. Sully starts over either Morris twin as a true freshman last year without a doubt.

I like T-Rob as a prospect but no way I take him top 3. I'd take Davis, MKG, Sully without question before him.

The problem with MKG is he is a 3 and he is'nt the best shooter either. This team needs guys who can stroke it like Barnes thats why alot of people are high on him with Wall. But Barnes will never be a # 1 option.

The hell was that last possession all about? How do you have no idea how much time is on the clock. Passing it with one second left? Boynton also took ten years to bring the ball up court.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 04:57 PM ----------

Patric Young could be a nice mid to late first round pick. Clear NBA physical skillset and a plus positional defender for such a young player. Nice motor. I see a more athletic version of Kendrick Perkins.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:02 PM ----------

Nasty shot from Beal right there.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:04 PM ----------

Boynton can shoot, but man he is a ****ty ball handler and point.

Beal's timing is just so good. It's insane that he leads Florida in rebounds.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:19 PM ----------

I've said it on twitter and I'll say it hear as well I really want to see either MKG or Bradley Beal in DC. I know we're pretty much out of the Anthony Davis sweepstakes and I'd take both those guys over Sullinger honestly

I always thought Sully was a high floor player but he's had a couple of games this year where I started to question that. I think he and Barnes ultimately become solid NBA players but they're limited. And Sully doesn't always play as smart and as energetic as his reputation claims.

Davis, Beal, MKG, and Robinson are the four top tier talents in the class IMO. I want one of them. And then depending on which we get, I'd love to see us trade back into the first and get a guy like Quincy Miller or Adonis Thomas.

I've said it on twitter and I'll say it hear as well I really want to see either MKG or Bradley Beal in DC. I know we're pretty much out of the Anthony Davis sweepstakes and I'd take both those guys over Sullinger honestly

Anthony Davis

Thomas RObinson

MKG

Beal

Sullinger scares me. He could have a huge impact, or he could turn out to be another Michael Sweetney.

Florida let Louisville hang around during the first half with so many really bad mistakes. They should have taken an insurmountable lead with how well they were shooting from 3. Only up by eight, not good enough. I can see them losing this game when the shots stop falling.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:31 PM ----------

Steve I was just talking about Quincy Miller been seeing him slipping to the late 1st I'd move up in a heartbeat to get him if he's there at 18 or 19 him and MKG would be a very good #2 #3 combo along with Wall

I wonder if he'll declare? Might make sense for him to go back to school and see if he can't raise his stock next year.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:32 PM ----------

It's nuts to me that the current crop of freshmen were born in 1993.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:41 PM ----------

Nobody on Florida can create their own shot. This is probably a legitimate weakness to consider with Beal.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:54 PM ----------

Man Louisville can really seize control of this game but they just can't stay on the ball and get consistent pressure on the shooters. Florida is finding the right shot almost every single trip down and they take a ton of time of the shot clock. Credit to Billy Donovan, this is a superbly coached team. But Louisville is the more talented team overall and should be winning.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 05:56 PM ----------

Geez Walker sucks. How can you build a team with so many outstanding shooters and not have a better PG than him?

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:17 PM ----------

God I can't stand watching Irving Walker play point. His court awareness is just the worst today.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:18 PM ----------

Why does he hang out and try and run the point at the half court line? Why is he sitting there trying to size up guys on his own end of the court?

I think we're in a bit of a dilemma with this draft class. It's tricky if a PF like Davis or Robinson isn't the clear BPA when we pick IMO.

Harrison Barnes and Brad Beal basically offer the same thing at different positions. Superior spot up shooter, good rebounding, solid defensive potential. Beal as a pure SG, Barnes as a pure SF.

Only Beal is of a decidely higher quality than Barnes IMO.

BUT, our problem is in the fact that neither can create their own shot, and the only guy on our roster that can do so aside from John Wall is the 6'4 Jordan Crawford.

Beal is better than Barnes, but if we take him, we have to figure out how to build a lineup that won't stagnate on offense. Beal, Wall, and Crawford can't all play together. Can't play three 6'4 players regularly. We'd already be pushing it against some teams, just putting a 6'4 guy on the Paul Georges of the league.

I don't like the idea of Wall being the only guy on our team with the ability to put the ball on the court and score. We need someone who can pull up and shoot from the dribble and get to the rim and score. We're not the Bulls. We'll never be on their level defensively to scoot by with only one creator.

So if we're getting rid of Jordan Crawford for an off ball spot up shooter like Beal, we need to find a 3 that can create. Where do you get that though? Those types of players are expensive.

Can a guy like Quincy Miller become that player?

I think things become simpler for us if we finish with a top 3 pick and get a great PF like Davis or Robinson or a shot creating and terrific all around SF in MKG.

Then we can just focus on adding shooters later and we don't have to do anything immediate with Crawford.

But if that doesn't happen and we get the fourth pick, what can we do? IMO you've just got to go BPA in the NBA draft given how much of a crap shoot it is. Take Beal and then work the roster out after. I'd be looking for the best scoring 3 or combo forward I could get a little later in the draft. I'd offer a package of Crawford and Vesely to start.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:31 PM ----------

Oh, and this comeback from Louisville was about as predictable as the sun.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:35 PM ----------

Apparently Kevin Harlan can't count. A three pointer when you're down by three is not "for the lead."

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:37 PM ----------

Erving Walker is a Senior? I don't believe it. He's the single biggest reason they lost the game. A PG who can't facilitate on a team full of spot up shooters is good for what?

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:43 PM ----------

Also, what a damn shame that Beal traveled after making the CLUTCH steal and that's how the game ended. I feel bad for him. That was a hell of a play. The kind of play that a star makes.. up until the travel.

I think we're in a bit of a dilemma with this draft class. It's tricky if a PF like Davis or Robinson isn't the clear BPA when we pick IMO.

Harrison Barnes and Brad Beal basically offer the same thing at different positions. Superior spot up shooter, good rebounding, solid defensive potential. Beal as a pure SG, Barnes as a pure SF.

Only Beal is of a decidely higher quality than Barnes IMO.

BUT, our problem is in the fact that neither can create their own shot, and the only guy on our roster that can do so aside from John Wall is the 6'4 Jordan Crawford.

Beal is better than Barnes, but if we take him, we have to figure out how to build a lineup that won't stagnate on offense. Beal, Wall, and Crawford can't all play together. Can't play three 6'4 players regularly. We'd already be pushing it against some teams, just putting a 6'4 guy on the Paul Georges of the league.

I don't like the idea of Wall being the only guy on our team with the ability to put the ball on the court and score. We need someone who can pull up and shoot from the dribble and get to the rim and score. We're not the Bulls. We'll never be on their level defensively to scoot by with only one creator.

So if we're getting rid of Jordan Crawford for an off ball spot up shooter like Beal, we need to find a 3 that can create. Where do you get that though? Those types of players are expensive.

Can a guy like Quincy Miller become that player?

I think things become simpler for us if we finish with a top 3 pick and get a great PF like Davis or Robinson or a shot creating and terrific all around SF in MKG.

Then we can just focus on adding shooters later and we don't have to do anything immediate with Crawford.

But if that doesn't happen and we get the fourth pick, what can we do? IMO you've just got to go BPA in the NBA draft given how much of a crap shoot it is. Take Beal and then work the roster out after. I'd be looking for the best scoring 3 or combo forward I could get a little later in the draft. I'd offer a package of Crawford and Vesely to start.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:31 PM ----------

Oh, and this comeback from Louisville was about as predictable as the sun.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:35 PM ----------

Apparently Kevin Harlan can't count. A three pointer when you're down by three is not "for the lead."

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 06:37 PM ----------

Erving Walker is a Senior? I don't believe it. He's the single biggest reason they lost the game. A PG who can't facilitate on a team full of spot up shooters is good for what?

Beal has really growed on me his body is very much much in the D-Wade mold even the way he rebounds.

But I don't see how anybody would take Robinson over Sully and I like TRob but he has red flags to me that would make me leery mainly 1 year wonder and TO's. When you look at body of work and fundamentals like setting screens, playing off screen action, posting up etc its a night and day difference. I think the Wizards mainly EG and alot of fans have become enamored with run jump athletes.

Beal has really growed on me his body is very much much in the D-Wade mold even the way he rebounds.

But I don't see how anybody would take Robinson over Sully and I like TRob but he has red flags to me that would make me leery mainly 1 year wonder and TO's. When you look at body of work and fundamentals like setting screens, playing off screen action, posting up etc its a night and day difference. I think the Wizards mainly EG and alot of fans have become enamored with run jump athletes.

While Sully is definitely the better offensive player, I think you're selling TRob's offense a little short.

I have him ranked over Sully because I worry about Sully's lack of athleticism and how that will translate against better players. Also in terms of defense & rebounding, I think TRob has Sully beat by as much as Sully has TRob beat on offense.

Steve I was just talking about Quincy Miller been seeing him slipping to the late 1st I'd move up in a heartbeat to get him if he's there at 18 or 19 him and MKG would be a very good #2 #3 combo along with Wall

That would be a nice combo but I think it gets a bit tricky since both are probably natural small forwards.

MKG looks like he's grown a lot this year. I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least 6'7, but mainly, he's filled out and looks really big--listed in the 230 range.

Playing him at the 2 and keeping him behind the three point line most of the time means you're kind of wasting that natural strength, size, and rebounding skills he brings to the table. I think you put him at the 3 and let him go.

I guess Quincy Miller could play the 2 but I doubt he's fast and explosive enough to start there. He's so tall too. You might as well put that 7'4 wingspan to work at the 3.

Neither can play PF though.

I actually think Beal and Miller would make an ideal combination as your perimeter guys for Wall. Miller can isolate his man and get to the rim and he can also spot up behind the line and offer an outlet for Wall. That way you just let Beal do what he does best without the pressure of having to handle the ball himself and generate his own offense. You can use him like that Reggie Miller/Ray Allen school SG he's meant to be.

If Miller declares, I think he slowly climbs until draft day and settles somewhere in the late lottery range. If we took Beal with our own pick, I would try my damndest to trade Crawford and Vesely and get back into that range to try and draft Miller. That way we round out our offense and generate a future ten man rotation that makes more sense than one built around Beal and Crawford with Singleton and Vesely as dead weight offensively at the three.

If that didn't work, I'd trade Booker and Crawford to move up. To me, that's an offer that should blow a late lotto team away. Then you start bulking Jan up with plans to start him at PF (where he belongs anyway).

If we draft Barnes, then we've got a bit of log jam at the forward spots of guys who are somewhat limited offensively, and need to figure out what to do with Booker, Singleton, and Vesely. One of them should be traded, because they'd be wasted value sitting on the bench and never getting time. Crawford has to either be kept, or upgraded with a better shot creator. Maybe we could take the opportunity to package either Booker or Vesely with Crawford to get a guy like Austin Rivers? I think Rivers has a higher ceiling than Crawford and is probably the best pure scorer in the class. The kid's handles and finishing moves are SICK. He's pretty much as instinctive and advanced as Dwyane Wade was when he came out... and he's a freshman.

So then you've taken Barnes and used the opportunity provided by a deep class to upgrade your 2 guard spot while evening out the talent in your forward rotation.

OR, if we are lucky enough to take MKG, then I think you still have some work to do to get the offense right. You still need to sort out the forward spot since MKG is playing small forward, but as a ball handler who's forte is not working off ball and spotting up from mid to long range, we might want to upgrade Crawford with a pure shooter at the two.

Then I think you try and build some sort of package around Crawford and a forward that includes a mid first to spend on someone like Terrence Ross. Ross is a shooter who can use his length and quick release to get his shot off in minimal space. He's fast and can cut to the basket and get open off screens, and he'd be tall for a SG, giving him nice NBA potential as a post up scorer. His crap handles aren't a problem when he's surrounded by Wall and MKG, as he could just focus on getting the most out of his pure shooting ability.

FINALLY, if we do draft a pure PF like Davis or Robinson or even Sully, I still think we need to make some moves to take advantage of the depth of the class.

We'd definitely need to generate more offense from our other forward position. Having Singleton and Vesely at SF is redundant. Moving Vesely to PF like he's been playing most of the year leaves us with no depth at SF and forces us to play bad three guard lineups. Having Robinson/Davis/Sully, Booker, and Vesely at PF is too many bodies and either Booker or Vesely would need to be traded.

If we take Robinson, I'd like to see us trade Booker or Vesely to find a true scoring three in the draft--preferably Miller, but I think we could also take Ross and play him here.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

While Sully is definitely the better offensive player, I think you're selling TRob's offense a little short.

I have him ranked over Sully because I worry about Sully's lack of athleticism and how that will translate against better players. Also in terms of defense & rebounding, I think TRob has Sully beat by as much as Sully has TRob beat on offense.

Agreed. I think Robinson has much better upside as an NBA defender than Sully and he's already a better rebounder. I think he's got a better motor than Sully does, and is more of the prototypical NBA PF than Sully.

I think Sully is ultimately an NBA center with some shooting range, with a smallish PF's height. He's grounded and his footspeed isn't good.

Sully's shooting ability isn't that much better than Robinson's all told. His advanced post offense is where he really outstrips Robinson, but Robinson still gets a lot of buckets from isolation post up plays and can really develop in this area.

I think Sully is a limited NBA starting PF. I don't think Robinson has any serious NBA limitations as a PF.

Ultimately Beal will never be as good as DWade because he'll never be as good a ball handler and attacker IMO. But I can see what you mean about his body type. He's about the same height, but with really long arms and a really chiseled frame.

I'm not as worried about TRob's lack of minutes his first two years. He's not some system player because he's got an NBA body and is a ridiculous athlete and his skillset really screams NBA IMO. Much more so than Sully's, who is much more in that mold of the great college player that isn't big or fast enough to be a natural fit at either Center or PF in the NBA.

I think his upside is lower than TRob's, and the year of difference in their ages doesn't mean that much to me. Absolute best case scenario, I think Sully is an Al Jefferson--excellent scoring PF who you have to cover up on the defensive end. Maybe he's a little worse defender since Jefferson is probably a bit taller/longer and a bit more athletic.

Best case scenario for TRob is as a slightly less versatile scoring Blake Griffin.

---------- Post added March-24th-2012 at 07:31 PM ----------

Sully already has two fouls and will probably sit the rest of the half. Switching over to the Wizards game.